Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th December 2015, 18:08   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Picture of thief buying a car on fake demand draft (Rajasthan) - Please help locate / identify h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Easy thing will be for them to get hold of the PAN card of some benami person and do the transaction in his name.

I remember when cricketer Azharuddin's son was killed speeding on a superbike, the vehicle was found to be registered in the name of some petty shopkeeper / scrap metal dealer etc, a poor person who could hardly afford a tvs 50 moped let alone a superbike.

He had been given a few hundred rupees to be the front for the paperwork to stop the taxman asking questions about the cost price of that bike. Ended up arrested after the accident.

There are all these whatsapp forward warnings (for once with good advice) that tell you not to use your PAN card as an identifier for railway ticket bookings as people tend to get hold of lists of name + PAN card and use those to make benami cash purchases of gold, cars etc.
Going OT on the Azharuddin's case. The bike was registered on the poor scrap dealers name, because it was a gray import, at that time there were no official superbike sales in India. So almost all superbikes were gray market types registered in the names of cooks and maids and what not.

Plus if one misuses someone else's PAN card, how will he prove that the name and the photo belongs to him? I can't use my name/address to buy a car using your Pan card containing your name and picture? If I use a fraud pan card with your details and my picture, I will get caught sooner than later when the tax man knocks on your door regarding my transaction.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 18:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Picture of thief buying a car on fake demand draft (Rajasthan) - Please help locate / identify h

Superbike illegal import was the other part of it - but then th RTO was in those days not allowed to register such vehicles at all whether for a cricketer or a scrap dealer. Ok accepted that the registration ban was a factor.

Regarding the PAN misuse, the PAN itself tends to be old and faded and with a faint / smudgy Xerox machine all you can vaguely see in the thumbnail photo on the card is a generic male face and maybe visible distinguishing characteristics like a visible mole or scar, huge mustache or long beard as opposed to an ordinary mustache / IT company program manager French beard etc common style

If the face is generic enough nobody notices the difference in a fuzzy Xerox. And IT officials probably get a copy of the transaction made against that PAN, not a scan of the PAN card Xerox or original submitted PAN card, so they wouldn't notice either.

Most people bank on such transactions not being caught at all due to the very high volume of them and the difficulty of tracing someone who may have only one name, and an address in the rabbit warren of a typical slum, to figure out which middleman paid him to borrow his ID card for a few hours.

Last edited by hserus : 26th December 2015 at 18:20.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 16:55   #63
BHPian

That's really a shocking incident with the dealership and while people raise questions over the authenticity of Demand Drafts, let me tell that most of dealerships used to accept DO (delivery orders) issued by various DSA (direct sales associates) of various banks till sometime back. It was some sort of pre approvals from the bank and dealers used to accept it widely and deliver the cars on the behalf of DO itself.
Coming back to current scenario, DD are still widely accepted money instruments and hardly any dealer verifies the same atleast in NCR region. I have bought many cars from various dealers, while I deposit the earnest/margin money with my bank, Bank issues the DD for full amount, which dealer accepts gladly and the car is delivered within 30 mins flat (that includes registration/insurance/PDI etc.). However the RC takes sometime (usually 2-3 weeks) and has to be collected from the dealer later on.
So blaming dealer entirely for the goofup will be wrong, having said that, such malpractices would create suspicion and hassles for genuine buyers.
I sincerely wish that this fraudster is caught really soon.
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 08:41   #64
BHPian

The CON MAN is on his mission again and this time in Korba.

Shocking news in today morning's Hitawada. Having followed this thread , the image of this thief was etched on our minds. So one could immediately recognize this person as being the same one.

Seems after his escapades in Rajasthan, Haryana and Punjab he shifted to Chattisgadh and has used the same modus operandi and bought a Hyundai Accent. Please see the article below.
Picture of thief buying a car on fake demand draft (Rajasthan). EDIT: Culprit found?-img_20160107_073735.jpg

Last edited by nkghai : 7th January 2016 at 08:53. Reason: clearer picture
nkghai is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 10:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
The CON MAN is on his mission again and this time in Korba.

Shocking news in today morning's Hitawada. Having followed this thread , the image of this thief was etched on our minds. So one could immediately recognize this person as being the same one.

Seems after his escapades in Rajasthan, Haryana and Punjab he shifted to Chattisgadh and has used the same modus operandi and bought a Hyundai Accent. Please see the article below.
Shocking, how this old fart is hoodwinking dealerships and driving off scott free. It won't be long till this guy is nabbed.

BTW, the car is an Xcent. Not Accent, which is a discontinued model from Hyundai.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 10:52   #66
BHPian

I like this man. For a change, dealers are on the receiving end. They seem to be talking like they are Jesus Christs of this world and probably Satan takes over their poor souls while charging legal/handling fees and many such shenanigans
chakri400 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 11:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Very strange that this man poses willingly for the "handing over" photographs at the dealership. It's almost as if he's daring them to catch him if they can.

I should think it's only a matter of time before he's caught.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 12:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Heck, its just getting better and better. So whats his target? 1 car a month or two?

A lot of people here commented that dealerships have always waited for the DD to clear before handing over the car. Worth noting that this guy is preferring to target dealerships in Tier III cities. The controls here would be lesser than those in Tier I & II. Hence he is able to get away shopping 1 each month.

A fraudster but got to give it to this guy. He is just doing it like it happens in movies. Spending time with locals, stealing their ID's and forging his photo on it. Then sweet talking the dealers in trusting him and then, "Gone with the wind". All this he does in a month or so.
Still unclear what he does with the cars though.

EDIT: Wouldn't be surprised if some bollywood director uses his story and makes a movie out of it.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 7th January 2016 at 12:58.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 12:33   #69
BHPian

This guy should have pulled the same stunt with Senator Skoda, it would've been fantastic

But I'm bewildered as to how these guys hand over the car without encashing the DD?

He'll get caught if he is trying his luck too often, Moral stands aside, have to give it to the guy for his planned robbery

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 7th January 2016 at 12:58.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 12:35   #70
BHPian

This has been said before - this case totally reminds me of the movie Catch me if you can ! The modus operandi seems to be the same - hand over bad cheques / DD which cannot be immediately verified and vanish with the booty !

It is quite strange that he has been posing for photographs. I am assuming that the cars are registered and this guy will be selling them off immediately without any hassles thus earning quite a profit (100% in this case).
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 12:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post

It is quite strange that he has been posing for photographs. I am assuming that the cars are registered and this guy will be selling them off immediately without any hassles thus earning quite a profit (100% in this case).
I doubt this is a one mad operation. Perhaps the senior citizen is simply a face of the scam and when the time comes will turn disposable.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 16:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
This has been said before - this case totally reminds me of the movie Catch me if you can ! The modus operandi seems to be the same - hand over bad cheques / DD which cannot be immediately verified and vanish with the booty !

Definitely can't be registered if he purchased it over the new year weekend. The banks are closed - how / where will any local RTO office remain open?

He probably said he will do the registration himself because his nephew is an RTO clerk and can get it done bribe free or whatever, and took the car off on temporary TC plates.

Which is another breach of controls on the part of the dealer. They are not supposed to do that at all.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 17:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely can't be registered if he purchased it over the new year weekend. The banks are closed - how / where will any local RTO office remain open?

He probably said he will do the registration himself because his nephew is an RTO clerk and can get it done bribe free or whatever, and took the car off on temporary TC plates.

Which is another breach of controls on the part of the dealer. They are not supposed to do that at all.
Well I am from same state and can vouch for the fact the vehicles with temporary registration can ply for weeks, if not months. I believe this would be common practice in many cities!
ksameer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 19:09   #74
BHPian

Quote:
He probably said he will do the registration himself, and took the car off on temporary TC plates.

I believe your statement above is incorrect. The dealer only has to insure that the insurance is in effect and that the car has temp registration. The dealer cannot insist on anything more.

I personally have purchased 2 cars with insurance done by my co. agent and the dealer only charged me for CRTM ( temp registration)

Last edited by john doe : 7th January 2016 at 19:11.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 19:20   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Very strange that this man poses willingly for the "handing over" photographs at the dealership. It's almost as if he's daring them to catch him if they can.

I should think it's only a matter of time before he's caught.
Frankly I would not recognize him to be the same person if the various photos in this thread were shown to me at random among a bunch of photos of others.

Also, he has a different facial expression in each anin't he? The first foto posted by the OP (which is by far the vivid one) has this person looking at the camera with a twisted frown. The foto in his license/ ID in the same post itself seems to be of a different person IMO.

So yes, this guy is a pro and sure seems to be good at disguise. Also there has to be a gang behind him for sure. Can't believe one soul can do all this and still get away with the same.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote