Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th January 2016, 17:03   #226
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

A few points:

1. The vehicle is overpriced-but it is a good option to those who are in the interior markets and looking for alternatives to Maruti.
2. Tall boy design & Mahindra's famed Ride and handling need to be evaluated- I dont think it will match the Zica/Kwid
3. First EPS by Mahindra (not considering the Supro CVs)
4. Tiny tyres- take the so called"SUV" look to the garbage bin
5. Vehicle is loaded with gizmos- look at the warning lights in the cluster
6. Front lamps go upto the A pillar They could as well as integrated the front "wrap around" light with the rear
7. Actual Efficiency figures need to be monitored- a heavy hatch may not give the FE
8. Engine performace with 6 on board & luggage may not be hair raising-add to that the 3 cylinder scene. Lets hope its like the 2.2 hawks- I also dont believe in the eco-power modes
9. Rear Visibility is non existent (literally)- Front Visibility is poor (non existent for short drivers). Pillow business is going to benefit from this vehicle
10. All black interiors are friendly
11. LED mood lights are cool
12. Cluster is too jazzy for my liking
13. Rear Door handles do not appear to be practical
14. Ergonomics are going to be a hit or a miss
15. The 6 Seater front bench fore aft adjustment may be problematic

WRT Zica the KUV appears to be an immature design. Tata now has the opportunity to price zica correctly and milk it accordingly.

KUV appears to be a better quality KWID. But for the price I would rather buy 2 KWIDs in place of the KUV.

Awaiting a BHP Review eagerly.

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 15th January 2016 at 17:06.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 17:10   #227
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

That's a oddly placed gear lever. Looks like it's about to shoot someone.

The kuv is definitely a hate it or love it design. No middle ground whatsoever. Neutral, inoffensive, unassuming it certainly is not.
Old 15th January 2016, 17:25   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Found this on twitter
Attachment 1460913

Design does look a bit quirky, but i think it is consistent with the design theme of Mahindra I guess.
Dear arun_kun,

I like the paternity test concept!

I have a feeling if someone were to do a similar comparison with XUV500, the issue would be more interesting.
The KUV100 looks like a shrunk version of the XUV500 - at least to me.
Not that there are no differences! Just that - to me - it feels that way. Just like the Disney movies show the 'baby' versions with bigger head, the KUV100 seems to have a bigger than proportionate front. It is subjective - but - I like it!

I am not in the market for such a car. However, if they come out with automatic, then I might consider it - just!

Girish Mahajan
Old 15th January 2016, 17:27   #229
BHPian

KUV100 first drive review by Overdrive Magazine.

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 15th January 2016 at 17:28. Reason: missed the attachment
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 17:35   #230
BHPian

Except for the small tires, this car is right in the spot to give a choice to all swift/i10/i20 buyers.
I find it value for money and going by the pedigree of mhawk engines, I expect good performance from diesel one.
However, most of bhpian here might not like it but it doesnt matter, look at XUV launch thread and its sales.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 17:36   #231
BHPian

Here is another first drive review of KUV100 by Motown India.

Old 15th January 2016, 17:41   #232

KUV1OO, the design and looks of the vehicle gives me something more apt than calling it a Kool Utility Vehicle.. it should have been "Kuchbhi" Utility vehicle.. As far as the design is concerned it is ugly.period. I've seen the vehicle in flesh and it only confirms my opinion. And given the price of top ends being somewhere between 7 to 8 lakh rupees its not going to be value for money.
Old 15th January 2016, 17:51   #233
BHPian

I drove both the models today the diesel and petrol .

First and foremost it doesn't look bad in real . The paint quality and overall build quality I found better then maruti celerio . Even the interiors are very good .

The gear lever placement is actually so ergonomically good and the gear shifts are smooth,short and precise in diesel version . I found them notchy in petrol verison .

The diesel has superb driveablity and its fun to drive . Even the nvh is nicely controlled .

However the petrol is underwhelming and not fun to drive plus is noisy and not refined .

Overall the diesel is a nice attempt by mahindra . It would have been better if they had called it a hatchback rather then suv .
al pacino is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 18:25   #234
BHPian

From the looks of it another decent interior design from Mahindra following the TUV. The material quality also looks good at least in pictures.

Mahindra seem to be doing a better job at interiors than exteriors. Remember that another successful manufacturer adopted the same strategy - Hyundai. The initial designs were pretty quirky but interiors were always quite good.

The hatch opening seems to be a particularly bad design. How is anyone supposed to fit a medium size suitcase through that opening? They should have split the tail lamp, placed half of it on the hatch and made the opening wider. This level of oversight is amateurish these days to say the least.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 15th January 2016, 18:49   #235
BHPian

Just visited the Mahindra Showroom nearby; It is noteworthy that the car "doesn't look bad" but that is where it ends, This car (Hatch, not SUV) isn't going to win any beauty pageants. Having said that, the paint quality and interior finish does look good. It isn't as ugly as it looks in the pictures

But Mahindra needs to be commended for continuing to be in the SUV segment (this one being a pseudo SUV?) , what Maruti has been in the hatch back space

Effectively a buyer has options to choose from 5L (KUV) to 25L (Rexton) from the same manufacturer and Mahindra woulnd't mind a lot of cross shopping happening within the showroom

Some Points:

- The car is at best a tall hatch back and not a SUV
- High Stance with perceived high GC (Is that all it takes for a vehicle to be classified as a SUV?) would be the USP given our road conditions
- The seat size and quality is not really premium and the car screams for for space. The seats also lack under thigh support
- Rear Legroom and headroom is on the lower side
- The headlamps DO NOT extend all the way to the bonnet and that is a design aesthetic only (more plastic parts?)
- According to the SA, the Headlamps are inspired by a Sun glass design, i.e. the eyes wearing a sun glass frame with the sides being the frame or the hinge
- The 6th seat acts as a WIDE arm rest with cup holders when not in use, which should make it a happy place for the front passengers
- Boot space is average, only comparable to some of the larger hatchbacks
- Was apprehensive about the handbrake location, but it isn't a deterrent when the handbrake is not engaged
- Just upgrading the tires might do a lot to the looks of the vehicle, because those wheels are best suited to Auto Rickshaws

I Did not test drive the vehicle as I am not a prospective buyer and was in the showroom to inquire about the XUV A/T

This car will sell, because it ain't no quanto; and expect it to make a dent in the Premium Hatchback space as well as the "Sub" compact SUV space

Some pictures (please excuse the picture quality)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-wp_20160115_001.jpg  

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-wp_20160115_003.jpg  

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-wp_20160115_004.jpg  

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-wp_20160115_005.jpg  

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-wp_20160115_006.jpg  

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-wp_20160115_008.jpg  

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-wp_20160115_010.jpg  

Last edited by amit_2025 : 15th January 2016 at 19:16.
amit_2025 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 19:06   #236
Senior - BHPian

The more I see this, the more I hate it from the bottom of my heart. This is a joke car with horrendously tasteless design. Just like village loud mouth idiot who wears shady govinda clothes, red/pink shades, whistles at girls and thinks he is the most eligible bachelor around. No substance, no class, just trying really incredibly hard to look good and ending up looking like a complete jack arse. Sorry but with this styling, a complete anti thesis of subtle, I cannot take this car seriously.

An awful awful looking car which demeans car design and everything good that cars stand for. God it is an eyesore. If you have any class or an appreciation for finer things in life or even a general idea about car design, you would not touch it with a barge pole.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 15th January 2016 at 19:07.
extreme_torque is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 19:06   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post

Some Points:

- The car is at best a tall hatch back and not a SUV
- High GC (Is that all it takes for a vehicle to be classified as a SUV?) would be the USP given our road conditions

Well it's got just 170mm GC which, if I am not mistaken is lesser than the 2015 Figo which is at 174mm.

That way Figo is a better SUV according to Mahindra, eh? :P

That is obviously in a lighter vein!

Last edited by teemus : 15th January 2016 at 19:13.
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 19:15   #238
BHPian

I must say KUV100 is the first Mahindra car that has impressed me seriously. Liked the front stance and mainly well designed interiors, K8 variant is loaded with practical features. When it comes to design it is not going to be liked by everyone and given the success Kwid has enjoyed with a SUV like design It will manage to grab young buyers attention for sure and sell decent numbers.

I am not comparing KUV100 with the new Baleno (compact SUV vs Premium Hatchback) but it definitely offers better VFM proposition for a diesel car in the 8 lakh price bracket, top end diesel variant of KUV100 is 80K cheaper than Baleno Zeta Diesel (On-road Pune Price)

Even on paper the Diesel engine nudges slightly ahead in power delivery:

Power
KUV100 - 77 bhp @ 3750 RPM Vs. MS Baleno - 74 bhp @ 4000 RPM
Torque
KUV100 - 190Nm @ 1750 RPM Vs. MS Baleno - 190NM @ 2000 RPM

This time Mahindra has made a sincere effort with KUV100 and I hope it manages to sell well in coming days.
KreativeGeek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 19:17   #239
BHPian

I think by and large most people here seem to have reservations about the way the KUV looks. According to me it is quite a disaster in auto design.
However looks are subjective and so I am attempting to list down reasons/excuses I would give had I to buy it -
1. A tough looking exterior with a high stance
2. Instead of owning a hatchback which are scattered all over, this car will enjoy the novelty for a while
3. Can accommodate one more individual in the front ala our old premier padminis and ambassadors.
4. Claimed FE figures are competitive
5. Look at that head light. Most unique
6. I can also get the bells and whistles with steering controls, Bluetooth, air bags...
7. Its mahindra and locally made. Must be cheaper to own

Ok now I am running out of any more reasons. I think there are a lot of buyers who do not think of design or car performance figures like some of us do. Its such an individual thing after all.

Well so in all probability, there is a good chance this car might sell due to the novelty aspect.

As for me, I would not want to be seen dead in it.
The Goan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 19:22   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Well it's got just 170mm GC which, if I am not mistaken is lesser than the 2015 Figo which is at 174mm.
Is their any removable protection plate like in the XUV 5OO, to increase the GC?
Closed Thread