Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2016, 12:18   #301
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 117
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

I for one is in love with this car. I love the design, loved it more when saw it in flesh. I live next to M&M Showroom. I could not find one reason not to love this. I would however will like a bigger size tyre. I will put my money on this once they have the AMT ( Next upgrade needs to be an AMT). I would be ready to buy a new vehicle somewhere end of this year and early next year. This IS also when all the niggles will come to the fore and get sorted out.
ajitsank is offline  
Old 17th January 2016, 12:22   #302
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
.........might have given this seat for short rides like inside college campus or hostel campus or in high traffic areas where you won't even cross 20 or 30kph.
I'd say that is a reasonable take on this whole middle front seat question. Why do we forget that pre-1980's bench front seats & dashboard hand-brake levers (tho' with column shift gear levers) were popular and well accepted. Following global trends in safety (both passive & structural) is fine, but how many of these mfrs. launch products in India meeting global safety ratings? Just providing a couple of frontal air bags as a token gesture (with no transparency in their manufacturing or testing standards) wont save the occupants in a side impact because there is no structural safety there. Let's not forget that all mfrs (Mahindra, Tata and most of the overseas brigade) are in it for the money & don't really worry how safe their products are or how many fatal accidents they are involved in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
I see a lot of flak around the design and the fact that this is being sold as an SUV. When BMW can sell an estate looking X1 as an SUV, an Ecosport which is no taller than a Swift as an SUV, why not this? .....
Another great take on this question - why not indeed? Probably because Mahindra & Tata also decided to climb the hatch-on-steroids gravy train which was, till now, presumably the preserve of a select few mfrs. All the rest of the carping about the KUV's exterior - design malfunction, mish-mash of design cues, artistic affront to one's sensibilities et al - seems to be just so much subjective & personal bias/prejudice. I'd certainly like to hear the views of the few actual car designers/designers-in-the-making among our T-BHP members about their take on the KUV! This is one of the reasons why T-BHP is where it is today - they have among their members those who are qualified to walk-the-talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
With all due respect, based on your comments on this thread as well as the TUV300 thread, you seem to have a low tolerance for the unconventional. Anything that is not low slung and not a close approximation of a sedan seems to be a design fiasco. Did you scoff at iphone when it was released? Just kidding
I agree that there are too many creases and style elements on the KUV but in black, most of it fades away....If people are ready to spend money on the polo cross, liva cross & the i20 active, then why not the KUV100? Build is good, safety is top notch & the car has all the trappings that an urban first car buyer might look for.
As you say, to each his own! As a species, we have a great deal more (& more complex!) hard-wiring in our cerebral make-up than the proverbial grains of sand - the reason for the massive diversity of opinion that we have on all things, including the KUV's exterior!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If you havent understood, it is the other way around here and I will leave it at that.
That was the whole point! The shades & the car's design - one leading to the other from either starting point, so to speak! As we all know the fortunes of the revered Italian design studios have seen huge ups & downs (Pininfarina isn't the only one to have been reduced to making furniture, prior to the rescue by M&M!). So why not take inspiration from one (shades) to the get to the other (the KUV exterior), however tacky the outcome maybe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You could not be more .....Sumo Grande is a proportional design.
As I have said in one of the above posts, I'm looking forward to the views from actual car designers & those in the making (from among our members) and what their views are on this deeply controversial (but not earth-shaking!) issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
... ABS and EBD standard on all models is a feat, considering the competition. Optional airbags on all models is something that other manufacturers seriously need to adopt...I really hope this car sells well. The Tata Zica which will be battling with the KUV is also an excellent vehicle, and it goes to show how much progress cars made my Indian manufacturers have experienced, and I hope to see more of such commendable products.
A great point made by you prakhar - ABS & EBD standard across the range is an extra-ordinary step for this segment. I just wish they would astonish us some more by introducing AWD at some point - that would be the icing on the cake and might just provide the incentive for the other mfrs to follow. In 1994/95 when our ship called at Aomori (North Japan, very hilly with picture-postcard countryside and steep roads) we noticed that quite a few of the small cars there (including the original version of our Wagon R!) were all running on AWD. So, obviously, the technology & the economies of production have been there all along & only the market needs to demand this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Quirkiness or ugliness may or may not have a new name. But this car/SUV is going to sell well, if it drives well and is trouble free. At this juncture, it makes me remember Mr. B.V.R. Subbu's words during the launch of the Santro. He said that when one is behind the wheel, one is not going to see it.
Prophetic words indeed! I hope it proves true for the KUV too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
We are rarely taught beauty. It is something we feel. Something good to look at will be good to look at, wherever you see. May be you are right in saying that we can find beauty, but why do we need to find it. If it is there, it is there. Why can't we say that the car is ugly, if we feel it is ugly. Are we hurting it's sentiments?
How many of us finds a Beetle, Porsche, Ferrari, Honda Civic, even a i20 or Scorpio ugly? KUV is not pleasing to all and that is not because we hate Mahindra but because we did not like the looks of this car.
Deeply poetic I'm sure & no doubt many would empathise. Unfortunately there are those who find nothing beautiful about the Beetle (revolutionary, practical and durable certainly - at least the original, air-cooled, rear-engined RWD version! - but beautiful....well now!), & Porsche too had its share of ugly ducklings - ask anyone about the 914 or the 928 & they'd hurriedly change the subject! Lively performers sure, but beautiful....
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 12:37   #303
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Deeply poetic I'm sure & no doubt many would empathise. Unfortunately there are those who find nothing beautiful about the Beetle (revolutionary, practical and durable certainly - at least the original, air-cooled, rear-engined RWD version! - but beautiful....well now!), & Porsche too had its share of ugly ducklings - ask anyone about the 914 or the 928 & they'd hurriedly change the subject! Lively performers sure, but beautiful....
People might be finding Beetle ugly, but they will be in extremely low in numbers. And regarding Porsche, I agree that KUV is to Mahindra what 914 was to Porsche, an ugly duckling.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 13:10   #304
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 881
Thanked: 845 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post


All the rest of the carping about the KUV's exterior - design malfunction, mish-mash of design cues, artistic affront to one's sensibilities et al - seems to be just so much subjective & personal bias/prejudice.

I'd certainly like to hear the views of the few actual car designers/designers-in-the-making among our T-BHP members about their take on the KUV! This is one of the reasons why T-BHP is where it is today - they have among their members those who are qualified to walk-the-talk.
.
I agree to most of your post and particularly first part of the quoted section.

I am however confused by the second part. The whole walk the talk part. This is akin to say that only musically trained are qualified to pass comments on Music or only film directors can comment on how good or bad a movie is.

Although you do not specifically state it, I believe the post does imply that what actual designers think of the design matter more than what the general public does. If it is so, then I respectfully disagree. Cars are not designed only for designers but for the common man and what each of us feel about the design has the exact same value in the larger picture as what the professionals feel.
vibbs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 14:14   #305
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
That was the whole point! The shades & the car's design - one leading to the other from either starting point, so to speak! As we all know the fortunes of the revered Italian design studios have seen huge ups & downs (Pininfarina isn't the only one to have been reduced to making furniture, prior to the rescue by M&M!). So why not take inspiration from one (shades) to the get to the other (the KUV exterior), however tacky the outcome maybe!
No that is not the point. You do not take a design brief literally else the so called Cheetah based XUV500 would have come with a tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I predict that the KUV will settle down at 10000 units monthly especially as the XUV seells like 3000-4000 monthly.
Only if wishers were horses. I can bet my life that this is not going to happen.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th January 2016 at 02:03. Reason: Please use the edit button instead of creating successive posts within a short time.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 16:05   #306
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 244
Thanked: 406 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
This has become the most common type of comments on threads related to Tata and Mahindra.

Tell me, do you mean that if did not like the design we should still say we liked it? Or do you intend to say that we don't call a spade a spade when its manufactured by non desi company?

Have you seriously not seen the number of posts flaming Hyundai over their lifeless steerings and sof suspension? Or comments VAG recieves on horrible after sales and reliability of DSG. There is a thread dedicated only to focus on how Honda has cut corners when it comes to quality on Honda City. Innumerable posts that condemn Toyota for appalling interior quality on Etios twins, on how everything that GM does in India is wrong.

All this is not rant or bashing, it is what the forum readers and members feel about certain cars and being displayed on forum. Definitely not confined only to threads on cars manufactured by Desi companies.
That Indians in general don't call a spade a spade is well known and that is my exact point.

Let us stick to design alone.

If Tata sticks to the Indica shell in a Vista ,most people say its bad. What about the Honda City? The 3rd and 4th generations resemble each other yet people keep buying it in droves.

The truth is Indians seem to be critical about Indian brands instead of being the other way around.
Ragavsr is offline  
Old 17th January 2016, 16:32   #307
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 881
Thanked: 845 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
That Indians in general don't call a spade a spade is well known and that is my exact point.

Let us stick to design alone.

If Tata sticks to the Indica shell in a Vista ,most people say its bad. What about the Honda City? The 3rd and 4th generations resemble each other yet people keep buying it in droves.

The truth is Indians seem to be critical about Indian brands instead of being the other way around.
We are going . so this will be my last post on the topic.

But I really don't know what to say. Indica is more than a decade old design language. Tata's deviation from that in bolt was applauded and lot of people here have liked what has come out in form of Zica.

Honda City sold in great numbers because frankly there was not much competition in the market till Fluidic Verna came along. It was natural City sold well. When latest city was launched many people didn't like the fact that Honda adopted Hyundai fludic treatment for City. That was mentioned here. So was the fact that not many people liked the Mobilio design language which is another Honda.

But I seriously don't get your point. If we did not like the quirky designs of KUV do we still say we like it just because its manufactured by an Indian firm?

Where is the Indian non Indian bias coming in here? And why should Indians be critical of other brands just because they are non Indian brands?

Last edited by vibbs : 17th January 2016 at 16:34.
vibbs is online now  
Old 17th January 2016, 18:18   #308
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I don't understand all the bashing about the design. Whenever the domestic car makers come up something new and quirky they are bashed to death, they are also bashed if they don't refresh their designs.

The same people would go ga-ga if the same side slashes were to be done by Hyundai.

I predict that the KUV will settle down at 10000 units monthly especially as the XUV seells like 3000-4000 monthly.

The design is quirky in a good way, The interiors are good, the engines are peppy, the ground clearance is good and price though higher than expected is in no way overpriced.
Sorry, just because its new does not mean its nice and domestic car makers get bashed because they come out with the most crap. Tell me one Hyundai car which was launched and is pathetic looking for anyone of us to bash it?

If I were to name Indian ones, I have a long list, so they are getting what they deserve.

And I highly doubt KUV will even achieve half of the 10000 numbers you have stated. The storm will die in a matter of weeks and this will just be another TUV kind of fad which went away in no time.

Sorry, but this is just my opinion. To an Indian, a car needs to be have design, a wow factor for starters, none of this the KUV has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
That Indians in general don't call a spade a spade is well known and that is my exact point.

Let us stick to design alone.

If Tata sticks to the Indica shell in a Vista ,most people say its bad. What about the Honda City? The 3rd and 4th generations resemble each other yet people keep buying it in droves.

The truth is Indians seem to be critical about Indian brands instead of being the other way around.
Hasn't Mahindra done the same with the XUV and Scorpio too ? And Honda City is far more accomplished, superior quality and reliability wise, its almost on par with a Toyota, can any Indian brand match the reliability of a Honda or a Toyota ?

The truth is, when buying a car, all that Desh bhakti goes out of the window, people are just looking at cars that look good and will last the most. Even if one of these is perfect, the chances of success are very high.

Last edited by humyum : 17th January 2016 at 18:22.
humyum is offline  
Old 17th January 2016, 18:39   #309
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Sorry, just because its new does not mean its nice and domestic car makers get bashed because they come out with the most crap. Tell me one Hyundai car which was launched and is pathetic looking for anyone of us to bash it?
Sorry man i couldn't resist this. Are you saying egg shaped old i20 was a good looking car. To me indica was a lot better looking car. And i dont want to even talk about the boring i10.

See people like me want and like cars with more space and lots of lines. Of course some bling to if needed. So if you can give a list of bad looking cars from indian manufacturer then lots would have the same about rest of world.

Kuv100 as i am considered is going to sell in decent numbers and trust me everyone is going to follow suit to launch similar micro suv thingey.

As far as i see here both maruti and hyundai are always praised for their reliability and good ass. But i wonder why good looking eon is not even selling one fourth of alto series. Probably taste of general public are completely different than what we think.
msk_kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 18:53   #310
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 210 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Saw one in the flesh as i was driving past St. Marks road today - was not so pleasing to my eye , car looks/appears smaller than from the pictures/ads. Now this is totally opposite to my experience with the TUV 3 double O. In pics i did not like it but when i saw it in the flesh ( and every time i see one) it really looks much better.

Will be interesting to see the sales charts and how the KUV performs vis-a-vis the Zica ( which i am yet to see in the flesh).

Curious to know what will be the next car/SUV/Pseudo SUV from Mahindra stable?
The Observer is offline  
Old 17th January 2016, 21:50   #311
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 704
Thanked: 673 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
No that is not the point. You do not take a design brief literally else the so called Cheetah based XUV500 would have come with a tail.
Come, come, extreme torque - in such a scenario, why have none of the Jaguars till date been given a tail? Or fangs for that matter. Sir William Lyons certainly has a lot to answer for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
.....I believe the post does imply that what actual designers think of the design matter more than what the general public does. If it is so, then I respectfully disagree. Cars are not designed only for designers but for the common man and what each of us feel about the design has the exact same value in the larger picture as what the professionals feel.
Everyone on the forum is free to air his/her views on new launches - that is the best part about T-BHP! You can see your comments in real time (unless you cross that thin line between moderate & extreme - which, I must confess, I have at times & been admonished for the same!). And for that very reason my own preference is to get feedback from trained professionals, who I believe are better qualified about such things. Just as someone else on the thread may believe his/her views on the subject is the last word!
shashanka is offline  
Old 17th January 2016, 22:36   #312
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 244
Thanked: 406 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
We are going . so this will be my last post on the topic.

But I really don't know what to say. Indica is more than a decade old design language. Tata's deviation from that in bolt was applauded and lot of people here have liked what has come out in form of Zica.

Honda City sold in great numbers because frankly there was not much competition in the market till Fluidic Verna came along. It was natural City sold well. When latest city was launched many people didn't like the fact that Honda adopted Hyundai fludic treatment for City. That was mentioned here. So was the fact that not many people liked the Mobilio design language which is another Honda.

But I seriously don't get your point. If we did not like the quirky designs of KUV do we still say we like it just because its manufactured by an Indian firm?

Where is the Indian non Indian bias coming in here? And why should Indians be critical of other brands just because they are non Indian brands?

The 4th gen Honda City deserves a lot of criticism because the front end seems to have been unchanged and looks like a refresh. I don't have issues with the 3rd gen selling well . But the 4th gen Honda City with its carryover front end, sides resembling the fluidic verna and the rear copied from Ciaz spyshots(the ciaz spyshots came out much before the 4th gen City was launched) doesn't deserve to sell in numbers it is selling. People are not crying in a similar way they did for the Vista.

The City is also very much around a decade old design right now . I believe the 3rd gen was launched in 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Sorry, just because its new does not mean its nice and domestic car makers get bashed because they come out with the most crap. Tell me one Hyundai car which was launched and is pathetic looking for anyone of us to bash it?

If I were to name Indian ones, I have a long list, so they are getting what they deserve.

And I highly doubt KUV will even achieve half of the 10000 numbers you have stated. The storm will die in a matter of weeks and this will just be another TUV kind of fad which went away in no time.

Sorry, but this is just my opinion. To an Indian, a car needs to be have design, a wow factor for starters, none of this the KUV has.



Hasn't Mahindra done the same with the XUV and Scorpio too ? And Honda City is far more accomplished, superior quality and reliability wise, its almost on par with a Toyota, can any Indian brand match the reliability of a Honda or a Toyota ?

The truth is, when buying a car, all that Desh bhakti goes out of the window, people are just looking at cars that look good and will last the most. Even if one of these is perfect, the chances of success are very high.
Look every Hyundai before the Fluidic Verna had quirky styling - be it the Santro, the original Verna or the horrendous Verna Transform.

I am not talking about desh bhakti .Its about perception and mindset. I don't own a Tata or a Mahindra. I own a Ford.

Reliability is the only thing Honda/Toyota is good at atleast in India. Anecdotal evidenceshows they are mediocre in safety (at least the ones sold in India). We don't know how bad or good Honda/Toyota is in safety when compared to a Tata/Mahindra.

I for one would only buy a car that doesn't compromise overall on safety/design and reliability .

The KUV would eat up the Swift/i10/Celerio market . As far as safety they are as good or bad as the i10 and Swift are.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 23:08   #313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 46
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

I saw kuv 100 for the first time on road today, it was in front so saw the rear end first and immediately fell in love with it. Yes I liked the rear end!
Did not look too good when I saw it from the side but not too bad either. The wheels definitely look very small probably because of the overall height of the vehicle. Mahindra should have provided bigger wheels on the top trim.
Even my gf, who has absolutely no idea about cars, liked the overall look of kuv 100.
I would have definitely considered it if I was in the market for a new vehicle.
Aksthedreamer is offline  
Old 18th January 2016, 00:54   #314
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 609
Thanked: 654 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

It seems you can book the car on Flipkart of all places and are guaranteed delivery in 30 days of booking.
http://www.flipkart.com/mahindrakuv1...imgModule_RHS3
invidious is offline  
Old 18th January 2016, 02:28   #315
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 335
Thanked: 274 Times
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Kwid looks better proportionate. You can achieve proportions within this size. Reducing height was possible as this is a monocoque design. They could have lengthened the vehicle a little more. Could have reduced the slashes on the sides. I just feel the design is a bit too over the top. They could have toned it down a bit.

Make no mistake this vehicle is not exactly cheap. I must say one thing though that Mahinda must be applauded for making ABS as default in every variant and offering air bags in every variant as an option. I just believe this vehicle started off very well at the front and lost it's way through the middle to redeem it towards the rear. Mahindra should promote this vehicle as a tough hatchback and not as a mini SUV in my opinion.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now book your Maruti, Bajaj, KTM, Kawasaki on Flipkart. EDIT: Mahindra KUV100 as well S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 12 13th June 2016 14:04
Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 201 22nd December 2015 13:45
Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh uday.ere The Indian Car Scene 481 15th June 2015 17:04
Special Edition Mahindra XUV5OO. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 13.68 lakh rahulraxx The Indian Car Scene 69 15th July 2014 09:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks