Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th January 2016, 17:44   #331
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Doesn't it look better without the overdone design elements + bigger wheels?

Shared by Alok Bisht

Edited:
Attachment 1462489

Original:
Attachment 1462490
Yes, the new look is much more refined and mature. However, the modified look makes the car bigger in size, is'nt it? It would even cross 4m mark.
Old 18th January 2016, 18:22   #332
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
..... I must say one thing though that Mahinda must be applauded for making ABS as default in every variant and offering air bags in every variant as an option.....
Very true, tho' I wish that the fact that M&M are offering both ABS & EBD across the range as standard was highlighted. I have always believed that the combination of both these together enhances safety a good deal more than just ABS alone

[quote=Rajeevraj;3892927]Lot of discussion around the design, I think we may be losing the bigger picture on the car as a whole. Have not seen the car in flesh, but based on the Video Reviews and other details, here is my brief perspective..... [*]Standard ABS across the range is a big plus. Optional Airbags in every variant is also welcome. Speed sensitive locks, Emergency brake flashing, ISOFIX child seat mount are welcome features (in top variants)....
The (In)famous 6th Seat
  • Whether we like it or not, this one feature can pull buyers to the KUV.
  • Kids on the front seat, on the lap in the front and back seat, in the boot area of hatch backs are all common sights in India. Stuffing more people into a car is also common. Recently we read instances where there were 6 in a Baleno, 6 in an Eon, 8 in a verna (Came to know because these were involved in accidents and were reported here). Point is, it is extremely common.
  • Enter Mahindra with a 6 seater with a Lap belt. This will attract a lot of people including those mildly safety conscious.
  • For the highly safety conscious, the usage as an arm rest or as a place to keep something will also add value.
  • Overall, this is definitely going to be a selling point

I agree completely Rajeevraj - the extra front seat (albeit small & suitable for children only), will turn out to be a crowd-puller for the very reasons you have mentioned above. You overlooked the EBD which is also offered as standard accessory across the range. As I've mentioned above, as far as safety goes, this may turn out to be a major first for the industry - in this segment and at this price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
.....We don't know how bad or good Honda/Toyota is in safety when compared to a Tata/Mahindra.
I for one would only buy a car that doesn't compromise overall on safety/design and reliability .
The KUV would eat up the Swift/i10/Celerio market . As far as safety they are as good or bad as the i10 and Swift are.
Ragavsr, that is indeed music to the ears! Even tho 'I confess to being biased in favour of M&M, I shall stick my neck out and say that I agree with you in this - I hope the rest of the mfrs. start offering ABS & EBD as standard across the range (as Mahindra have done) in their offerings in this segment. Where safety is concerned, that would be walking the talk indeed!

Last edited by shashanka : 18th January 2016 at 18:26.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 19:13   #333
Senior - BHPian

Default Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV; bookings open on December 19, 2015

I don't think he has increased the overall dimensions, if you look the ground in Mr Bisht's pic its smaller than original pic, so what does it indicate is that the pic is zoomed in and the zoom levels of both the pics are different. Though I liked the plain design but the slight impact line on the front door could also be made more subtle else it looks like more of a dent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
What Mr.Bisht has done is much more than just remove the creases and bigger wheels. He has made the wheel arches bigger, increased the length of both doors, and the boot area (basically stretched the passenger cell), and elongated the engine bay + hood as well, to be in line with the new body. And thus created a completely new car. No way can Mahindra match his neat looking design even if they give bigger wheels and lesser creases

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Yes, the new look is much more refined and mature. However, the modified look makes the car bigger in size, is'nt it? It would even cross 4m mark.
Old 18th January 2016, 19:28   #334
BHPian

Default Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV; bookings open on December 19, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
This has become the most common type of comments on threads related to Tata and Mahindra.

Tell me, do you mean that if did not like the design we should still say we liked it? Or do you intend to say that we don't call a spade a spade when its manufactured by non desi company?

Have you seriously not seen the number of posts flaming Hyundai over their lifeless steerings and sof suspension? Or comments VAG recieves on horrible after sales and reliability of DSG. There is a thread dedicated only to focus on how Honda has cut corners when it comes to quality on Honda City. Innumerable posts that condemn Toyota for appalling interior quality on Etios twins, on how everything that GM does in India is wrong.

All this is not rant or bashing, it is what the forum readers and members feel about certain cars and being displayed on forum. Definitely not confined only to threads on cars manufactured by Desi companies.

Absolutely valid points. There are plenty of reasons to bash the desi manufacturers and design is very important in this. The problem is that these guys don't get what is involved in designing a car and get some guy with no inspiration to do it. Also the corporate structure focused only on value crushes any good design. I feel that most of the desi products have appealing design.
We bash them so that they can change their ways, may be hire real world class talented people. We bash them so that they can produce some awe inspiring products which can stand toe to toe with world class cars and then we can be proud of them.

Last edited by pamiboy : 18th January 2016 at 19:29.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 22:19   #335
Senior - BHPian

If someone is having any doubts towards the undue favour being shown to Toyota, he/she may please read the posts on Etios/Liva thread in which Toyota have been bashed mercilessly and rightly so.
Yes at the same time if one desi brand claims 'Desh ka Namak' and other claims 'Be Indian Buy Indian' and they treat Indian customers very badly be in terms of horrible A.S.S., overpriced cars, uninspiring designs, they will definitely be bashed 110% of what is required.
Whether one likes it or not, there is huge market in India where people buy cars for road presence and bullying other cars and they are the 'primary' target customers of Mahindra Scorpio and its other offerings and I don't see the situation changing so M&M can relax wrt future of Scorpio and Bolero and maybe now KUV.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 22:48   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Just noticed that the KUV100 can be booked online at http://www.carandbike.com, (Auto website of NDTV).

Booking on Flipkart is also expected to start from mid-night of Jan 18th. Interesting to see these online booking options gaining popularity. Some reports are indicating a guaranteed delivery period if booked online.

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-kuvndtv.jpg

Source Link: NDTV

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 18th January 2016 at 22:51.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 00:03   #337
Senior - BHPian

Saw a demo vehicle today near Windsor Manor. Looked modern but overall too fussy from the side. Also the sub-4 meter size coupled with the high roof needs some getting used to.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 00:17   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Doesn't it look better without the overdone design elements + bigger wheels?
The side profile in the edited picture resembles that of the Renault Duster.
The side view of the KUV pictures gives a feel as if the bonnet is pulled open. I am yet to see a KUV 1OO in the flesh.
Old 19th January 2016, 03:44   #339
Senior - BHPian

Has Mahindra highlighted the crash worthiness? ABS and Air Bags are fine but unless the body structure is up to the task, they are worthless, not ABS but AirBags.
Old 19th January 2016, 07:58   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Has Mahindra highlighted the crash worthiness? ABS and Air Bags are fine but unless the body structure is up to the task, they are worthless, not ABS but AirBags.
I was pointing to the technical person about some exposed metal above rear lights with boot opened. I was told that it was one of the crumble zones added in the car as a safety feature. Hope mahindra has done a proper testing as well.
Old 19th January 2016, 08:13   #341
BHPian

So, yesterday, I was waiting at the B-I-G Silk Board signal which was taking forever to turn green. Was furious as to how the other side could be so empty when I saw the KUV1OO approaching. Was being test driven by a lady.

I've to admit it looked thoroughly modern with those DRLs and had a good road presence. It was looking good but everything changed as it whizzed past me! The side profile was comical to say the least and I was literally laughing! There was a Nano in front of me and I realized it was more pleasing to the eye than the hideous KUV1OO. I'm just talking about the side profile here, the front and the rear are still acceptable. Minutes later, a Kwid passed me and that was so much more pleasing to the eyes! I know anything and everything has been said about the KUV's design but I just couldn't resist posting this.

Design apart, kudos to Mahindra for giving prime importance to safety barring the jump seat option which shouldn't have been given at all! Nothing exciting about the pricing but I'm sure it'll be a hit with the masses with Mahindra giving it the "SUV" tag!!!
Porschefire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 09:04   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this thing at the dealership yesterday and I don't think it looks any better in person when compared to the photos. This might sell a lot, but that doesn't take away the fact that the design is depressing.

I think Mahindra undid a lot of the good work that they did for this vehicle by going heavily overboard with some of the design elements. The vehicle is spacious and practical and the overall profile is somewhat acceptable, but they have ruined it by adding a lot of odd lines and fittings.

In Kerala, they have brought the demo cars in a dark grey shade, perhaps to hide some of those design details. But, I doubt it helps!

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-img_20160118_100706722.jpg

Anyways, kudos to Mahindra for offering ABS across the range! I hope every manufacturer takes note of this and follow it. But I honestly hope they do not get influenced by Mahindra on the design front.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 09:39   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
During the launch webcast they had flashed the below slide which mentions about ultra high strength steel used in the body build along with the comment that the KUV100 meets all current and expected future safety norms. This may be in reference to the governments plans to make crash tests mandatory in the next 2-3 years. of course, no way to validate that at this time.

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-safety.jpg
Old 19th January 2016, 13:32   #344
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Saw a demo vehicle today near Windsor Manor. Looked modern but overall too fussy from the side. Also the sub-4 meter size coupled with the high roof needs some getting used to.
In fact, I feel that this maybe part of the exercise! Just like the Ecosport, Wagon R, Santro earlier - they were all oddballs at the time of their introduction, but went on to be winners once the target audience got over the initial inertia and saw the VFM propositions that they were.

[quote=carwatcher;3893368]....Yes at the same time if one desi brand claims 'Desh ka Namak' and other claims 'Be Indian Buy Indian' and they treat Indian customers very badly be in terms of horrible A.S.S., overpriced cars, uninspiring designs, they will definitely be bashed 110% of what is required.

I concur - at least with part of your statement. I'm one of your desh bhakts too & an unabashed admirer of M&M. But some of my hair-raising experiences at the hands of their Lucknow ASS should, IMO, have debarred this centre from the franchise. But UP being UP, it continues merrily on its way.

Whether one likes it or not, there is huge market in India where people buy cars for road presence and bullying other cars and they are the 'primary' target customers of Mahindra Scorpio and its other offerings.....

Whether "primary" targets or not maybe debatable, but I'm sure there are such customers for such vehicles - for the Scorpio, the Fortuner, the Cayenne, the Q7 & their ilk - depending on their disposable incomes. Speaking for myself, no other vehicle (within the constraints of my budget) than the Scorpio gives me that kind of secure feeling, or that bullet proof durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
....The problem is that these guys don't get what is involved in designing a car and get some guy with no inspiration to do it. Also the corporate structure focused only on value crushes any good design. I feel that most of the desi products have appealing design. We bash them so that they can change their ways, may be hire real world class talented people. We bash them so that they can produce some awe inspiring products which can stand toe to toe with world class cars and then we can be proud of them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you mean "appalling design" instead of "appealing design" - otherwise I dont get the point.
I'm sure you recall Carlos Ghosn's words - "I want to meet the man who made the Scorpio".
Also Premier Khruschev's words to President Kennedy's aide at the height of the cold war - "Moscow has changed a good deal since your last visit".
I know we are not at war, but the analogy is not misplaced. Our auto industry has also undergone a sea change. Otherwise we wouldn't have a home-grown design studio today successfully bagging the contract for the Aston Vantage V8 a couple of years ago.
Or a domestic major rescuing Pininfarina from going into oblivion.
Or another domestic major rescuing JLR and going on to giving it a successful turn-around & making profit after years of being in the doldrums.
"Bashing them" is good medicine no doubt. But only when it is done with the idea of walking the talk. And even-handedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Booking on Flipkart is also expected to start from mid-night of Jan 18th. Interesting to see these online booking options gaining popularity. Some reports are indicating a guaranteed delivery period if booked online.
Looks like M&M are one step ahead of the competition in their marketing strategy! Garnering sales without subjecting prospective customers to the bother of physical foot-falls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
....I am amused by audacity to call this a SUV! What do they think of Indian buyers?
I'd say it's about as amusing as Hyundai with their Creta, Ford with their Ecosport, Suzuki with their S-Cross & Ignis! All hatches-on-stilts-&-steroids, without exception. But SUV - har! har!

Last edited by Aditya : 21st January 2016 at 08:36. Reason: Fixing quote tag
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 16:38   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

I received a message from my stock trade firm that Mahindra claims they received around 60,000 inquiries for the KUV100 since launch. Guess this has generated enough interest. Will have to wait and see how much of this converts into actual sales. But, doesn't look like a bad start to me.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread