Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 15:53   #421
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 139
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Hi All,

I checked out the KUV100 at Zulaikha Motors at Velachery, Chennai today and there was a huge crowd at the dealership, all to look at the new Mahindra vehicle. The TUV300 in the far corner looked forlorn like the elder sibling who lost all the attention after the birth of the next child

1. The car looked decent enough to me, except for the rear and the wheel arch area. That part looked downright ugly to me. Attached a few pictures taken of a body kit which is available as an accessory.
Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-dsc_0424.jpg
2. I test drove the Diesel car and that would be my primary req. The engine was responsive, even from a very low rpm level, unlike the 1.3 Fiat engine that I drive in my Dzire. The initial pull was decent but the Diesel clatter filters into the cabin but I don't mind it. I liked it.
2. Initially I moved the seat to the lowest level (as I normally do) and got it and it was downright uncomfortable for me. I had to move the seat up to get to a comfortable position. And being 6 feet, I moved the seat back almost to the back. In that "ideal" position, I felt that the steering wheel was a bit lower that what I would have liked but I could get used to it.
3. The biggest surprise was the gear level. The gates are well defined and it slots really well. I enjoyed this "new" experience. With the "arm rest" in position, I could comfortably rest my left arm and use the gear lever. But I don't know how it will hold up in long drives.
4. The space at the back is decent when the front seats are not all the way back but my head brushed the roof.
5. There is body roll, but the suspension has been tuned for comfort. I went over a particularly bad stretch of road (kudos to the SA who encouraged me to go off-roading) , and the car went over the bumps really well.
6. This car feels and is more spacious than the Celerio and the Grand i10.
7. The quality of plastics inn certain areas are really bad, Mahindra-isque
8. The waiting time for top end models is about 14 weeks as per the SA.

Overall it is a decent and capable car. Good work Mahindra!
Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-dsc_0422.jpg
Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-dsc_0423.jpg
Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-dsc_0425.jpg
nivatakavacha is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 16:41   #422
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitz View Post
I was advised by my friend that don't add up accessories from Mahindra Dealership they charge u extra. So I am planning to buy them later after picking up my car from them, I just asked them for the coating, for which they advised that they will do it form 3M and charge 9000 for it, It includes underbody n upper body coating. Is it a good deal?
If you want to save money, get everything aftermarket. Please check with 3M directly on the price for the same service, am sure you'll save BIG!
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 31st January 2016, 18:54   #423
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Do we have the t-bhp review done? Can the mods kindly let me know when the review will be posted ? This is just from a curious new car seeker
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 19:02   #424
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha;
2. I test drove the Diesel car and that would be my primary req. The engine was responsive, even from a very low rpm level, unlike the 1.3 Fiat engine that I drive in my Dzire.
5. There is body roll, but the suspension has been tuned for comfort. I went over a particularly bad stretch of road (kudos to the SA who encouraged me to go off-roading) , and the car went over the bumps really well.


Overall it is a decent and capable car. Good work Mahindra!
Thanks for the update. Since you have a dzire, could you please give your opinion about the ride quality between KUV and dzire?
Balaji31582 is offline  
Old 1st February 2016, 10:52   #425
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 139
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Thanks for the update. Since you have a dzire, could you please give your opinion about the ride quality between KUV and dzire?
Hi Balaji,

The TD I had was short and I did not take the KUV100 above 60 km/hr. In that short ride, I felt that the Dzire felt more planted in its ride quality and suspension setup is not bad either. in the KUV100, there was more body roll and a wallowly feeling to the ride, probably because the height is more as compared to the Dzire. The suspension setup was decent enough but it will get some getting used too.

Regarding ergonomics, Dzire definitely felt much better to me, probably since I am used to driviing it on a daily basis.

Hope that answers your question. Another important factor to consider is that I've not heard good things about Zulaikha's A.S.S. More than buying, I think that factor will be the deciding one for me.
nivatakavacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 11:13   #426
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Hi Balaji,

The TD I had was short and I did not take the KUV100 above 60 km/hr. In that short ride, I felt that the Dzire felt more planted in its ride quality and suspension setup is not bad either. in the KUV100, there was more body roll and a wallowly feeling to the ride, probably because the height is more as compared to the Dzire. The suspension setup was decent enough but it will get some getting used too.

Regarding ergonomics, Dzire definitely felt much better to me, probably since I am used to driviing it on a daily basis.

Hope that answers your question. Another important factor to consider is that I've not heard good things about Zulaikha's A.S.S. More than buying, I think that factor will be the deciding one for me.
Thanks a lot for your quick response. I am planning to take a TD, but not in this week as I know there will be a mad rush as we have only 3 mahindra dealers within chennai. Meanwhile, I have been in Dzire and I really liked the way it rides, atleast in its segment.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 17:11   #427
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 82
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Hi folks, i have just got information from a reliable source that there have been 3 kuv100s with a case of broken front axle shaft. The shaft has been sent to bill forges factory at bangalore for a complete redesign. Mahindra will now start testing the vehicle with the newly designed front axle shaft for its stability. According to my source, all kuv deliveries will be on hold and delivered vehicles will be recalled for fixing the new axle shaft after all testing has been done with the redesigned shaft. Also, there have been reported cases of engine failure (petrol) and gearbox issues in a few cars.
karthick_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 17:36   #428
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
According to my source, all kuv deliveries will be on hold and delivered vehicles will be recalled for fixing the new axle shaft after all testing has been done with the redesigned shaft.
Hi can you tell me where you got this info from? I still see that deliveries havent started in chennai and that the test drive cars are still running as of yesterday.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st February 2016 at 23:44. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
msk_kapoor is offline  
Old 1st February 2016, 17:40   #429
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,629
Thanked: 1,880 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Hi folks, i have just got information from a reliable source that there have been 3 kuv100s with a case of broken front axle shaft.
Is it correct? Or a rumor by competition? Why didn't they identify this serious issue during their test runs? I could see enormous rounds of test runs of this car behind the vacant roads of Mahindra City, Chennai.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st February 2016 at 23:44. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
romeomidhun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 17:44   #430
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 82
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
Hi can you tell me where you got this info from? I still see that deliveries havent started in chennai and that the test drive cars are still running as of yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Is it correct? Or a rumor by competition? Why didn't they identify this serious issue during their test runs? I could see enormous rounds of test runs of this car behind the vacant roads of Mahindra City, Chennai.
This is from a top level person working in Bill Forges, India, a supplier of car components.
karthick_b is offline  
Old 1st February 2016, 21:29   #431
BHPian
 
vasanthsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KA 50
Posts: 25
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

I called India garage Bangalore today and they were quite upbeat about the delivery of the vehicles (though dates were not mentioned).

This information comes to me as a shock considering that Mahindra carried out extensive testing before launch.
vasanthsm is offline  
Old 1st February 2016, 22:14   #432
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
This is from a top level person working in Bill Forges, India, a supplier of car components.
This top level person might just have caused some serious harm to the car, even of he doors not exist (it can still be just a rumor).
sourabhzen is offline  
Old 1st February 2016, 23:39   #433
Newbie
 
rohitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: pune
Posts: 13
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Hi folks, i have just got information from a reliable source that there have been 3 kuv100s with a case of broken front axle shaft.
I took delivery of my Kuv today itself and no one informed me about anything like this in fact the Branch manager handed over the keys to me. So I guess if there is a issue with the axle as you are saying then they would have stopped my cars delivery for sure. I am pretty sure this is a stunt by mahindra's rivals.

Last edited by rohitz : 1st February 2016 at 23:54.
rohitz is offline  
Old 2nd February 2016, 01:21   #434
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 82
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitz View Post
I took delivery of my Kuv today itself and no one informed me about anything like this in fact the Branch manager handed over the keys to me. So I guess if there is a issue with the axle as you are saying then they would have stopped my cars delivery for sure. I am pretty sure this is a stunt by mahindra's rivals.
Congrats on your new KUV100. Who knows, in another week or two, Mahindra might recall a batch of kuvs to replace the part. I have no intentions to post about something unless I am sure about the person it comes from. Lets wait and see if it is an issue pertaining to a batch of kuvs. I will keep you guys updated.

Note: I am here to post about an issue which could very much be useful for aspirational buyers to be cautious on this issue.
karthick_b is offline  
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:29   #435
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Congrats on your new KUV100. Who knows, in another week or two, Mahindra might recall a batch of kuvs to replace the part. I have no intentions to post about something unless I am sure about the person it comes from. Lets wait and see if it is an issue pertaining to a batch of kuvs. I will keep you guys updated.

Note: I am here to post about an issue which could very much be useful for aspirational buyers to be cautious on this issue.
I have forwarded this link to my dealer in Chennai and hope he will be able to clarify this. I am definitely expecting some minor issues in this vehicle as any newly launched ones will have, but issues like broken front axle is a major one and I am pretty convinced this would have been caught with very minor testing itself. What I feel is that Mahindra would have asked their component manufacturer to probably upgrade or redesign the front axle to accommodate a newer engine or for getting the AMT box in place. This would connect the petrol engine failure and front axle discussed here.
msk_kapoor is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now book your Maruti, Bajaj, KTM, Kawasaki on Flipkart. EDIT: Mahindra KUV100 as well S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 12 13th June 2016 14:04
Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 201 22nd December 2015 13:45
Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh uday.ere The Indian Car Scene 481 15th June 2015 17:04
Special Edition Mahindra XUV5OO. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 13.68 lakh rahulraxx The Indian Car Scene 69 15th July 2014 09:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks