Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What is the top influencer in choice of car color?
Ease of maintenance 95 19.11%
Based on model to color suitability 262 52.72%
Superstition 7 1.41%
Family decides. No personal choice 36 7.24%
Has to be a specific color. No compromise. 58 11.67%
Depends on availability. Most colors work 26 5.23%
Any Other (Please Specify) 13 2.62%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st December 2015, 17:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: What influences your choice of car colour?

Easily available colors tend to be white or silver.

It's not true that most colors work, rather whites and silvers work on most cars and you get a quick delivery.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 18:04   #17
BHPian

I have bought cars sans any preference for colors and have paid for it by poor resale values however I did enjoy the cars and that's what matters.

Have bought only a black fortuner instead of any other one as it was the only colour available then along with the metallic sky blue color.

Rest, I am superstitious about silver color vehicles.
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 18:09   #18
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Not once, but now twice I went with a firm opinion to get subtle, lighter shades due to ease of maintenance and wanting the car to not attract attention due to the color and both times I failed. First it was the Dark Grey Indica and then the Blue Dzire and both times it was the family decision, plus those colors somehow stood out in the dealer yards (got exactly what I didn't intend to!)
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 18:40   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the new gen Scorpio in black, despite knowing the disadvantages [maintenance] but no other color appealed on the car.

Should be buying a small car next year, might be a bright color this time round.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 18:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I prefer colors which makes the car look good, to me. For first gen Swift, it was the bright red, Duster in woodland brown, SCross will be in blue, new Honda city will adorn white, new Baleno in Ray Blue, Safari Storme in Urban Bronze etc are some those come to my mind right now.

And I don't mind waiting for a particular color for long as car purchases are done for at least 5 years.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 18:54   #21
BHPian

In my house it is just one(albeit a very very heavy word) who decides the color of the car.

WIFE.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 19:05   #22
BHPian

All of the cars that I had owned till now have been Silver and I suspect that given the chance my wife would dip me and the car in a can of bright blue paint.

Silver is easy to maintain, hides scratches, makes dust invisible, suits most cars and a little bit of polish makes it look new even after a few years down the lane.

The only disadvantage is that in the initial year, people don't realise you are driving a new car since the colour does not stand out even on day one. However, with the garage life of cars declining I am inclined to go with latest shade for my next car.
arunkumarsarat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 19:06   #23
BHPian

My preference for choosing car colour is ease of maintenance. Before buying my car I did some research to find that black is very difficult to maintain. So I ruled it out. Somewhere I read that red is a good idea as it has good visibility. But for me, it was too strong a colour. Finally I narrowed it down to white and silver. In my case silver was metallic and white was non-metallic and hence, silver was pricier. But again a friend told me that metallic colour is better as, if stolen, the colour can't be changed quickly. He also told me that this is the reason white non- metallic cars are stolen more. ( Well, does anybody has any data about this?) Finally I went for silver as the dealer was charging nothing extra for it.
ajitstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 19:17   #24
BHPian

I voted for Based on model to colour suitability on the basis that I would look at a car in all the available shades and think which looked best to me.

Have a preference for Black though.
nmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 19:22   #25
BHPian

Went with "Based on model to color suitability"
When buying my first car, I was actually undecided on the color. Finally went for the safest - Silver. My wife was ok with it too. We wanted the car quickly.

With The Polo, we had decided up-front. It looks best in either white, black or red. It was one of these colors or nothing. Black wasn't readily available. Next in line was white and we went with it.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 19:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

My first car was dark blue. I loved it the day I first saw it and hated it every other day. Delhi NCR had do much dust that maintaining f the car became a task in itself. All my subsequent cars are white.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 20:07   #27
BHPian

My last 3 cars have been dark coloured one's. Whilst they would look really gorgeous when detailed by professionals, the looks would not last for more than 2 - 3 months. Also scratches and any dust marks would actually stand out and make you feel as if you were driving an old/dirty car.
Hence this time when the choice of colour came I simply put my foot down and insisted that it has to be easy to maintain and hence the current car is Silver in colour. This is in fact the 1st car in my family in this colour.
Dark shades look good but are a task to maintain & need a lot of TLC!
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 20:58   #28
BHPian

This is the most depressing part of the car shopping process. While everybody else suggests different colours, mom won't budge a bit and will insist on white. Yes, white. We've had 3 cars in the last 10 years and all of them were white. Yes, maintenance is easy but scratches stand out like a sore thumb. Things were better when we used to buy only used
Turbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 21:10   #29
BHPian

Default What is the top influencer in your choice of Car Color

For me I guess there are two ways to look at a colour choice.
A) the car has to look good in that particular colour.
B) I choose different colours for different purpose cars.

My daily run around car will always be a white or silver. The car that I use sparingly will either be a black or a dark blue.

My first car was a maroon Esteem. Second a silver Esteem. Had a white Premier 137D also, moved to a silver Swift along with a Black Ford Fiesta.
The next set is a white Fiat Punto for the regular running and a black Neo Elantra for the family trips. I now plan to trade my silver Maruti 800 for a silver Creta which will take over my daily running around responsibilities. Also have a stardust grey I10 automatic which was my mother's choice of colour.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 21st December 2015 at 21:13.
Arjun Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 21:17   #30
BHPian

For me the deciding factor is the car itself. Every vehicle has design characteristics which suit or stand out most in some colours. A case in point out of personal experience - the Creta which has a lot of black cladding all around, means a lighter color suits it best.
As such the primary factor is the vehicle design and then personal choice in the shortlisted colours.
The Goan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote