Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What is the top influencer in choice of car color?
Ease of maintenance 95 19.11%
Based on model to color suitability 262 52.72%
Superstition 7 1.41%
Family decides. No personal choice 36 7.24%
Has to be a specific color. No compromise. 58 11.67%
Depends on availability. Most colors work 26 5.23%
Any Other (Please Specify) 13 2.62%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd December 2015, 11:29   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: What influences your choice of car colour?

My favourite colours are white, black & silver. Their order of priority varies depending on the model (hence, voted for option no. 2 in the poll). As an example, white looks stunning on sedans, but I like Jeeps & SUVs in black.

What influences your choice of car colour?-civic_pics-19.jpg

What influences your choice of car colour?-img_4786_7_8.jpg

However, black cars don't look good without tinted glasses. Ever since the sunfilm ban came into place, black has moved down the list for me. At one time, 3 of the 4 cars in my house were black ...all with dark tints. Today, it's only one.

What influences your choice of car colour?-3.jpg

For some cars, I'll move away from these three colours. E.g. Mini Cooper = red is delicious. We chose the metallic blue for the Sunny as its oddball styling is very ugly. Thought blue will ingest some youth into an otherwise dull car.

Since a lot of my cars are pre-owned, I don't put colour as a preference. The health & condition are important, not the body paint. Hence, my 530d wears carbon-black clothes, but a white or silver F10 unfailingly makes my head turn. I was lucky to get my Civic in white (first choice of colour) and the City Vtec in carbon-gray. They were both awesome.

What influences your choice of car colour?-000_0883.jpg

The worst was the green that my pre-owned Accord in the USA wore. But it took so much effort to find an MT Accord in a country where 99% of them are ATs, I'd have bought it even if it was pink!

What influences your choice of car colour?-004.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Easily available colors tend to be white or silver.
Because they are the most popular, they're also produced the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Generally with wife earlier it was, car i will and colour you will , BUT that was before Team BHP reviews. Poor wife the reviews here also state the color in which the car looks good so she has to really think hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
'Any Other'

Depends on which colour the vehicle looks best, to my eyes.
So your vote should have actually been for option no.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Haha, it is funny that Superstition didn't get any vote so far.
Our generation is less superstitious than that of our parents.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2015 at 11:34.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:50   #47
Team-BHP Support

I've had a say in three cars that we've bought, and hence all three were silver

Only because of ease of maintenance.

But if I ever buy a German sedan, it'll be black - maintenance be dammed !
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:08   #48
Team-BHP Support

My favourite shade is Black but maintenance is a pain! My wife also loves this shade. A rare thing that the two of us have agreed upon!

3 shades of blue I've liked:

Jetta's silk blue:

Name:  vwjetta7.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  172.3 KB

Baleno's ray blue:

Name:  CRGMslWwAA4ViE.jpg large.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  139.3 KB

And Octavia's race blue:

Name:  skodaoctavia3raceblue1.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  155.6 KB

Pics source: Google Images

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd December 2015 at 11:50. Reason: Image re-uploaded.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - my first, last and only choice is "BLACK", period. However, when I bought a new Alto K-10 for dear wifey, I suggested black (as usual) but then left the choice to her, she got herself a dark maroon one. I was happy, because I don't like the color, so I don't have to drive it! . My perk car is a dark grey BOLT (with the flying bawaji or "Asho Farohar" sticker inside the rear window), because that is the nearest color to black that they make in production, dammit!

BLACK IS BLACK. PERIOD! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I prefer colors which makes the car look good, to me. For first gen Swift, it was the bright red, Duster in woodland brown, SCross will be in blue, new Honda city will adorn white, new Baleno in Ray Blue, Safari Storme in Urban Bronze etc are some those come to my mind right now.

And I don't mind waiting for a particular color for long as car purchases are done for at least 5 years.
Though i have a strong preference for Black, most new models seem to be unavailable in that color. In that case your policy works for me too
400notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:39   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - my first, last and only choice is "BLACK", period. However, when I bought a new Alto K-10 for dear wifey, I suggested black (as usual) but then left the choice to her, she got herself a dark maroon one. I was happy, because I don't like the color, so I don't have to drive it! . My perk car is a dark grey BOLT (with the flying bawaji or "Asho Farohar" sticker inside the rear window), because that is the nearest color to black that they make in production, dammit!

BLACK IS BLACK. PERIOD! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, any reason Tata stopped making cars in black? The Storme, Bolt, Zest are all in that land-rover shade of dark gray/black. What happened to the mica infused glossy black, which looked bluish/greenish depending on how the light hit it?

My current choice is pearl white for the Storme. This is a fuss free colour which hides all scratches and swirl marks. Even when dirty it doesn't look unclean unless viewed from very close.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:47   #52
BHPian

Voted for "Based on model to color suitability". When it comes to color, my preference is and always been black. But when I bought the XUV, I went for Opulent Purple as the car looked boring in black (to me ).
PADAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:54   #53
BHPian

Its always White or Silver for me.

Dark metallic colors looks stunning in the sun and when new, but they don't age well with "average" care.

Back in the day, Polo had this nice subtle Silverish ice blue, but I have not seen new Polos in that shade.

And GT had just 3 color choices and no silver so White it was for me by default

Last edited by freedom : 22nd December 2015 at 12:58.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:58   #54
BHPian

Very tricky topic!

As mentioned by many already - it is a complex process.

There has to be a balance between 'model wise feel', maintenance and to me the most important - 'Effect of Sungod'!

Dark colors look fancy but the car becomes an oven in the summer! This takes a heavy toll of the person, petrol/diesel, upholstery, the paint itself, etc.

Normally, the family does the final selection, but they are all on one page on this criteria - so light color - any! Then narrow down on the basis of 'look and feel' of the model.
GKMahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

I started a thread with the poll titled 'How important is the colour of car to you', unfortunately it was merged with 'Which car in which colour' thread, you seem to be lucky to escape that fate.
I am confused between 'Colour to model suitability' and 'Availability' as both are equally important to me. I can forego my favourite colour if I get a good deal available on other colour (but it shouldn't be Pink, etc.) or if it helps me in getting quick delivery of the car.

At the same time, I prefer to go for used car option for a not so popular car, I really don't have any choice. For eg, I am currently looking for Outlander.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:32   #56
BHPian

I prefer to have black, white or silver for my cars. For hatchbacks, red can also be ok. And in this range, what family decides will be the final choice.
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:48   #57
BHPian

I have voted for ease of maintenance; I started with Ford - Moon beam silver, Indica - Emerald Green, Verna - Sleek silver and Punto - Tuscan wine.
Both Verna and Ford look impressive till today whereas every single nail mark is visible on Punto.

For me, Silver has been very easy to maintain and would stick to "easy to maintain" approach
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:21   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Generally with wife earlier it was, car i will and colour you will , BUT that was before Team BHP reviews. Poor wife the reviews here also state the color in which the car looks good so she has to really think hard
Had i taken a grey one, i would have named it Greyta.

Quote:
BTW has anyone seen Pearl Beige Creta , which is another colour offered? I have seen a photograph of IX-25 in Pearl Beige on this forum but not a Creta anywhere.
I had seen one Pearl Beige Creta and the car looked the worst in those clothes. Why make such a good looking car and offer it in stupid colors? For me, 3 of Creta (and Elite i20 too) colors are not lookers. Roads are filled with Red/White Elite i20s and White/Red Cretas which probably justifies my opinion too.

If it is Biege, it has to be 'Dune Biege' of Tata Zest. It looks so classy. Pre-2006 WagonR used to have a 'Pearl Silver' (Biege shade) which used to look good.
mrbaddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:41   #59
CPJ
BHPian

Voted for Based on model to color suitability.
Recently, we bought the Volkswagen Polo in Copper Orange shade. It's not a common color and I knew it will be difficult to maintain but that shade suited Polo the best IMO, so bought it.
CPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:53   #60
BHPian

Exclamation Re: What influences your choice of car colour?

Color choice is dependent on the color of my cars which I had owned before.

I try to buy a different color each time.
ravradha is offline   Reply With Quote