Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What is the top influencer in choice of car color?
Ease of maintenance 95 19.11%
Based on model to color suitability 262 52.72%
Superstition 7 1.41%
Family decides. No personal choice 36 7.24%
Has to be a specific color. No compromise. 58 11.67%
Depends on availability. Most colors work 26 5.23%
Any Other (Please Specify) 13 2.62%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd December 2015, 15:45   #61
BHPian

Basically that depends on personality of the vehicle. Some vehicles look great in white and Black. So mostly Sedans have been black or white in family.

SUV / Jeep - preference goes to Any shade of green first, then black.

Have moved away from Red years back, though that looked good on Palio and still looks hot on Polo. So if I happen to own Polo, that has to be red.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:06   #62
BHPian

Default Re: What influences your choice of car colour?

Gosh! Mine is the first vote for the option 'Superstition'. However, I would have preferred an option to club it with 'Family decides' option.

Reason for my choice, here it goes.
1. For our FIAT Grande Punto Emotion Pack MJD - 2009, me and my brother were sold out for the Moonlight Gray (something similar) but then my brother was not allowed to go ahead with that colour as it did not suite his name and horoscope and what not. Also, our mother is someone whom we make sure not to hurt, most of the times. RED was the final colour. No regrets though

2. For our FIAT Linea TJet - 2015, My then fiance and now wife preferred black. I was a bit apprehensive abut maintaining it as am not a clean-your-ride\drive-regularly guy. Ultimately, we were stopped as black is not considered to be good, superstition at play. Wanted a Sunbeam Gold but hen was informed that the colour was not in production and hence went ahead and pampered myself with a Magnesio Gray FIAT Linea TJet. No regrets again as she looks damn sexy in this shade.

Off-Topic: Forget the colour, even the registration number for our drives were decided on superstition (Numerology etc... etc...)
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:17   #63
BHPian

While TD'ing for my first car, I had to bluntly rule out i20 just because it was not offered in Red. I had advice coming in from all corners that Red is hard to maintain and what-not, but then I just can't think beyond it.
When buying our Swift Dzire back then, the dealer tried convincing my Dad that white is readily available and he almost fell for it. Luckily my Mom intervened and threatened them that we'll cancel the booking. It's only then that we found that the red Dzire that was reserved for us was to be given away to someone else.
All for the colour red
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:35   #64
BHPian

I've got no real colour in mind when I'm looking for a car. Picked model to colour suitability. The Contessa was white, because it looked awesome. The Opel Swing was RED, because it was the brightest colour you could have, and we loved the shade. The W124 looks good in most colours, but I have/had a black, blue, and white.
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:23   #65

One more aspect is association of car color with probability of accidents. There are studies which prove that darker colors are more prone for accidents (see attached file and following url).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-1...to-see/4880246

I don't know how much that is true in Indian conditions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf crash study.pdf (442.2 KB, 265 views)
vashisth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:44   #66

I love silver, It's neutral, always looks clean and easy to maintain. In most countries, it is also one of the colours with the best resale value.
civilmani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:10   #67
BHPian

I usually keep a color in mind for any vehicles I buy. I prefer to wait rather than compromise. I always prefer red and then black. I voted for No compromise option.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:20   #68
BHPian

Well, I would just ask the sales guy what color cars are readily available and then ask someone else in the family to pick.
A long wait if they don't like the choices he gives :(
I'm okay with any colour as long as the choice of car is mine. A few exceptions in terms of Ferraris and Lamborginis.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:29   #69
BHPian

For me, it is always about the color which would suit a car's characteristics.

I own the Safari Storme right now and the color that looks stunning on it is Urban Bronze as per my opinion. Hence, I went ahead with that choice. Although, I had to wait for a month or so but wait was worth.

I had a white colored (Arctic White) Swift which also looked stunning and classy. I had got the custom SWIFT black sticker done on the roof by Maruti Suzuki which presented a nice contrast.

Cheers!
iabhishekkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:45   #70
BHPian

It depends on the practicality of the color for the car for me. My Zen was Silky Silver, the Nano CX was white for maintainability perspective, the Polo is red , the new Nano is the cherry red since its driven by wifey and the family Innova is dark grey to differentiate it from the taxis
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:46   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

I prefer lighter colours like silver. It's easy to maintain and hides scratches and dust much better than darker shades.

I feel that black does look good on some cars but you need to maintain it much more than other colors. Preferably by a dedicated driver/ cleaner. Plus once you lose the shine on black, it is a disaster.

However, some cars look much better in particular shades.

Regards.
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:56   #72
BHPian

Smaller cars (hatches) look good in bright colours like the Nissan Micra's lurid shades. Seems like they can carry it off better than larger cars with a lot of metal in profile. Hence voted for 'Based on model to color suitability'

Personally, I find lighter shades (white especially) highlight accents like blackened pillars better and tail light clusters getting camouflaged in red
GeeTee TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:06   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Now do you mean what is my choice of colour or how does colour selection get done at our home - two different questions. I like colours like brown, orange, red, gerua (an orange-brown combination), yellow and even golden. But our joint family squabbles over the choice of colour though as of date of writing I still get to choose the car (dear God thank You for Your mercy). 8 family members will have 9 opinions and at the peak of this typically Indian family discussion someone will pipe up 'why are we buying a car in the first place'. Back to square one. Colours we've had are sky blue (twice), maroon (twice), off-white (once), silver (once), golden (once), black-grey, 2 shade brown, a mauve-brown shade, metallic brown (once), metallic grey (once) and golden green (once).
V.Narayan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:52   #74
BHPian

My choice of colour is dependent upon which colour looks good on which model. It keeps on varying. All my previous cars have been either silver or White(Maruti 800-Silver, Chevrolet Spark-White, Maruti Ritz-White, Honda City-Silver). My wife said one day-why is it that all the colours have started vanishing from our lives. Don't you feel that we have become extremely colour-less? This actually gave me food for thought. When i bought my next car-Honda Mobilio, it is a carnelian red pearl. And trust me, it looks excellent. Sometimes it pays to listen to your wife Other than the brands that i own, had i gone for some other car, it would have been following

Maruti Ertiga-Light blue
Renault Duster-Brown
Maruti Swift-Red
Hyundai I20 Elite-Red
Honda Jazz-Orange
Ford Ecosport-Orange
su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:00   #75
BHPian

Nice Thread.

My Personal choice will always be black. That's why first car and bike both were Black. But later on its difficult to choose color for your car solely on your own, as family inputs and choices have to be considered.

My father feels that in white most of the cars look best and big. And Black is a complete "NO" now.
napster1311 is offline   Reply With Quote