Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What is the top influencer in choice of car color?
Ease of maintenance 95 19.11%
Based on model to color suitability 262 52.72%
Superstition 7 1.41%
Family decides. No personal choice 36 7.24%
Has to be a specific color. No compromise. 58 11.67%
Depends on availability. Most colors work 26 5.23%
Any Other (Please Specify) 13 2.62%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd December 2015, 12:10   #76
BHPian

Default Re: What influences your choice of car colour?

For me, the colour has to suit the car. My natural preference is for blue

No black, red or white for me; black absorbs a lot of heat and is difficult to maintain, red is too aggressive for me and white too is difficult to maintain.

Have owned a Premier Padmini with a turquoise colour, a Maruti Esteem with Cobalt Blue, a Lancer with Seafrost (very light blue), a Passat with Dark Oak Brown.

Also had company cars with blue, silver, beige and metallic gold.
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:28   #77
BHPian

I go by the following rules
1) New car should have not same color as previously owned cars
2) Non-white : Dad's M800 white forced me not to buy another white car
3) Color should look good on car

Until now have had
- Mazda 626 Light blue
- Honda Civic Dark green
- Toyota Camry Green
- BMW 325i Topaz Blue
- Honda Oddysey Minivan - Beige
- Honda City - Grey (Current)
- Honda Jazz - Orange (Current)

Next car will be from silver, red, black, toffee brown

Color is most important aspect of the car, hence can't compromise on it.
Wish in future, manufacturers offer color of any choice

--rawnak
rawnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 13:32   #78

Interesting topic..

My family and I tend to decide the colour based on the look (model + color combination). I recently bought a Hyundai Creta SX+ (petrol). The original choice was red. However the dealer kept on delaying the delivery for various reasons. At the end of 3 months, we got desperate (sold of the old car, needed a car quickly) and requested him for colour options that may be more readily available than red. We settled on the stardust colour (dark metallic grey). My wife and I were a bit disappointed, because we could not get our first choice. But now we have grown to like our car 'Dusty' (as my son calls it) in its stardust garb.
shoubhikganguly is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:20   #79
BHPian

Never owned cars before getting married, only motorbikes as a bachelor, my first maruti 800 had my choice of blue colour, but from then on it has always been wifey ( 2 times ) and now my daughter ( 2 times ) in the cars we have owned after that. Poor me
vipinendran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:25   #80
BHPian

For me itís the ease of maintenance.

My current sedan is silver in color, the earlier ones were bluish silver and maroon, and I reckon this along with may be a beige is the easiest colour to maintain. I have a set of reasons why silver is probably the ideal colour.

~ A sedan will generally look good or acceptable in silver
~ A hatch will generally look good or acceptable in silver
~ An SUV/Premium sedan will generally look good or acceptable in silver
~ A silver 4 wheeler is fairly easy to maintain
~ Hides dust/dents in general

So itís a deal, if nothing suits or goes confusing, go for beige or silver.

Thanks
Rish
rish27 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 23:18   #81

For us (my family) the main priority this time was that we should feel great looking at the colour. So this time, we chose the ray blue colour for our latest car. Dirt, dust, bird droppings are very prominent, so calls for a more frequent and thorough cleaning. Our older car is silver, which doesn't show as much dirt, but it doesn't give the feel good factor as much.
ajayc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 01:44   #82
BHPian

Quote:
What influences your choice of car colour?
First my heart and then my mind.
They fight really hard where heart contests for jazzy colors like Blue or Red whilst mind says white and white only.
After a long tiring session, they compromise to choose silver.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 08:47   #83

Isnt there a regional and cultural preference to colors as well ? For example, Indians carry their obsession with gold to their color choice of cars and bikes. No where else in the world have I seen automobiles painted in gold.
Besides , the heat and dust of this lands dictate an overwhelming preference for white/silver.
grey is a recent favourite as it is well, nether black or white !
What about the study that concluded that dark color cars are difficult to spot on the roads and hence are more accident prone ?
shivaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 11:51   #84
BHPian

I always prefer white, looks classy and can be worked upon. However, family has the last word. When the wife goes ooooh!, its easier to chip in a few goodies that I want
Kalesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 12:31   #85
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post

If it is Biege, it has to be 'Dune Biege' of Tata Zest. It looks so classy. Pre-2006 WagonR used to have a 'Pearl Silver' (Biege shade) which used to look good.
There was a beautiful beige in the Stome, almost akin to the real earth color offered on the older Safari. One member here has it. Don't know what made Tata discontinue that color, just before I bought mine

IMO the Storme looks best in that beige shade.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 12:59   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

My first priority when selecting a car shade is how well it accentuates the contours of the car, and how it will be perceived by the onlooker.

No doubt, Black looks the most classy on any car (a Ford Fiesta in Black is total droolmaal!), followed by shiny Blue and metallic Grey shades, but all of them are a real pain to maintain. White, Silver and most light shades are easier to maintain and are more commonly found, but with time they tend to lose their luster, however well they are maintained. Royal Beige is another shade which looks classy and also is easy to maintain, but it is not commonly found in all cars.

Our first car, Dad's Premier Padmini Deluxe BE, came in an unique Chocolate Brown shade! Although Dad didn't like it much (he got it changed to Blue about 10 years later), I thought it was the perfect balance between dark and light shades, hid gathering dust easily, small scratches were hard to make out, and it was also quite visible at night. She stayed with us for 19 long years.

What influences your choice of car colour?-20140722_043738.jpg

Our second car, the Maruti-Suzuki Esteem VXi, was in white. No particular reason for choosing the same other than availability and ease of maintenance. Even after negligence in maintaining her due to Dad's increased busy schedule at work, this is how she looked when we sold her off back in 2012:

What influences your choice of car colour?-20121226_113432.jpg

Meanwhile, my first car arrived in 2006. It was a humble Maruti 800, in the very common 800-ish Blue. There was no hiding the scratches and bumps on that particular blue shade, and it lost much of it's shine during the 6 years she stayed with me. I am to be blamed for this, because for the most part I was too caught up in other stuff to keep her well-maintained. I was also ignorant on waxing, shining and other aspects of car maintenance during this period.

What influences your choice of car colour?-img_0009.jpg

So, when the time came to upgrade, I went ahead and got myself the Honda City Corporate. No choices in shades, unfortunately, as the Corporate variant came in only two colour choices - White or Silver. Opted for Silver because it looked better in sync with the black exterior parts of the car, and it highlighted the contours of the City much better than the white shade during daytime. The fact that it was easier to maintain and was slightly more uncommon than White, were also the feel-good factors.

What influences your choice of car colour?-20130302_145648.jpg

Such a gem of a car. Took much abuse and moments of rash driving quite well, and kept serving me very faithfully. I still regret selling it off last year. One of the most hasty and silly decisions of my life.

The Silver shade was to be a part of our car-driving lives on 2 more occasions: bought a Ritz VDi & subsequently a Swift ZXi for Dad, both in the common Maruti-Suzuki Silver shades. Again, ease of maintenance, hiding scratches quite easily, and easy availability of the shade for paint jobs were the primary reasons. The Ritz has been sold off since, and we still have the Swift with us:

What influences your choice of car colour?-20121224_170302.jpg

What influences your choice of car colour?-20140806_131106.jpg

Upgraded to the 2014 Honda City when it was launched, and I was pretty sure this time that I would go for the most uncommon color shade available. Availability of rare shades was a big problem due to the rush and waiting periods the new City commanded, but I was able to pull a few strings to get myself a Golden Brown VMT i-DTEC allotted by March-end.

It was a shade exclusive to the City (in the Honda lineup), and it looked absolutely classy! Besides looking royal and majestic, the Golden Brown shade has this unique effect - it changed colours when viewed from different angles! Small metallic bits in the finish meant that this shade shone under direct sunlight - another rather novel aspect of this particular shade. On the downside, it hid the contours of the new City quite well. You had to come close to the car to actually catch the creases on the doors, bumper sides, etc. More prominent creases (running line across the doors, front bonnet creases) were visible though. Of course, being a dark shade and very close to black, it required plenty of maintenance. The Jopasu Duster & the Meguiars kits became my regular friends during this ownership.

What influences your choice of car colour?-img_5815.jpg

Earlier this year, I bought the Hyundai Creta SX+ in White. Initially, I wanted the Stardust shade (close to Metallic Grey) but one look at the Creta in White and I knew that it suited the size and contours of this "SUV" the most. Not only did the Creta give the perception of looking bigger in white, it also complimented the red tail-lamps, the blackened A & B pillars, and the chrome grille up front brilliantly. Also, it was one of the more easily available colour shades, and is also easy to maintain too. Despite being a common colour shade, the Creta is one of those rare cars which looks dashing in it's white avatar:

What influences your choice of car colour?-20150802_124432.jpg

We own our cars with a passion, so maintenance is not an issue. I used to use the Jopasu Duster on my 2014 City every day, with weekly washing and monthly shining a part of my busy schedule. The most important aspect of choosing a car shade is how good/bad it looks on the chosen car, and while some shades suit most cars to a T (Black, Red and Blue being the best), some can look awfully outlandish (Green, Yellow, Pink?!).

My advice - go with your heart when you choose a car colour shade, so that you feel an oneness with your chosen steed every morning when you peek out in your garage to see it. Maintaining it will come automatically, and you will actually feel great while polishing that wonderful shade, just like prepping your kids for school, or a party/celebration.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th December 2015 at 13:05.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 13:05   #87
BHPian

My selection is based on what color suits a specific car.
For example, I like dark grey color on cars but the low models of Elite i20 loom so cheap in dark grey.
The white on swift looks good, but in my opinion doesn't suit Corolla Altis (not the off white one).
kvsingh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 13:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

I prefer solid shades as they are the easiest to repaint/touch up & get a proper colour match.
On top of that white is the cheapest to repaint, and easiest to maintain, plus looks decently dignified,

so white it is !
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 19:10   #89

Talking Re: What influences your choice of car colour?

Just love this colour - Estoril Blue 2.My grandfather had an Ambassador in a much lighter blue.
Attached Thumbnails
What influences your choice of car colour?-photo4.jpg  

shrjun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 22:59   #90
BHPian

My color preference in cars is black. Maintaining a black car is pretty hard, but the shine and gloss on a freshly washed and detailed car makes me smile

Both my Grande Punto and Santro Xing are black and I'm used to maintaining them on a regular basis.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote