Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th March 2017, 18:42   #511
BANNED

Default Re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Not true. Many of us enthusiasts prefer manual gearboxes as they are more engaging. Already nowadays, everything is becoming electronic. Seems like the car relies more on it's tech than the skills of it's driver. Not a good thing from an enthusiasts point of view.

Not true. Polo TSI has a soft suspension which is good for bad roads but not at all good for cornering. Ironic considering it is marketed as a sporty car. Only the engine does not make a car sporty.

Can't be too sure of it. Let's wait for comprehensive road tests and ownership reviews first. Then we'll make a conclusion as to which car is better.

Polo TSI is just a regular Polo with TSI engine and DSG gearbox. Baleno RS has a different suspension and 4 disc brakes.
Buddy that gearbox and engine combo is worth the extra premium they charge. Simple as that. Thats the VFM aspect we're talking about and has ESP too which prevents 1/3rd of all accidents
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 18:56   #512
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Buddy that gearbox and engine combo is worth the extra premium they charge. Simple as that. Thats the VFM aspect we're talking about and has ESP too which prevents 1/3rd of all accidents
Never commented on the pricing. My point was people have different preferences. Some like driving sedate, some spiritedly. Some prefer old school tech, some would rather have the electronics. So basically, you can't say Polo is a better car because it has DSG and Baleno has a manual.

On the other hand, if Baleno had CVT, that would've been an apt comparison.

And also, do note I'm not saying Baleno is a better car than Polo. Let's drive both the cars first.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 4th March 2017 at 18:58.
Old 4th March 2017, 19:21   #513
Senior - BHPian

Visited the Nexa showroom today hoping to get the on road price.
The car was at one corner and had no one even looking at it,obviously no one knows the difference.
The staff themselves had no idea of the launch price announced yesterday.

Their guess after some discussion was between 10 & 10.5 road.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img_4084.jpg  

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img_4085.jpg  

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img_4078.jpg  

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img_4081.jpg  

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img_4082.jpg  

tharian is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 20:03   #514
Senior - BHPian

To offset the huge premium that Maruti is asking for the RS, i hope they come out with a lower Zeta Variant ( which in itself in generously equipped, complete with alloys, rear wash wipe, ACC).
I would happily save a lakh just to lose the Xenon lamps and the Touchscreen system (which btw, still doesn't get Android auto in baleno)
Old 4th March 2017, 20:36   #515
BHPian

Autocar India have done a track test of the Baleno RS.

Quoting their verdict:
Quote:
The Baleno RS wonít disappoint if you are looking for a quick family hatchback. Thereís ample performance and the car even feels better to drive than the standard petrol version. But, is it enough to justify the RS badge? The answer is no. Perhaps, Maruti should have just called it the Baleno Boosterjet as itís called abroad. The RS badge is a bit more special and the car doesnít do justice to it and at Rs 1.4 lakh more than the standard petrol itís quite a stretch too. So, what you pay for is the engine, slightly stiffer chassis and improved steering and suspension. Well, our source confirms that all Balenos will get the stiffer chassis soon. So, unless you want a bit of exclusivity the standard petrol does the job.
Link

Maruti should have spruced up the interiors at least to justify the 1.4 lac premium over the 1.2 petrol top end version. Better quality of interior plastics, Leather seats, 6 airbags and the flat bottomed steering seen on the next-gen Swift should have been provided on the Baleno RS.
red.devil_19 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 22:31   #516
BHPian

Yes Zeta is almost the equivalent of Zdi in MS Showrooms. Alpha is like Zdi+.

A zeta variant should be on as well. My guess is that they would come out with the Zeta later if the alpha sales do not kick off as planned. But with the pricing, believe Alpha will sell very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
To offset the huge premium that Maruti is asking for the RS, i hope they come out with a lower Zeta Variant ( which in itself in generously equipped, complete with alloys, rear wash wipe, ACC).
I would happily save a lakh just to lose the Xenon lamps and the Touchscreen system (which btw, still doesn't get Android auto in baleno)
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 22:32   #517
Senior - BHPian

Drove the car at BIC today. Honestly, it's definitely sportier than the 1.2 NA. However, it's still not too exciting. Could just about nudge 170 KMPH on the back straight. Couldn't time using proper equipment but it feels like a 12 secs run to 100 KMPH. It's definitely more stable than the regular Baleno. There's no lag whatsoever. It's still not a patch on the Abarth Punto though. As a more powerful, albeit pricier, alternative to the Baleno 1.2, it makes sense. But a hot hatch? There are definitely hotter options in this price bracket.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-marutibalenorstestdrivereviewimages-10.jpg  

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 4th March 2017 at 22:34.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 23:37   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Drove the car at BIC today. Honestly, it's definitely sportier than the 1.2 NA. However, it's still not too exciting. Could just about nudge 170 KMPH on the back straight. Couldn't time using proper equipment but it feels like a 12 secs run to 100 KMPH. It's definitely more stable than the regular Baleno. There's no lag whatsoever. It's still not a patch on the Abarth Punto though. As a more powerful, albeit pricier, alternative to the Baleno 1.2, it makes sense. But a hot hatch? There are definitely hotter options in this price bracket.

Regards
How is the NVH, especially noise? Is that nice petrol refinement that you get on the 1.2 lost with the 3-cylinder?

Does the steering feel better?
Old 5th March 2017, 01:30   #519
BHPian

tjacob is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 04:37   #520
Senior - BHPian

Baleno RS Brochure is out

Link

PDF uploaded on Team-BHP's server

Baleno-RS-Brochure.pdf

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-1.jpg

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-2.jpg

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-3.jpg

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-4.jpg

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-5.jpg

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-6.jpg
Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 5th March 2017 at 04:43.
Leoshashi is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 08:41   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
40K cut is good enough over the Polo. Most would prefer the engine in MT avatar vs. automatic.
Plus, Baleno deserves to be priced close to the Polo despite MT as they have a separate suspension setup for the RS (that VW does not have for GT TSI), they have detuned the engine partially for more mileage (definitely more mileage than GT TSI), all 4 disc brakes (not present in VW) and most importantly, the same chassis/build as WW (This is the same Baleno chassis/body that ships Worldwide and is the latest Baleno - cannot say the same about Polo)
Baleno RS could have been priced at par with GT TSI as well owing to the above.
Sportier chassis, suspension and steering are welcome for the RS badge. To be honest, I loved the TSi + DSG combo but didn't go for it as the steering was too vague and the suspension was too soft. Thank god Baleno's sporty variant comes with a separate setup unlike the Polo.
But the Polo's build quality is miles ahead, that red paint on the Polo and the similar red paint on the Baleno are poles apart in quality same for interiors and exteriors too. If I compare Baleno with the Polo, I just can't want the Baleno thinking that I will be sitting surrounded by cheap hard plastics of the Baleno.
I don't agree that this 40k ₹ price gap is justified. Polo's DSG definitely is a costly proposition and Baleno with a manual should be at least ₹ 1L cheaper. Where are those savings from cheap build quality are going after all? And than its a 3 cyl 1L unit, no comparison with Polo's TSi.
itsashishsharma is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 10:17   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Sportier chassis, suspension and steering are welcome for the RS badge. To be honest, I loved the TSi + DSG combo but didn't go for it as the steering was too vague and the suspension was too soft. Thank god Baleno's sporty variant comes with a separate setup unlike the Polo.
Not any more, I think. I took delivery of a VW GT TSI just a day and a half ago. Make year is Feb 2017. The car has 16" alloys and the tyres are 195/55/R16 (the previous version tyres were 185/65 in 15"). The only thing I have done since then is to change the stock Gooyear Assurance tyres to Continental MC5 (same size, i.e. 195/55/R16).

I took a couple of test drives in January in the old version. Indeed I found the steering light and a bit vague, and the suspension a bit soft. However, the rumour was already there that the GT TSi was going to come in 16" rims. I had the option of choosing either version, as the dealership had one of the previous version in stock. I took a chance, and chose the new version.

Now what is the difference in the new version? I did not have the opportunity to drive more than 25 kms since I took delivery. But initial impression is that the steering feel has improved immensely (especially after switching to the Continentals). My other car is a 2012 Honda City which has a very light steering. Yesterday I drove both cars back to back for brief periods, and could compare. The GT steering now has noticeable feedback. The suspension, I feel, has also been firmed up adequately and has been made tighter.

My guess is that VW may have had inside information about the upcoming Baleno RS and accordingly made the changes in rim size and other adjustments with the steering and suspension in the GT version, as they have been doing all these years with incremental updates all through.

AFAIK, the change to 16" rims is only for the GT version, because at the time of the delivery, all the normal Polos in the showroom had 15" rims. I checked each one there. But they may be from the old stock, hard for me to tell.

I will make more definite statement about the steering and suspension as I drive more. I really cannot take the car to its limits during the run-in period.

Mods: I am sorry, my post is mostly about the GT TSi in a Baleno RS thread. But since comparisons are being made frequently especially with the GT TSi, I thought I should present my impressions on the new version of GT TSi. If you feel, this is inappropriate here, kindly move it to a GT thread.

Last edited by asitkde : 5th March 2017 at 10:42.
asitkde is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 12:09   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
How is the NVH, especially noise? Is that nice petrol refinement that you get on the 1.2 lost with the 3-cylinder?

Does the steering feel better?
NVH is same as earlier. Steering is same, too. The stability has improved. RS uses a strengthened chassis, which is likely to soon make it to other Baleno 1.2 petrol and 1.3 Diesel as well
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 13:03   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
To be honest, I loved the TSi + DSG combo but didn't go for it as the steering was too vague and the suspension was too soft.

that red paint on the Polo and the similar red paint on the Baleno are poles apart in quality same for interiors and exteriors too. If I compare Baleno with the Polo, I just can't want the Baleno thinking that I will be sitting surrounded by cheap hard plastics of the Baleno.
All VWs have slightly 'vague' but accurate steering feel - especially if you're used to better setups from Ford and Fiat. In fact, my 2006 Swift was better.

I agree with the GT TSI stock suspension being too soft - I upgraded to Bilstein B6s in mine. The additional bonus with that is even with stock 15 inch alloys and tyres, the steering feel has improved tremendously. Perhaps the Baleno's stock setup is good enough to not warrant an upgrade, that's definitely a brownie point in Maruti's favour.

While I agree with you on the paint quality superiority over Maruti, I would say that I'm surrounded by super hard, reasonably scratchy plastics on my Polo as well - I can't say I'm happy about it.

Personally though, I wish they equipped the Baleno with an ESC. To me, the active safety it offers is far more valuable than any other passive safety measures such as 6 airbags.
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 13:08   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Personally though, I wish they equipped the Baleno with an ESC. To me, the active safety it offers is far more valuable than any other passive safety measures such as 6 airbags.
Pardon me if I'm wrong but is ESP really required on entry level hatchbacks with 100 odd bhps?

Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing to have (you can never have too much of safety) but does it really warrant it on a low powered car?

On the other hand, 6 airbags will be more useful on such cars.
Closed Thread