Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd February 2016, 20:33   #31
Default Re: Hyundai i20 twins get dual airbags across the range, Sportz (O) variant discontinued

Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
From my understanding of the NCAP ratings, passive safety devices give a better rating as compared to active safety , maybe this leads the car makers to provide airbags over ABS.

From the NCAP site (http://www.euroncap.com/en/about-eur...ion-explained/)

If Magna were the highest selling variant it would be chosen for the test, therein the inclusion of airbags would give a better rating than ABS.
Doesn't this also become a kind of cheating. You provide Airbags just to get better rating on the crash tests.

As GTO mentioned earlier, ABS will probably prevent you from having that accident, while Airbags will most likely save you if, God forbid, you have the accident.

But I do understand some logic behind the NCAP rating Airbags higher, since they are testing "crash" worthiness, hence the assumption that you are crashing anyway and the test is to check how safe you will be if you have the crash.

IMHO, I would want the pair of systems at the very least (ABS+EBD and Airbags).
nmenon is offline   Reply With Quote