Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th January 2016, 17:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chennai Flood Impact: Large number of cars up for online auction at throwaway base prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Now comes the interesting bit, BMW is now offered them a new car in replacement of the old car for a nominal charge of 50,000.
Run away from this deal. Even Maruti won't replace their Swift for an amount as low os 50,000 so it is impossible for BMW to replace a flood affected car with a new one for 50k, even if that 3 series is 2 years old lying in their stock, it can not go for that low.

Ask the dealer to share VIN and have a look at the car, some thing is seriously shady here.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 17:25   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai Flood Impact: Large number of cars up for online auction at throwaway base prices

In essence, we should be wary of the flood affected spare parts of these cars coming in to market.
But some of the figures are quite hard to believe, especially it being an online auction.
MSAneesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 17:29   #33
BHPian

Talking Re: Chennai Flood Impact: Large number of cars up for online auction at throwaway base prices

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2016 at 10:45.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 7th January 2016, 18:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It just did not make any sense as too why would BMW be so courteous.
Did your friend have BMW secure?

The highest version of BMW secure has a return to invoice value feature in case of a total loss.

Maybe its that.
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 19:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

The highest version of BMW secure has a return to invoice value feature in case of a total loss.

Maybe its that.
Let me check on that. The owner himself is ready to pay the difference of 22 lacs to get the new car, but BMW wants to give it by charging only 50k.
SnS_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 19:42   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

Maybe its that.
Yes BMW secure does have this feature. Quoting from the Secure brochure presented to me - "In case of total loss, the damaged car shall be replaced with a new car of same make, model including cost of vehicle Registration and statutory cover cost."
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 22:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the orher day my fater in law told me about his friends BMW (3 series I guess) which got damaged in the floods. The book value was 27 lacs and its a total loss. Now comes the interesting bit, BMW is now offered them a new car in replacement of the old car for a nominal charge of 50,000.

It just did not make any sense as too why would BMW be so courteous. Are they trying to get rid of any old stock lying with them or if its a damaged car. Has anyone heard of a similar instance in Chennai with BMW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Yes BMW secure does have this feature. Quoting from the Secure brochure presented to me - "In case of total loss, the damaged car shall be replaced with a new car of same make, model including cost of vehicle Registration and statutory cover cost."
Initially sounded bizarre, but after seeing Santosh's post, remembered even the Volkswagen insurance via Bajaj Allianz has this feature. The policy is called Drive Assure Elite and one can get it only via Volkswagen Insurance from the dealer. Basically in case of total loss, the insurance covers the cost of an equivalent new car including taxes, registration and insurance. Elite policy can be taken for the first 3 years. It is expensive, but in such a scenario it would be a godsend for folks who have such a coverage. An extract below.

Name:  bajajall1.jpg
Views: 8311
Size:  231.2 KB

From what I read on BMW Secure, it is also a policy from Bajaj Allianz available only through the dealer.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 23:26   #38
Team-BHP Support

Frankly the insurance companies are doing a dis-service. If it was abroad, they would have been scrapped.

UK has 4 categories

A - Car are so badly damaged, these must be scrapped. Parts cannot be even salvaged
B: - Parts can be salvaged but the body shell should be crushed
C: - Repairable but costs exceed vehicles value - car will need to be inspacted and deemed roadworthy
D: - Costs significant compared to vehicle value, parts might take time but car can be made roadworthy easily

In the case of Chennai, most fully submerged cars in this case would be A and some in C but we not see insurers actually taking the initiative to deregister a car or ensurig recertification
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 12:06   #39
BHPian

From what I have heard a flooded car could be made roadworthy in case the Engine is not started and towed to the ASC to drain all the water and oils replaced. Now how true is this? What are the other possible damages that could happen due to water, except the external damages to body in case the car floats & hits obstacles?

On the other hand, I see a lot of used cars on sale from Chennai especially on T BHP Classifieds. What should we be possibly looking out for while checking these cars so that our friends & folks looking at these could be warned?
unni246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 13:13   #40
BHPian

A friend of mine has a flood affected car. The repair estimate is more the IDV of his car and he is trying to figure out the next step. He is not keen on buying a new car due to financial reasons and would like to get his car repaired and use it. One of the options suggested to him was that get his car totaled and get the money due to him from insurance and then buy back his car from insurance and use part of the money he has to service the car and get it running and keep the remaining amount for future repairs. Is this even legal or possible? In the event of it being possible, is there any re-registration or RTO related work that is needed to be done before the car can be on the road. Thanks in advance.
altius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 09:21   #41
BHPian

Do any of the people who bought these cars realise that most of cars above 5 lakhs these days have multiple control units not just Ecu but Pcm (power steering control module), Air bag control module, Body control module and immobiliser systems relating to instrument cluster etc. And more than 10 lakh car has even more complex systems. even slight water if it gets into the module means replacement and recoding which is not easy task. I attend to many of these cars daily and for small reasons itself we are left scratching heads. On top of that cars with DSG gearbox all of them suffered Dual mass flywheel failure.

There is heavy shortage of parts so even the parts prices have been inflated heavily.

I have no idea what were the geniuses thinking when buying the cars at online auction.

Last edited by lillios : 9th January 2016 at 09:22.
lillios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 09:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillios View Post
Do any of the people who bought these cars realise that most of cars above 5 lakhs these days have multiple control units not just Ecu but Pcm (power steering control module), Air bag control module, Body control module and immobiliser systems relating to instrument cluster etc. And more than 10 lakh car has even more complex systems. even slight water if it gets into the module means replacement and recoding which is not easy task. I attend to many of these cars daily and for small reasons itself we are left scratching heads. On top of that cars with DSG gearbox all of them suffered Dual mass flywheel failure.

There is heavy shortage of parts so even the parts prices have been inflated heavily.

I have no idea what were the geniuses thinking when buying the cars at online auction.
If not powered, most electronic circuits can survive mild exposure to pure H2O. So the first thing you need to do during flooding is to remove the battery from the car. Also if you clean up the circuit boards thoroughly by iso propyl alcohol the damages will be minimized. But no dealer ship will be inclined to open up these units. But there are lot of circuit repair guys out there who do these kind of jobs. They will make a killing.

Last edited by poloman : 9th January 2016 at 09:55.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 09:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The policy is called Drive Assure Elite and one can get it only via Volkswagen Insurance from the dealer. Basically in case of total loss, the insurance covers the cost of an equivalent new car including taxes, registration and insurance. Elite policy can be taken for the first 3 years. It is expensive, but in such a scenario it would be a godsend for folks who have such a coverage. An extract below.

From what I read on BMW Secure, it is also a policy from Bajaj Allianz available only through the dealer.
Wow! This policy is so cool. Is it possible to add the same when going for renewal? I brought Ciaz and it is insured with National Insurance via Maruti, I thought nil depreciation is the maximum that we could insure, but this is so cool. Is it possible add this cover at extra premium?
sathya_g_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 12:00   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Wow! This policy is so cool. Is it possible to add the same when going for renewal? I brought Ciaz and it is insured with National Insurance via Maruti, I thought nil depreciation is the maximum that we could insure, but this is so cool. Is it possible add this cover at extra premium?
If Maruti and/or the insurance vendor has such a plan, you should be able to opt for it when renewing( for x number of years- For VW it is 3 years).

But the incremental premium is expensive. I think it was 10-12k for my new Vento 2 years back. So whether it is useful is a debatable point.

In the BMW case mentioned above, it was probably the best thing to have.

Any VW buyer who has a <3 year old car and had opted for the default insurance from the dealer should have got this policy and should be able to benefit from this clause.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th January 2016 at 12:03.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 22:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Trivia: Interesting to see that while there are 16 VW's, 24 Skodas, 30 Hyundai's, 19 Honda's, there are only 6 Maruti Suzuki's. An indication that a Maruti can always be repaired at a decent cost?
No Tata vehicles at ALL ? Don't tell me that Tata is less used in chennai! or maybe this auctioneer is not dealing with tata vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz_500 View Post
I heard one of my service engineer friends say that around 23 lakh cars have come for insurance claim-though not all are a total out case.
Man, this is HUGE numbers. Insurance companies are going to take a hit and most likely, new policies will have clauses excluding flood damages. Need to start reading the fine print again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
My friend in Chennai is looking to buy a used car and I have cautioned him well. I will share this spread-sheet with him to ensure that he does not go anywhere near these VIN numbers.

Buying a used car in Chennai will be a risky one for the next 8 to 10 months.

Thanks for the compilation.
Less than 2L cars are listed in the site , that is approx. 10% of 23 Lakh cars. A big percentage of cars does not even figure out in this list. My suggestion - don't even look at buying any used car from chennai - unless you know the seller very well. It is not worth the risk. In fact, there could be other state registration also and if you want to make a more sweeping statement, be very wary of buying used cars from down south.

Experts, can you suggest what to specifically look for which might indicate a flood/water damage ? esp. to the internals like engine, etc. ? any tell tale signs to watch out for ?

Last edited by haria : 9th January 2016 at 22:19.
haria is offline   Reply With Quote