Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th February 2017, 08:28   #46
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV

Kia's version of the upcoming sub-4m Hyundai compact SUV (Kona?) will be based on the new Kia Rio (Hyundai i20's cousin). It's likely to be called the Stonic, and the first camouflaged test mule has been spotted:

On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV-kiastonic1-1.jpg

On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV-kiastonic6-1.jpg

On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV-kiastonic10.jpg

Quote:
Internally known as project SE, sources indicate that the model will reach the market as the Kia Stonic. Whatever it's called, the model is slated to slot in underneath the Soul (and well underneath the Sportage), and with a less boxy, more conventional SUV-like shape. It's also expected to pack a range of turbocharged four-cylinder engines driving the front wheels, with all-wheel drive a likely option.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/201...issan.html?m=1

Last edited by RSR : 4th February 2017 at 08:44.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 09:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitthari View Post
Frankly speaking I am now way too tired of Hyundai's "Fluidic Design" concept. I mean keep i10, i20, Verna, Creta and Tucson together and look at them. They all look the same to me with slight differences in their heights (No offence meant)
"Fluidic Design" is just marketing terminology, in the end its just design. Hyundai as a company needed to stand out from the rest and this design helped them do just that, they marketed the "fluidic" thing a bit too much thats all. Today their designs are anything but extreme and have the right mixture of refined lines, and alluring curves. If you look at the current trend Honda and Toyota who were earlier known for flat panels and conservative designs are today making cars that look far more extreme than the much flogged "fluidic sculpture" of Hyundai (well Honda were always adventurous with designs but today they are much more so, just look at the amount of creases and cuts on the Jazz and the new Civic).

As for a family look, all companies have it today and Hyundai has it to a far lesser degree. Technically, no body panels are similar between the Grand i10 & i20, the i20 & Verna, and Creta & Tucson, the dashboard layout for all of them are completely different. In VW for example, the dashboard and front 2 quarters were 100% similar in the Polo & Vento and still continue to be the same (except for the newly thickened logo grille on the Vento), even the new Rapid which is a Skoda resembles a Vento almost 95% today, gone are its formerly characterful curves. If weren't for its headlights I'd even confuse a Jetta for a Polo from a good distance. Again I'm not criticizing any of these well respected brands, its just how design for automobiles have evolved.

I used to think BMW made the most beautiful automobiles on earth, the angel eyes which were round and had a rustic yet beautifully creative feel, the curves and the simple, traditionalist yet functional driver focused dashboard layout etc. Examples were the E 328i Series, the E34 5 Series & the 2014 7 Series, what do we have now? A 3, 5 and 7 Series's that look simply like larger/smaller versions of each other depending on model of comparison, and VW-like squarer, unimaginative flat lines everywhere.

Design is, perhaps, personal.. and that's why its debated so much, however platform sharing and familial look are here to stay and that's why vehicles will increasingly resemble each other within the same brand. "Clean European lines" is a tag that is marketed only in India, the Europeans themselves know that their cars are anything but conservative, for example the Peugeots, the Citroens, the made-for-Europe Nissans and Toyotas, even Fiats have enough quirks and character in them and yet are loved by the buyers.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 18:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
"Fluidic Design" is just marketing terminology, in the end its just design. Hyundai as a company needed to stand out from the rest and this design helped them do just that, they marketed the "fluidic" thing a bit too much thats all. Today their designs are anything but extreme and have the right mixture of refined lines, and alluring curves.
Thanks for the response. Its common knowledge that looks are subjective and I understand "fluidic" is a name. I also understand the fact that platform sharing is a cost effective strategy that every OEM out there will have to do and is here to stay.

Now "Family looks" in a shared platform makes absolute sense in cars like a Brio, Amaze and Mobilio or in Polo and Vento or in Grand i10 and Xcent. But every single car out there from a brand need not carry the "family looks" For ex: Look at Amaze and BRV at the least Honda tried to make a difference to the looks even if they belong to the same "family and platform". Ford India does a neat job of differentiating their cars, our own Maruti does a good job of differentiating their cars. Differentiating here does not mean technical aspects as they might have to be done anyway based on the type of car.

This is not criticism, but a thought. Why shouldn't cars from the same OEM look different? Look at it this way. Why should an i20 and Creta look similar except for the size difference?
Nitthari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 19:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitthari View Post

Frankly speaking I am now way too tired of Hyundai's "Fluidic Design" concept. I mean keep i10, i20, Verna, Creta and Tucson together and look at them. They all look the same to me with slight differences in their heights (No offence meant)
Add Eon also to the list, IMO.

The term "Family look" itself is a wrong methodology. Why should all the cars from a manufacturer look the same? They can use the same under-lying platform, build cars of same good quality, but the cars should look different from one another. Suzuki does a good thing at it. They have around 15 models here in India, but most of them look different from one another.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 19:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's to plug the gap in the B SUV portfolio in Europe by end 2017.

Rendered B SUV from Hyundai will join the i20 Active , for sale from 2015, to bridge the lack of a compact crossover.
Quote:
The B-SUV Hyundai (his name is unknown) will resume almost certainly the i20 the basic mechanics and engines, which should be the 1.2 petrol 75 hp and 84 hp, the 1.0 petrol 100 bhp three cylinder turbo, the 1.1 diesel with 75 hp and the 1.4 diesel from 90 hp. The car will be officially presented by the end of 2017 and will come next year in dealerships.
Name:  hyundaibsuvilrenderingdelsuvcompattoc483c20c951c8e803b5414e89f629649.jpg
Views: 9071
Size:  92.2 KB
Name:  hyundaibsuvilrenderingdelsuvcompatto50e1a6a5a0a2743a0ce91c8b9874d6b5.jpg
Views: 8507
Size:  70.6 KB
Name:  hyundaibsuvilrenderingdelsuvcompatto2d2c11abf6fb66352a851f0e353cbe3e.jpg
Views: 8416
Size:  63.5 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 19:19   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Rendered B SUV from Hyundai will join the i20 Active , for sale from 2015, to bridge the lack of a compact crossover.
I hope this rendering is all wrong. The current i20 Elite is just too good. Something like this comes in, it is sure to un-do a lot for the i20.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 19:38   #52
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

The rendering may be rather accurate, but the reporting is incorrect. The rendered vehicle is basically the crossover derivative of the new i30. It has almost nothing to do with the i20 or i20 Active.

One may consider it as an i30 Active, but it's a bit more than that - it's not just a cross variant family, but a crossover derivative.

By the way, the rendered vehicle is not for India. As a crossover derivative of the new i30, it's for the markets where the i30 hatchback has already been launched or will be launched soon.

India will get an i20-based sub-4m crossover (derived from the Carlino concept) to compete against the EcoSport & Vitara Brezza, and this may also be sold in other countries. China is sure to get the sub-4m car almost as soon as India, with other countries getting it afterwards.
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 16:02   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
India will get an i20-based sub-4m crossover (derived from the Carlino concept) to compete against the EcoSport & Vitara Brezza, and this may also be sold in other countries. China is sure to get the sub-4m car almost as soon as India, with other countries getting it afterwards.
Correction - the sub-compact crossover "Carlino" concept is based on a stretched Grand i10 platform.

It will be powered by an 1.0L, 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol (available on the international-spec i20) paired to a 5-speed manual and an AMT, and an 1.4L U2 diesel engine, again borrowed from the i20, paired to a 6-speed manual.

Internally code-named "QXi", the "Carlino" concept will be pitted against the likes of the EcoSport and the Vitara Brezza, albeit priced at a slight premium over the competition.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 11:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai reveals its S/CUV plans. At the launch of its new crossover Kona, Hyundai reveals plan for 2 more S/Cuv's

1. 'A' Segment version of Kona , for launch in 2020 ( Carlino - India /EU?)
2. A SUV bigger than Santa Fe, ( NA markets ?)
3. EV version of Kona with a range of “more than 390km on a single charge (2018)

Quote:
Our plan is to come up with A-segment SUV - smaller than Kona - by 2020 - and so we want to embrace from A-segment to E-segment. We’re also planning to roll out an E-segment SUV that’s bigger than Santa Fe. We want our line-up to reflect our customers’ needs
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th June 2017 at 11:46.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 23:34   #55
BHPian

Birdie tells me that after launch of new Verna in August, Hyundai is preparing launch of Kona in India between October & November this year followed by Creta facelift in March next year.

The compact SUV space will be a hot category over the next 6 months as we will see
*Jeep Compass launch
*S-Cross facelift
*Tata Nexon launch
*Ecosport facelift
*Vitara Brezza petrol launch
*Renault Captur launch
*Hyundai Kona launch
*Creta facelift
*Duster facelift

SUVs will be available across different price points.

Last edited by damager21 : 14th July 2017 at 23:35.
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 08:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Birdie tells me that after launch of new Verna in August, Hyundai is preparing launch of Kona in India between October & November this year followed by Creta facelift in March next year.
Respectfully disagree, there is no Kona for India as it is based on the i30 platform and is intended for developed markets where Creta could not sell because of its safety, specification and design. Being a new platform, Kona cannot be localized in India without substantial investments and there is already the Creta and the Tucson covering the INR 10-20 lakh segments.

If Kona was a seven-seater, there is a chance, but we gather the next gen Creta (2021 release) will spawn this variant.

At best Kona will be a display car at the Auto Expo. If intended for India this festive season, we should have seen test vehicles on the road by now. Also the car is hardly launched in thr South Korean market and is yet to reach Europe, its priority markets.
notjustshrawan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 15:17   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustshrawan View Post
Respectfully disagree, there is no Kona for India as it is based on the i30 platform and is intended for developed markets where Creta could not sell because of its safety, specification and design.
Shrawan is right, damager21. Your birdie has passed on incorrect information to you.

The Kona is not for our market. It has been deemed fit for only "developed" markets by Hyundai, as of now. If and when they think of bringing it to India, it won't be before 2020/2021, at least.

The next SUV offering from the Hyundai stable will be the sub-4m compact SUV, christened the "Carlino" concept, which will be positioned against the Brezza and the EcoSport. It won't be here before end-2018/early-2019.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote