Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th August 2016, 09:17   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 and Alto K10 get optional driver's airbag on all trims

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajn1702 View Post
I was persuaded by the SA to go for non-airbags variant .. --snip--
I personally have experienced this many times! The SA are just not interested to sell the Airbag version of the car. They would come out with n number of theories, right from the extra cost of the car till the cost of repairs in case if these get deployed.

The layman still does not understand and appreciate the importance of a seat beat, let alone the Airbags! Government making seatbelts and Airbags compulsory is only one part of the story, the users getting educated and actually using these safety features appropriately is the second and more crucial part.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 09:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 and Alto K10 get optional driver's airbag on all trims

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Received this very sad statistic from Maruti. Merely 5% of customers are buying the optional airbag.
If the cost hike is just 10,000 INR then, I would say that, Maruti should bite the bullet and make it a standard feature, instead of it being optional. Automatically, the number rises to more than 50% and soon 100% of it cars will have ABS/Airbags.

Having said that, we still need to teach "aam junta" the importance of safety belts :(

Last edited by amtak : 18th August 2016 at 09:56.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 17:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received this very sad statistic from Maruti. Merely 5% of customers are buying the optional airbag.
I think Maruti-Suzuki is trying to pull a fast one on us. I've personally experienced the extent to which Maruti's dealers go in trying to force a discerning customer to opt for a non-airbag variant.

More expensive to buy, expensive to repair in case of an accident, waiting period extending to months for cars that are otherwise available in a week or two, threat of injuries due to airbags delpoying, airbags being useless in city speeds and what not - the kind of reasons they give are at times silly and ridiculous. Some of these may be actually true but why aren't the scores of lives saved due to airbags not being told?

First-time car-buyers, the value-conscious and those who aren't exposed to the potential benefits of a car equipped with airbags can and will easily be deterred by what these sales personnel say. It's no wonder then that the percentage of Maruti-Suzuki buyers opting for airbags is so minuscule.

Last edited by arvi86 : 18th August 2016 at 17:22.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 21:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I am happy be one among the 5% who chose the option variants. I have booked a Wagon R Vxi AMT Option (Airbags +ABS) Variant in Passion Red colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I think Maruti-Suzuki is trying to pull a fast one on us. I've personally experienced the extent to which Maruti's dealers go in trying to force a discerning customer to opt for a non-airbag variant.
My personal experience while doing the booking was very different. There was no hesitation by the sales executive to take booking for the option variant. In fact the dealer, Indus Motors, Trivandrum had multiple pieces of the option variant - Silky Silver and Chocolate Brown colours in stock.

A week after I made the booking, I was informed that a Passion Red Option variant had come to the yard. But though the car was manufactured in July 2016, as the car had scratches on the bumper I told would wait for another piece.

Last edited by Ramon : 18th August 2016 at 21:42.
Ramon is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote