Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th November 2016, 15:29   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet gives Beat updates for 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New Beat (for India) seen on test again.

Unfortunately, the new Chevrolet Beat is not based on the same platform as the all-new international-spec Chevrolet Spark. It is essentially just a facelift and will not feature any mechanical changes. It will continue to run the same 57.1PS/142.5Nm, 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder turbo-diesel and the 77.9PS/106.5Nm, 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol. Both these options will get a 5-speed manual

Link
Now this is confusing. If it is just a cosmetic face-lift, why is the car being tested so much ?

Slightly off topic, but the same question had come to everyone's mind when the new Scorpio & Safari were being tested and as it turned out that the chassis were new in both cars.
I feel definitely there has to be some mechanical change to warrant so much testing
i_see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 21:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Spotted the face-lift Beat testing this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet gives Beat updates for 2016-1480522518347.jpg  

fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 19:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Undisguised updated Beat spied,

Name:  2017ChevroletBeat86478.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  68.1 KB
Name:  2017ChevroletBeat86477.jpg
Views: 2694
Size:  101.0 KB

Quote:
The new spyshots reveal the new design for the headlamps, a sleek grille with chrome accents and a new front bumper with fog lamps. The fascia is exactly identical to that of the Essentia sedan showed at the Auto Expo.Revised tail lamps and a completely new bumper housing the registration plate. The current Beat has the number plate on the tail gate.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd December 2016 at 19:29.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 09:56   #19
BHPian

Just cosmetic plastic surgery with the old engine and underpinnings wont suffice to bring in sales volumes that would make the Chevy's Finance guys happy. It's hardly 10 days since I sold off my 2011 TCDi. Let me jot down a few points from my ownership experience:

1. The 3 pot 1 L mill is a total disaster. I have spoken to owners of diesel motors that have'nt clocked upwards of 75K kms without an engine overhaul. In my circle itself there are 3 beats which underwent an overhaul. One had the engine replaced after running for just 10K.

2. There was nothing new about the turbo replacement as it is a routine affair every 30K kms.

3. High speed stability is negative.

4. I don't know about the others, but the service by Deedi Motors Kerala was just pathetic with no trained technicians with equally poor customer service. Spares are replaced on a 'trial & error method'. I was once forced to leave the vehicle for 2 weeks just for a minor brake service and finally ended up having the entire set replaced with a hefty bill. Finding the fuel tank bone dry was a routine after every service.

5. Resale value is virtually non-existent. No dealer is willing to exchange a Chevrolet for booking their new car. Even the local dealers shy away from the bow-tie. I had sold my vehicle at a huge loss.

As the proverb goes "Once bitten twice shy". So, in all Chevy would have to do more than mere a face-lift job to survive.

Last edited by sharoncr_17 : 27th December 2016 at 10:15.
sharoncr_17 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 10:33   #20
BHPian

I don't know anything about the car since I have never driven it. But, looks-wise it is definitely a step-back from the 'edgy' design of the existing version that had something exciting. This looks like Hyundai i10.
Animesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The new spyshots reveal the new design for the headlamps, a sleek grille with chrome accents and a new front bumper with fog lamps. The fascia is exactly identical to that of the Essentia sedan showed at the Auto Expo.Revised tail lamps and a completely new bumper housing the registration plate. The current Beat has the number plate on the tail gate.
Well done Chevrolet! This is going to change your fortunes in India.
By changing the headlamps, grille, tailgate and tail lights you think people will lap it up?
All the vehicles in your protfolio in India need a generation change and some need to be discontinued.
Please learn something from your American partner Ford.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 13:10   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This facelift makes the older car look fresher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoncr_17 View Post
1. The 3 pot 1 L mill is a total disaster. I have spoken to owners of diesel motors that have'nt clocked upwards of 75K kms without an engine overhaul. In my circle itself there are 3 beats which underwent an overhaul. One had the engine replaced after running for just 10K.

2. There was nothing new about the turbo replacement as it is a routine affair every 30K kms.

5. Resale value is virtually non-existent. No dealer is willing to exchange a Chevrolet for booking their new car. Even the local dealers shy away from the bow-tie. I had sold my vehicle at a huge loss.

As the proverb goes "Once bitten twice shy". So, in all Chevy would have to do more than mere a face-lift job to survive.
No offense, but I completely disagree with all the points you have wriiten.

I owned a 2012 Chevrolet Beat TCDi LT(O)

1. It served me without a single issue till I sold it in 2016, at 84,000 km on the odo

2. No turbo issues what so ever

3. High speed stability is better than a celerio / kwid. I have taken it to its limits and the car always handled predictably

5. I sold my car for 3 lakhs to Maruti truvalue. For a car that costed me 6.9 lakhs new, after 4 years and 84,000 km, 3 lakhs is a pretty good price i would say.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 13:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Undisguised updated Beat spied,

Attachment 1588022
Attachment 1588023

Link
The point also is where are the dealers to sell them? Most have moved on or shut shop in the last 2 years.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 16:23   #24
BHPian

Wow, this looks more of a blended SAIC and Chevy partnership product and in line with Sail-Uva and Sail.
amitahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 21:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

A completely uncamouflaged test mule of the updated Beat hatch has been caught on camera by an Overdrive reader.

The car spotted is in a bright orange shade, reminiscent of the Ford Figo.

Quote:
First off, what you notice in this updated Beat is the new orange colour. Compared to the outgoing car, the facelifted Beat has a sobered down grille but surrounded by chrome elements, and the lower lip is more pronounced while the shape of the fog lamp nacelles too are different. The headlamps have also undergone a revision while the bonnet is a pinched unit now. From the side, there is no difference though, and unlike the Essentia sedan that was showcased at the expo last year, this one doesn’t have the turn indicators on the wing mirrors. The alloy wheels look to be carried over from the outgoing car. At the rear, the lamps have undergone a redesign while the bumper along with the reflectors is new too. The loading lip, however, is still high.

Name:  2017ChevroletBeat3.jpeg
Views: 1461
Size:  200.5 KB

Name:  2017ChevroletBeat2.jpeg
Views: 1460
Size:  188.7 KB

Name:  2017ChevroletBeat1.jpeg
Views: 1465
Size:  154.9 KB
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 23:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Beat gets a lot of hate on the forum, but it is a smart little package. An automatic of AMT beat might get a second lease of life to GM India.

After driving diesel beat for more than 5 years, somehow many cars on the market - especially Maruti hatchbacks - seem far flimsier. Hyundai quality matches or exceeds the Beat quality. In Ford, I didn't feel quality of aspire to match or top the quality of metal in beat, only the ecosport seemed as proper upgrade in quality.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 13:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A completely uncamouflaged test mule of the updated Beat hatch has been caught on camera by an Overdrive reader.
I don't know if it is only me, but this looks like Chevrolet-Hyundai Beat. The headlights scream Hyundai and the front profile resembles the Hyundai family.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 19:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoncr_17 View Post
Just cosmetic plastic surgery with the old engine and underpinnings wont suffice to bring in sales volumes that would make the Chevy's Finance guys happy.

4. I don't know about the others, but the service by Deedi Motors Kerala was just pathetic with no trained technicians with equally poor customer service. Spares are replaced on a 'trial & error method'. I was once forced to leave the vehicle for 2 weeks just for a minor brake service and finally ended up having the entire set replaced with a hefty bill. Finding the fuel tank bone dry was a routine after every service.

To each his own !
I own a 2011 diesel Beat and have clocked 56,000Kms so far (it wasn't driven much for two years as I wasnt around)
but till now I haven't faced a single issue with the car. Its build quality is better than the Brio we have.
My car's turbo is working like a charm even today. Its gearshifts have improved a lot. I don't drive the car above 90kmph but occasionally touches 100kmph while overtaking on expressways, the car feels stable, although expecting stability like a Punto is again, too much to ask. Service is an issue now but that is sorted by some good friendly neighbourhood garages in Pune. Yes, resale is an issue so I have decided to keep this car until its time to scrap it

Routine servicing, keeping a watch on how hard the car is driven , ensuring the engine oil is replaced at regular intervals and following the 'turbocharger rule' has made living with the car a breeze !

Coming to the facelift, this is a case of 'too little too late'. As much as I love the front of the car it is not appealing as the body shell remains the same. Add to that GM India is in tatters, it remains to be seen how much the spend on advertising and marketing.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I don't know if it is only me, but this looks like Chevrolet-Hyundai Beat. The headlights scream Hyundai and the front profile resembles the Hyundai family.

--Anoop
I second you The front end is too reminiscent of the Hyundai family. This changed look should however drive some attention to the poor ol' Beat. The product has aged too much in comparison to its competitors. Hope this refresh can give the much needed new lease of life to the Beat! We will have to wait and watch.
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote