Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th November 2007, 00:01   #16
BHPian

minis are FWD cars, the S models are supercharged with 160HP, regular models come with 120HP. As for options, theres a million different options you can choose from. The 2007 has been changed a little with minor engine tweaks to make about 170HP I believe. The seats are but ugly, interior for 2007 is also much nicer, doesn't look so cheap. How much do you think the one in Hyderabad will cost?
As for difference, I believe the Mini cooper was actually re-released in 2002, so any models before that were rover's but not sure?
Old 10th November 2007, 01:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Guys,
I need an advice here too.
I have spotted a Mini Cooper in Hyderabad which will be coming up for sale shortly.Its a latest 90s model,but has a Automatic gear shift.
On top its a Rover Mini(not Mini Cooper)..whats the difference here?
Also were Minis fitted with Automatic gearshift ever in 90s.Was always under the impression that Minis were of Manual gear shift
any idea on how much this would be costing??
and can this car be used as a daily vehicle???
and what about the maintenance part??

sorry to shoot, so many questions

raj.
Old 10th November 2007, 05:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

The seller has not yet revealed the pricing,but im picking it up what ever he asks for...its a completely maintained Mini in Pristine condition
Old 10th November 2007, 09:29   #19
BHPian

The 90's Rover Mini and the Mini Cooper had only cosmetic changes with the same 1275cc engine.
And please check the custom papers properly because most of the mini cooper (Old Shape) were smuggled in to india. The papaers might seem fine to you but please get it checked by a lawyer.
Old 10th November 2007, 17:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The seller has not yet revealed the pricing,but im picking it up what ever he asks for...its a completely maintained Mini in Pristine condition
Hillram I can understand your enthusiasm but please do be careful. There were a lot of these auto minis imported spuriously Via southern india by a certain person who bought them in as Junk. He actually cut these cars and even their chassis and bought them in different consignments over a period of time to be assembled in his workshop also situated in the south. i was to buy one such car. Please ramp up the car and give the underbody a through washing to get all dust and grime off. Close inspection will show you if the chassis has been welded. Remember it was a through job so you will have to look very closely.
If its a yellow coloured rag top or covertible...thats one of the cars. this had a south number...TN if im not mistaken.
Then again if the owner has all the papers in order (ask for the bill of entry and check the duty paid, which should be a good amount) then it just might be a genuine import, but it does pay o be careful. you dont want your car vibrating violently over 90kmph and then coming apart do you?!!
Old 10th November 2007, 18:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

And an automatic old mini wil be slow....very slow
Old 11th November 2007, 10:25   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hillram I can understand your enthusiasm but please do be careful. There were a lot of these auto minis imported spuriously Via southern india by a certain person who bought them in as Junk. He actually cut these cars and even their chassis and bought them in different consignments over a period of time to be assembled in his workshop also situated in the south.
Geez, how did he manage that and live to tell the tale?

This yellow ragtop was somewhere on the forum...
Old 11th November 2007, 12:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hillram I can understand your enthusiasm but please do be careful. There were a lot of these auto minis imported spuriously Via southern india by a certain person who bought them in as Junk. He actually cut these cars and even their chassis and bought them in different consignments over a period of time to be assembled in his workshop also situated in the south. i was to buy one such car. Please ramp up the car and give the underbody a through washing to get all dust and grime off. Close inspection will show you if the chassis has been welded. Remember it was a through job so you will have to look very closely.
If its a yellow coloured rag top or covertible...thats one of the cars. this had a south number...TN if im not mistaken.
Then again if the owner has all the papers in order (ask for the bill of entry and check the duty paid, which should be a good amount) then it just might be a genuine import, but it does pay o be careful. you dont want your car vibrating violently over 90kmph and then coming apart do you?!!
, there were four or five of the mini's that were brought in by this route with varios other cars as well.
i know of one person who got stuck with a sore lemon from this guy and could not really drive the car straight. he finally sold the car to another unfortunate soul.
please do be carefull in purchaseing the car and dont let the low price excite you. do check the car thoroughly before taking things further.
Old 17th November 2007, 20:00   #24
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
did you pick it up. If so can you let us know if you were happy etc etc with the purchase as I am keen to know if I should look for a mini cooper locally in india or bring an original one form the UK.
Old 19th November 2007, 04:19   #25
BHPian

Hey guys there is a mini 1964 1000cc for sale... any1 interested
Old 30th January 2008, 23:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish9000 View Post
hey th
i am intersted in the mini
can u tell me where it is an wht condition
javed
Old 31st January 2008, 03:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish9000 View Post
Wouldnt mind getting that an putting a busa engine in it . Check this out - .

Suraj Bhalla from Team Motor Works has a mini shell lying in his garage for quite some time now . Incase You get a busa engine for it , what budget would you be looking at to make the car like the 1 in the link ABOVE .

Mini Dragster - Ultimatecarpage.com forums - Heres another link to the busa engined mini .
Old 2nd July 2009, 19:20   #28
BHPian

Default Mini Cooper In India 2010 Launch?!!

I have been told that the Mini Cooper is on its way in next year. They have started talking to vendors for both localizing parts as well as tropicalizing the car as a whole

They have been talking to an Indian autocomp. vendor who makes parts for other German cars. General consensus is that the current suspension design set up will not work on our roads. So they are looking at other design options or a beefier set up of the same suspension. It will be a pity for the car to fail here because an inappropriate suspension

Anyone have any whiffs of whats cooking? Launch dates? Prices? Specs?
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
15lacs for a Cooper is perfect positioning. I am sure BMW doesnt want to have a cheap VFM 10K sales per month car.

But to justify the price, It should have atleast a powerful engine and lots of kit.
Fiat has launched the 500 for 14-15 lacs. Since All the 500's imported by Fiat have been sold(It was an exercise by Fiat), BMW might launch the mini at around 20 lacs with a powerful engine. premium brand and bigger engine justifying their logic.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Mini Cooper, if launched here, will compete only with the Fiat 500.
Closed Thread