Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2010, 11:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Anyway, I doubt if BMW will launch Mini in India mainly because our market still consider 2-box cars as inferior ones to sedans, and also current Mini Cooper is only available in 3-door option.
I don't think that should be a reason why BMW doesn't want to launch the Mini Cooper. Mini Cooper if launched would be a lifestyle product just like Beetle or Fiat 500 though these are different classes but ultimately only people with good spending power and already have 3 or 4 cars at home might go for it!!!

But I have another argument to say:

Fiat and VW are beginning their business in India, so they need to focus a lot on Brand promotion. The 500 or the beetle could be part of that promotion. BMW has a very good presence in India, infact it threatens the position of the market leader in its segment, i guess BMW is not that desperate to prove their brand image. IMHO, the brand value which Mini Cooper gets to BMW is lower than what the value is added to Mini by the BMW!!!
Old 27th March 2010, 13:14   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

@kkr2k2: Totally agree with you. All the cars mentioned above classify into the lifestyle pr
oduct segment - normally as a second or third car. But these cars caters different sensibilities though. 500 and beetle for those who love the cute factor whereas mini give you that boy racer feel.
And another thing to go with your point is that even though bmw own mini, they dont market it as the same family car. They always treat it as a separate entity.
Old 28th March 2010, 01:36   #63
BHPian

i would imagine that it will be priced higher than the Fiat 500 and VW Beetle which were both at 19ish Lakhs on road. Therefore i dont expect it to be anywhere less than 25 Lakhs
Old 30th March 2010, 13:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
i would imagine that it will be priced higher than the Fiat 500 and VW Beetle which were both at 19ish Lakhs on road. Therefore i dont expect it to be anywhere less than 25 Lakhs
IRC, the fiat 500 is around 15 lakhs(ex-showroom hyderabad). You can also check that here: Fiat India

While the the beetle is around 21lakhs!! source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ch-mumbai.html (Report & Pics: Volkswagen Beetle and Touareg launch in Mumbai)
Old 13th September 2011, 13:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: BMW might launch Mini Cooper in India

Just noticed Hormazd Sorabjee tweet about the Mini being launched in India next year. He confirmed it while at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Amazing news, now all that's left is to find out the pricing...might just upgrade if the price is right
Old 13th September 2011, 15:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Without doubting his knowledge, you might wanna credit Team-Bhp where this news was broken a week back,

The thread where a week back announcement was made for Mini (BMW India 2012 and premium small cars and perceptions!)

Trust me a lot of information on news today has come from Team-Bhp, while I am not doubting the source of the above, I won't be surprised if it came from here a week ago from a post which Rehaan helped me retrieve.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Just noticed Hormazd Sorabjee tweet about the Mini being launched in India next year. He confirmed it while at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Amazing news, now all that's left is to find out the pricing...might just upgrade if the price is right
Old 13th September 2011, 15:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Didn't quite notice that thread somehow...i was just terribly happy to see that there was a semi-official announcement from something resembling the horse's mouth!

And yes, T-BHP is a terrific source of info (as you are too, I've been following most of your posts on here!), but the cynic in me always waits for some sort of an official announcement before going woohoo...that was me going woohoo :P

Mod Note : The Mini Cooper Official Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2012 at 14:26. Reason: Adding link to new Cooper thread
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread