Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st January 2016, 00:03   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!

This is very good move by Maruti Suzuki to reduce the price on all variants of S-Cross. Its a VFM now. I always liked the car for its amazing ride quality and spacious interiors. Though the shape is hate it or love it, I was okay with the shape. My wife has said next car should have rear AC Vents and have a good ground clearance. Usually on the long drives, My wife and son sit at the back seat and they feel suffocated and they need some air flow at the back.
I own a Swift Dzire and when it is fully loaded the rear bottom scrapes and my wife gets irritates when that happen.
Two months back I have read in autoevolution that they are already testing 2016 S-Cross which has uncanny resemblance of BMW X1 or X3

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...me-99353.html#

Iam planning to buy car this year end or early next year and will wait a whole year for other launches and see how S-Cross fares. Also, I wish they put rear AC vents if at all they launch the facelift this year or next year.
engine_charan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 01:12   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Could you elaborate? I may have missed this piece.
http://www.carwale.com/marutisuzuki-...ews/45303.html

Read this user review. It's a deal breaker if not resolved on the latest cars. Should I go for a 2016 one for this reason? discounts are almost the same. 20kmax difference,if any.
anycatd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 10:07   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post

Read this user review. It's a deal breaker if not resolved on the latest cars. Should I go for a 2016 one for this reason? discounts are almost the same. 20kmax difference,if any.
He hasnt substantiated any of his observations with any facts or email extract etc.
There are almost 200 pages and multiple post and ownership reports for S cross and none, not even one post or person has reported any problem with the car. There are certain set of people who have even completed 10K Kms with their cars.
So rather than replying on a random post, i would rather suggest you to go through various ownership reports on S cross for good insights.
akshatmangal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 10:21   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Such reviews, even if genuine, are very rare. I will not be able to buy anything if I start believing in such reviews. Many review based sites have nothing but just rants on any product that we wish to check.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 15:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

Got a message from my RM stating that the price reduction is because 1.6 engine and gearbox are majorly localized now. Can anyone verify this claim ? Is it true ?
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 15:55   #126
BHPian

The S Cross 1.6 is looking very VFM now, in comparison to the Creta. Top variant S-Cross 1.6 is just a few thousands more than the base model 1.6 Creta here.

Feeling very tempted to take a real good look at the Cross.
TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 16:10   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As mentioned by other bhp'ians, I would rather believe the t-bhp reviews more.

Try for more discounts as the new prices are cheaper. For 20K, I would pick a 2016 model rather.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 16:18   #128
BHPian

But will maruti apply some cost cutting measures on the 2016 cars?
The tyres atleast need to be from other brand. JK tyres on a top of the line model doesn't justify the prices being paid even after price reductions. It would not have costed maruti much to upgrade it. Significant performance improvements have been reported by owners who upgraded. Those alloys needed a bit of detailing in black to suit the car.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2016 at 07:39. Reason: Typos
anycatd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 18:34   #129
BHPian

Post Re: Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Got a message from my RM stating that the price reduction is because 1.6 engine and gearbox are majorly localized now. Can anyone verify this claim ? Is it true ?
If true, that should mean Fiat has started manufacturing the 1.6MJD locally. Would they do that unless they have their own products in the pipeline, which are to be mated to the 1.6MJD?
God, how I wish if they launched the Linea 1.6MJD this year!!
Or, may be it is for the Egea.
vpillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 19:39   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt the truth in this statement for the following reasons:
  1. The prices of 1.3 also have been slashed.
  2. If Maruti would have seen this coming (which they should have since it was this close after launch), they should have absorbed the initial losses and priced it competitively during launch. Maruti surely know slashing prices by this much leads to bad reputation.
  3. Maruti is trying to crack the premium segment. They surely know that they cannot afford to be complacent with a premium product and get away like they do for compact cars.

Truth (according to me) is they tried to play the Hyundai game with their Nexa brand, which badly backfired. See how they corrected their mistake with Baleno pricing. And see, no price hikes on the Baleno!
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 00:57   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
If true, that should mean Fiat has started manufacturing the 1.6MJD locally. Would they do that unless they have their own products in the pipeline, which are to be mated to the 1.6MJD? ...
Need not be. The 1.3 MJD is NOT solely manufactured by Fiat; Maruti manufactures themselves under the contract from Fiat. It's better for Fiat to give the license for 1.6 MJD to Maruti so that they can benefit from the royalty. Making good engines is one thing, tuning it beautifully to extract the best out of it is another. Fiat is good about the former and a serious dud in latter.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 01:39   #132
Senior - BHPian

Default Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!

When Fiat's total monthly sales are in few hundreds that too after so mouthwatering discounts, why will they spend crores on an engine which won't guarantee them any sales worth the effort.
But Yes, they need to launch it with their next big offering. At the same time we have so much discussions about downsizing of Engines, smaller cars for less environmental effect. So its a tricky area.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:51   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is not true. they have plans on localization but that is when Vitara is launched.

Here is the exact reason from Mr. Kalsi -Executive Director, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, on the price correction,

Quote:
In India, the customer compares price to value proposition. The gap between prices of the 1.3-litre variant and 1.6-litre variant was perceived to be high by the customer, hence we have done price correction in line with market expectation
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...rs-399796.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd January 2016 at 19:53.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 20:00   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is not true. they have plans on localization but that is when Vitara is launched.

Here is the exact reason from Mr. Kalsi -Executive Director, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, on the price correction,

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...rs-399796.aspx
In this, i am going to visit the showroom tomorrow and meet the Sales Manager there.
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 13:38   #135

Wish I had waited for a couple of months.. Never saw this coming, the 1.6 seems to priced really well to make into lists of people wanting to buy a crossover/compact SUV. This car went straight out of my list just because it was not in my budget and I ended up buying the DUSTER 110 Explore Edition.
kanna.sridharan is offline   Reply With Quote