Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th February 2017, 11:03   #286
BHPian

Default re: Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
For lesser variants though (SV and V), what exactly is the upgrade? The 10mm GC increase is useful though.
Strongly hoping the biggest upgrade would be the most criticized bit for the last version(i.e. build quality). City always had an aspirational value in India and hope HONDA gets it back to that spot this time around. They already have the wonderful petrol engine, and with market dynamics shifting towards petrol healthy sales can be expected from petrol model.

And yeah please price it well HONDA. Atleast introductory pricing should be realistic
Old 7th February 2017, 11:09   #287
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
As a three year user of 2014 Honda city i would say the biggest gripe i have with the car is the low speed ride quality over broken patches. The car just transmits everything to your bum, for less than perfect tarmac. I feel none of the reviews talk about this facet of the car, which becomes apparent only once you start using it on a day to day to basis. I hope Honda has changed the spring ratings for the update. If yes i would be first in line to get them replaced on my city.

All said and done it is the 1.5 ivtech that shines in this car. And with the slick shifting manual it becomes a joy to use. With some practice you can manage sub 10 sec 0-100 kmph runs. ( I don't promote rash driving. I do these acceleration runs only when it is safe for me/others and legal ). In a recent test done by autocar Narian Karthikeyan got the best lap times from City this side of 20 Lakhs. Beating the likes of Abarth Punto and Polo TSI. Even with this potent performance potential it gives you excellent fuel efficiency and drive ability. Hats of to the Japanese nerds who designed this engine.
Stiffer suspension setup would always result in better handling and stability but with a tradeoff in ride quality. I noticed the same thing coming from my old Baleno to the City. One thing which seems different is the torque steer during strong acceleration. Though the old Baleno had great acceleration too, the torque steer seemed to be much less. It kept a straight line while accelerating while in the City I feel the need to hold the steering to prevent the torque steer. I do plenty of outright acceleration runs so I've grown accustomed to this though it's not ideal.
Old 8th February 2017, 12:28   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

More TD cars are reaching Honda showrooms and stockyards.

Name:  16473827_1000478956751799_2507390670316293632_n.jpg
Views: 3716
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  16649480_1319259088153988_5003833698688443895_n.jpg
Views: 3673
Size:  63.5 KB

From Facebook.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 12:35   #289
BHPian

Look at the condition of the stock in the background. The soot/dust layer must be acting as a natural protection from Sun.

On a different note, considering the ease in changing a flat tyre, the new alloys seem a bit unfriendly, grip wise. I have this habit of gripping the alloys, rather than touching the rubber, while pulling the tyre out, as well as placing it back on 4 nuts. The 4 spoke design was the easiest to grip.
Old 8th February 2017, 14:37   #290
BHPian

How strong is the body of the new Honda?
From what I understand, the 2013+ models compromised on the body (thickness and strength) to save space and weight. It kind of makes the airbags redundant and worse.
Old 8th February 2017, 15:03   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
From what I understand, the 2013+ models compromised on the body (thickness and strength) to save space and weight. It kind of makes the airbags redundant and worse.
That would be pure speculation till the Indian cars are actually tested!
We can't really deduct how well built a car is by just touching or feeling it or even comparing it to an older version!
It depends on how well the whole structure responds during a crash.

And bad shell or not, airbags can only make things better!

I'm happy to finally see a honda that is well kitted and loaded to the brim even in terms of safety! Competition is wonderful!
Old 8th February 2017, 15:03   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How did you measure the thickness and strength of the body ? Its not the parts that you feel that add strength and safety. Its the structure beneath those parts. I am sorry but your understanding is not right.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 16:06   #293
BHPian

Quote:
From what I understand, the 2013+ models compromised ...
To be precise, the 2013+ model City body structure is 24% stronger/stiffer due to the use of lighter but stronger steel/alloy compared to the previous model (2012 and before)
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 16:09   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Stiffer suspension setup would always result in better handling and stability but with a tradeoff in ride quality. I noticed the same thing coming from my old Baleno to the City. One thing which seems different is the torque steer during strong acceleration. Though the old Baleno had great acceleration too, the torque steer seemed to be much less. It kept a straight line while accelerating while in the City I feel the need to hold the steering to prevent the torque steer. I do plenty of outright acceleration runs so I've grown accustomed to this though it's not ideal.
I have also experienced the torque steer you are talking about. Not a big deal though. I so wish the city had the suspension like Fiat Linea ( especially the pre 2012 ). It seems to have everything great handling and at the same time great ride quality.
Old 8th February 2017, 16:12   #295
BHPian

Have they made any changes to the manual gear stick? The old one looked too thin for a premium sedan.

Pradeep
Old 8th February 2017, 17:25   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I have also experienced the torque steer you are talking about. Not a big deal though. I so wish the city had the suspension like Fiat Linea ( especially the pre 2012 ). It seems to have everything great handling and at the same time great ride quality.
I got the coil spring buffers fitted on all 4 shock abs on my 2010 Honda City with amazing results. The car stopped scrapping each and every speed breaker in town and the ride was satisfactorily stiffer and better in my potholed city. Sitting in the rear bench gave me the feeling of sitting in a German Car.
I bought Kashyap Branded ones, but had a tough time getting those fitted by myself. Had to go to a mechanic, who too found it difficult and charged me 1500 Rs. I would recommend, using the Rogerabs or any other brand's nominated dealer shop and their fitting person, incase someone want's to get them fitted.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-27.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)

Last edited by riteshritesh : 8th February 2017 at 17:26.
Old 8th February 2017, 17:50   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I got the coil spring buffers fitted on all 4 shock abs on my 2010 Honda City with amazing results. The car stopped scrapping each and every speed breaker in town and the ride was satisfactorily stiffer and better in my potholed city. Sitting in the rear bench gave me the feeling of sitting in a German Car.
I bought Kashyap Branded ones, but had a tough time getting those fitted by myself. Had to go to a mechanic, who too found it difficult and charged me 1500 Rs. I would recommend, using the Rogerabs or any other brand's nominated dealer shop and their fitting person, incase someone want's to get them fitted.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-27.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)

I thought about these. But they seem to reduce bounciness, increase ground clearance and make the suspension stiffer. The 2014 City has none of these problems. Thew 2014 is not bouncy and rides rather flat especially on highway speeds. It clears most speed breakers, hence ground clearance is not a problem either. The main issue is 2014 city has very stiff suspension especially at low speeds. So when ambling around in city over potholed/rutted roads makes life very uncomfortable for the passengers. I think these coil spring buffers will just make the suspension even harder exacerbating the problem.
JediKnight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 19:32   #298

I think the stiffer suspension is producing more rattles in the City than Honda intended to introduce
Old 10th February 2017, 00:22   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

DRLs don't look that effective during the day. Maybe a better pic would make things more clearer.

Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs-city1.jpg

TD car at a South Indian Honda dealership. Interesting motif painted on the bottom side of the doors.

Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs-city2.jpg

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  41.3 KB

From Facebook.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th February 2017 at 00:24.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 00:22   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Soft touch dashboard, better infotainment system, LED lights, six airbags are all very very welcome addition indeed.
New City 2017 definitely looks more masculine with the new grille. Hope Honda's cash registers start ringing again. Honda definitely had good products but with bad pricing, hope they do not make the mistake again this time.

I am particularly interested in the new infotainment system. I would be more than happy, if I can switch my current Jazz Infotainment system with the 2017 City's, is there a possibility?
itzvicky201 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread