Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st November 2016, 19:54   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Honda working on City Facelift - Coming in 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The Current city is the best City ever made. I think these issues with quality are being blown out of proportion. In fact the current one has be hugely successful. The Ciaz is cheaper and offers a lot of what the City offers and hence it has won on Price Price and Price. Being newer to the market also helps. The Brio and Amaze had terrible dashboards and it was almost a must to change. Anyone and everyone complained about the shape of the thing (also they were market Duds in many ways) . Remember the dashboard redesign allowed them to change it in 4 different products simultaneously and hence the costs were divided over 4 cars (amaze, brio, mobilio and BRV).
The City being the best ever and the quality issues discussion do not belong here! This is merely about the facelift, and I, for one, do believe that Honda would make more money by fixing it's product and selling it, rather than letting it's competitors take it's market share!

Regarding the cost, sure the dash change in the Brio platform was divided with 4 cars. Cumulative sales of the cars based on Brio platform is ~6200 units for September. Cumilative sales of the cars on City platform is ~8000 units, and 5800 of those were Honda Citys. I don't know why it wouldn't make sense to invest a lot in the City facelift!
esoticoreventon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 20:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
No other City has had so many complaints, and so Honda may just be getting rid of the 4th gen City image fully and focus on getting the top spot in sales again.
Yes, there are a lot of complaints made about the New City. But what about the previous version city? Were the complaints less because TBHP members were less or are there any specific statistics to show that. One statistic I can find is in the link below. The Skoda Rapid scores higher than the previous version City.

http://india.jdpower.com/press-relea...lity-study-vds

But that doesn't mean Skoda Rapid is a perfect vehicle. There were still 100 cars reporting some sort of dependability problems. Now, the authenticity of this survey can be questioned. But where do we have other statistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The Current city is the best City ever made. I think these issues with quality are being blown out of proportion. In fact the current one has be hugely successful. The Ciaz is cheaper and offers a lot of what the City offers and hence it has won on Price Price and Price.
Is it the best city ever made? May be on certain parameters. But considering the cost cutting going across the world in almost every industry, we really don't know what has actually happened. And this is true for every car probably excluding the top end versions of Benz, BMW, Audi, Rolls Royce etc. The world is crazy about profit now.

What was said about Ciaz is correct. Apart from the price, the Maruti brand has a lot of importance in India. Personally, not with me though. I spend around 35K for my Wagon R on repairs (shaft, clutch etc) for a driving of just under 30K kilometers. I don't think I would buy Maruti again.

Note: I own the latest Petrol CVT City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
The City being the best ever and the quality issues discussion do not belong here! This is merely about the facelift, and I, for one, do believe that Honda would make more money by fixing it's product and selling it, rather than letting it's competitors take it's market share!
Are we sure that the newer version of the city going to have lesser niggles? It all again depends on the Honda corporate decision. Unless and until our country does have stricter safety regulations, this is going to continue. Cosmetic changes does not ensure quality, correct?

Last edited by adarsh76 : 1st November 2016 at 20:34.
adarsh76 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 10:45   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

CarDekho sources claim that Honda Cars India will be launching the City facelift by mid-January 2017.

The mid-life facelifted City might see changes in the form of projector headlamps up front, new alloy wheels, an infotainment system supporting both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and/or LED tail lamps.

Engine-wise, the 2017 City is expected to continue with the same 1.5L i-VTEC and the 1.5L i-DTEC mills, with the i-VTEC now paired to a 6-speed manual transmission, besides the existing CVT.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 18:40   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more info on the 2017 Honda City facelift:

Quote:
While the City facelift will bear resemblance to the current one, it will get a new Accord-like nose and chin, with a thick chrome band running across the grille. Sitting below that will be a new bumper, with a more prominent air dam and larger fog lamp housings. The headlights will be new too and get projector units. Moving to the rear, the City facelift will get a redesigned bumper and re-profiled tail-lamps as well.

A major equipment upgrade will be the new infotainment system with Android Auto and a mobile mirror feature. This system is being co-developed with Blaupunkt. Top-spec cars will get six airbags as standard, along with leather seats and a soft-touch dashboard.
Autocar India
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 20:02   #50
BHPian

6 airbags would be a welcome addition. Hope they take care of puny tyres and NVH levels too.
Simhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 21:59   #51
BHPian

These changes will help the City retain its leadership. But Honda should make sure not to price it exorbitantly, which it is known for. The Ciaz is a good 2 lakhs cheaper & with New Verna arriving Next Year, Honda better price thier Best Selling Car well. This will be the determining thing for its success in future.

Honda, that Fantastic 1.5 iVTEC engine needs 6th Gear, I hope you make this change. Many have reported the same. Like many have mentioned, improved noise insulation would be a welcome change.
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote