Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2017, 14:01   #196
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is the zuki Jimny slated to come to India? This renegade really looks the part... And trust fiat to bring this in to shake the market up... All over again!

Top of my list for a single guy/nuclear family who want to explore.
+1 that this should be top of the list for single guys. I myself being one, am eagerly waiting for this one, but looks like it will be at least a year before it gets launched :(
arit.mondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 18:02   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 1,509 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

The Renegade may just be the 4x4 offroader which can replace the Gypsy well as it has a short wheelbase and a good engine. Let's hope Jeep is able to price it under 12 lacs when they launch.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 18:30   #198
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: KA-09
Posts: 336
Thanked: 337 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Renegade looks like the perfect little brother of Wrangler. This is what Thar should have been like instead of being a bare bones off roader.
octane_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 20:19   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 109
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Renegade looks like the perfect little brother of Wrangler. This is what Thar should have been like instead of being a bare bones off roader.
I agree; The Thar's 'classic' looks combined with the 'creature' comforts of the Renegade would be a runaway success. Especially with those who are not really hard core off road enthusiasts.

Anyway, M&M still have an opportunity to make amends when the next gen Thar is launched in the near future.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that the Mahindra in-house design team don't make a porridge like it happened with the TUV300.
Zezé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 21:44   #200
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Rumor - Jeep renegade to launch at 10lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
At that price, I wonder what the engine lineup will look like? 1.3 90hp diesel and 1.4 110hp TJet for the base variants?

Unless they have plans to localize the 1.6 diesel, I don't see the Renegade getting priced so low down without a major compromise on engines.
90HP could make this car a slouch since it weighs almost 1600kg. It needs all the power and torque provided in western markets to make it a good off roader and highway cruiser.

Also came across with this disturbing review on paint quality of Jeep while browsing reviews:
arit.mondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 21:55   #201
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,419
Thanked: 2,066 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Renegade will basically fight it out with the upcoming Suzuki Jimny/Gypsy for fancy of the youth and mod friendly off-road vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is the zuki Jimny slated to come to India? This renegade really looks the part... And trust fiat to bring this in to shake the market up... All over again!

Top of my list for a single guy/nuclear family who want to explore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
+1 that this should be top of the list for single guys. I myself being one, am eagerly waiting for this one, but looks like it will be at least a year before it gets launched :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Renegade may just be the 4x4 offroader which can replace the Gypsy well as it has a short wheelbase and a good engine. Let's hope Jeep is able to price it under 12 lacs when they launch.
Reg: Jimny - we have been hearing this for a long long time now. Makes me think, MUL isn't really bothered about it. They brought in the Brezza which is giving them volumes. Whats in Jimny that they would take the trouble of getting it approved through our country's red tape.

Reg: Renegade - Only one concern - hope they bring in the TH. Otherwise, it's gonna be difficult to take on competition. With the Trail Hawk they will have the USP of a capable off-roader.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 23:02   #202
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Reg: Jimny - we have been hearing this for a long long time now. Makes me think, MUL isn't really bothered about it. They brought in the Brezza which is giving them volumes. Whats in Jimny that they would take the trouble of getting it approved through our country's red tape.
I don't think Jimny will sell much in India, pure-offroaders have very limited market potential. Maruti knows it and hence they haven't shown any intent to bring it here either. In fact, if Maruti really wants, it makes more sense for them to launch a version of Gypsy rather than bring in a new model.

In the foreseeable future (next two years), I see only Renegade being launched among capable C-SUVs and thankfully Jeep had been doing lot of testing on Indian roads for a long time now. It has a very youthful design, good interiors (Duster is worst in this dept), best in class off-road capability for occasional weekend tours, enough grunt for highway cruising and Jeep branding all under 14lacs. Should be a hit among urban youths. Someone earlier predicted a March '18 launch, hope it's true.
arit.mondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 15:04   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,419
Thanked: 2,066 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
It has a very youthful design, good interiors (Duster is worst in this dept), best in class off-road capability for occasional weekend tours, enough grunt for highway cruising and Jeep branding all under 14lacs.
My guess, we *may* get the Sports 2wd at 14, something like the compass, and the trail rated (if it comes, *IF*) at 18 or 20 even! Who knows what's cooking at Jeep.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 17:19   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 30
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
I don't think Jimny will sell much in India, pure-offroaders have very limited market potential. Maruti knows it and hence they haven't shown any intent to bring it here either. In fact, if Maruti really wants, it makes more sense for them to launch a version of Gypsy rather than bring in a new model.
It seems that Jimny never made it in India till date as it was not manufactured in India. But, this time rumors are that it will be manufactured in India and exported. So, i am hoping they will sell it here as well. Just waiting for it
karthikd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 18:54   #205
BHPian
 
Hickstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 92
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

After going through the interesting pricing of Compass, Can we expect JEEP to price Renegade under cutting Creta with a starting price of base petrol around 9.99 L :-) ?
Hickstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 18:58   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
After going through the interesting pricing of Compass, Can we expect JEEP to price Renegade under cutting Creta with a starting price of base petrol around 9.99 L :-) ?
I feel the Compass is already based on the Renegade & The Renegade itself is a pretty premium offering. At least in the EU etc. So the price you mentioned is quite optimistic & will devalue the JEEP brand. They shouldn't bring it so low if they want to maintain their brand's status. Its a very tough juggling job.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 19:07   #207
BHPian
 
Hickstead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 92
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
So the price you mentioned is quite optimistic & will devalue the JEEP brand. They shouldn't bring it so low if they want to maintain their brand's status. Its a very tough juggling job.
I do agree that my expectation is quite optimistic . But I wish JEEP should target Ecosport/Brezza/Nexon customers with base variants of Renegade and Creta with higher variants. The reason for my expectation is that the vehicle is looking very cramped and I am not sure whether our market accepts this vehicle being priced above 15L.
Hickstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 19:17   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
I do agree that my expectation is quite optimistic . But I wish JEEP should target Ecosport/Brezza/Nexon customers with base variants of Renegade and Creta with higher variants. The reason for my expectation is that the vehicle is looking very cramped and I am not sure whether our market accepts this vehicle being priced above 15L.
I don't think they should target these customers at all. Thats the point. Its like saying Jaguar should have a base model that targets customers of the Elantra or Civic.

Ecosport, Brezza, Nexon are Economy grade / mass market cars. Jeep is a premium brand. One mistake of incorrectly placing the brand in a segment has ripple effects on the brand value that affect their costly products also. Check Tata HEXA. Its a premium product, but nobody accepts the premium-ness as it is from an economy brand.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th August 2017 at 19:22.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 20:26   #209
BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 652
Thanked: 372 Times
Default

Are the Renegade and the Compass based on the same platform? Sometimes it's a little confusing to make out how manufacturers derive the platforms! For example, is the Jeep Compass that is sold in the U.S based on a Fiat XL platform or is it completely different from the one being made in India and being exported to all RHD markets?

I'm just trying to understand what kind of quality levels we can expect in the Renegade. The Compass is surely very well built and has fit and finish that is at par with one or 2 segments above.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 23:06   #210
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Bombay
Posts: 135
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

I saw the Renegade on a recent trip. It looks really awkward. It is small-ish, looked like it was created on a budget, and appeared more Mahindra than Jeep. Or, in one word, uncool. I don't think it is going to appeal to many here.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biker Show at Renegade biker outlet - Houston, TX shrini78 The Team-BHP Meet Section 0 17th March 2010 06:43
Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 1282 5th January 2010 15:42
PIC: Honda Civic Spied Testing iraghava The Indian Car Scene 45 10th April 2006 23:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks