Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2016, 15:40   #16
BHPian
 
21Archer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cubic Capacity
Posts: 265
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Apologies for the poor quality of the pics, but here are some more shots of the Wrangler. But still 20 lakhs might be a bit too much.
I hope you meant Renegade. As I said some time ago, if this car gets to launch in India should start around 13-14L and can go high upto 18-19L. The reason being the upcoming CSUV , which is expected to be priced around 15L.
With none of the interiors being covered, from the images , I believe it is this car that's being tested and may not be a mule for the CSUV . It could be the engine that's undergoing testing.
21Archer84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 17:45   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 191
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

Some more pics of the test mule
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-1455970387290.jpg  

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-1455970421001.jpg  

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-1455970465291.jpg  

Jeep Renegade spied testing in India-1455970514190.jpg  

duke is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 20:45   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,523
Thanked: 893 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

I saw the Renegade on road a couple of days back. I think it's a cute little SUV - with emphasis on the word "little".

In terms of pricing, I think it will have a chance of success if priced in the 15-20L range. If priced in the 20-25L range, I think most of the car buying public would ignore it. However, some of those who can afford to buy a 30L FWD Mercedes GLA, for eg., might want to put money on a 25L 4WD Jeep instead.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 06:55   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,694
Thanked: 4,637 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

I saw this last week in Dubai.

If this comes in here with 4WD and all the requisite bells and whistles as earlier mentioned, then for sure this will be a worthy contender for my next upgrade.

Saying that if Fiat is going to be handling the service and so on, I do get a bit worried...
Attached Images
  
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 09:44   #20
BHPian
 
21Archer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cubic Capacity
Posts: 265
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Saying that if Fiat is going to be handling the service and so on, I do get a bit worried...
Jeep will have exclusive dealerships, atleast in the major cities initially and they will never launch a Jeep without a 4wd variant. So you can start saving to get this one, if it ever launches.
21Archer84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 06:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,694
Thanked: 4,637 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Jeep will have exclusive dealerships, atleast in the major cities initially and they will never launch a Jeep without a 4wd variant. So you can start saving to get this one, if it ever launches.
About them never launching without 4WD I don't think that is correct information.
Because Ive seen many Jeep Cherokee vehicles which come in only 2WD - these are usually bought by soft road users and by rental car companies in my experience in the US.

If you want 4WD it comes at a price in the upper variants.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 07:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 3,445 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
About them never launching without 4WD I don't think that is correct information.
Because Ive seen many Jeep Cherokee vehicles which come in only 2WD - these are usually bought by soft road users and by rental car companies in my experience in the US.

If you want 4WD it comes at a price in the upper variants.
Isnt that the case with most manufacturers. The 4WD variant comes in the mid and higher variants. Nothing wrong If Jeep also follows the same. When people can buy FWD pseudo SUVs, a proper RWD SUV would do better any day.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 07:27   #23
BHPian
 
21Archer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cubic Capacity
Posts: 265
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
About them never launching without 4WD I don't think that is correct information.
Because Ive seen many Jeep Cherokee vehicles which come in only 2WD - these are usually bought by soft road users and by rental car companies in my experience in the US.

If you want 4WD it comes at a price in the upper variants.
I'm sorry if I misled you, that's exactly what I meant. I wanted to say that there would be a 4wd car from Jeep , but may not be at all trim levels.
21Archer84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:44   #24
BHPian
 
cbatrody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 87
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
if this car gets to launch in India should start around 13-14L and can go high upto 18-19L.
Good if they price it around 13-14L. However, I would say this would be an ambitious number. The top of the range “Limited Plus” costs around 120,000 AED here in the UAE. If we convert that into INR with a multiplier of 18.5, it becomes 22,20,000 & this price is without any added Tax. I am sure the prices would go even further up after adding the necessary taxes. The starting price for the entry level version is 86,000 AED.
cbatrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:38   #25
BHPian
 
21Archer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cubic Capacity
Posts: 265
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Good if they price it around 13-14L. However, I would say this would be an ambitious number. The top of the range “Limited Plus” costs around 120,000 AED here in the UAE. If we convert that into INR with a multiplier of 18.5, it becomes 22,20,000 & this price is without any added Tax. I am sure the prices would go even further up after adding the necessary taxes. The starting price for the entry level version is 86,000 AED.
I assume that's probably because the car is imported, though, I assume, there may not be any import duties. But for India, the car should probably be localized to price competitively. I don't think it will be a mass market car if priced around 25L, even for the Trailhawk. It could go the Yeti way, as I mentioned earlier. Wish to be proved wrong.
21Archer84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:08   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,694
Thanked: 4,637 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
I assume that's probably because the car is imported, though, I assume, there may not be any import duties. But for India, the car should probably be localized to price competitively. I don't think it will be a mass market car if priced around 25L, even for the Trailhawk. It could go the Yeti way, as I mentioned earlier. Wish to be proved wrong.
If the Renegade with all the Bells and Whistles - "Trailhawk" version ends up being priced around 25 L to 30L on road Bangalore, then I still would not mind considering it since it is a real Jeep. This kind of pricing is to be expected and perhaps even a bit more because considering the Yeti itself, it is almost 30 lacs today on road in Bangalore.

But very frankly, the prospect of owning a Renegade is certainly more exciting that considering an Audi Q3/Q2, BMW XI, Merc GLA etc. None of these Quasi Off Roaders (to me at least) have the same appeal as the Jeep Renegade.

Saying that if they are able to keep the pricing competitive on account of local content etc, I would be quite pleased indeed.

And I may say, even if the Jeep Renegade "goes the Yeti way", I still would not mind too much, because I own a Yeti and am happy with it. If the rest of the world cannot appreciate the vehicle for what it is then thats just too bad.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:28   #27
BHPian
 
21Archer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cubic Capacity
Posts: 265
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

And I may say, even if the Jeep Renegade "goes the Yeti way", I still would not mind too much, because I own a Yeti and am happy with it. If the rest of the world cannot appreciate the vehicle for what it is then thats just too bad.
Agree with you. However, considering its price range in US and the upcoming Jeep, I still don't feel it'll be priced that high unless it's a CBU. I would love to see the Jeeps selling on Indian roads.They've come along way, from being a true offroading vehicles to proving comfortable ride with its DNA intact. India lacks such quality or passionate products from OEMs. I'm sure we'll see a lot of Jeeps on Indian roads in a couple of years.
21Archer84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:31   #28
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,780 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Sorry to say, but the Renegade looks very ugly. Its small, squat, disproportionate and has got a ugly slatted grill up front. It looks like one of the child pedal toys made in China.
In fact this car is bound to make the TUV look butch and macho...
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:41   #29
BHPian
 
21Archer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cubic Capacity
Posts: 265
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Sorry to say, but the Renegade looks very ugly. Its small, squat, disproportionate and has got a ugly slatted grill up front. It looks like one of the child pedal toys made in China.
In fact this car is bound to make the TUV look butch and macho...
Everyone has their own taste brother. You have the freedom to express. If you remember, when the Cherokee was displayed/launched a couple of years ago, there were mixed reactions. Infact most people disliked it. But if you see the numbers, it's one of the highest selling Jeeps. Even the so called ugliest car, Pontiac Aztek was bought by public. Sometimes its the functionality that matters over looks.

If your words were to be true, Not sure if just the butchy looks of a stationary TUV would satisfy public, while the little Jeep is conquering tough terrains/trails.
21Archer84 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:10   #30
BHPian
 
cbatrody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 87
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Jeep Renegade spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Everyone has their own taste brother. You have the freedom to express. If you remember, when the Cherokee was displayed/launched a couple of years ago, there were mixed reactions. Infact most people disliked it. But if you see the numbers, it's one of the highest selling Jeeps. Even the so called ugliest car, Pontiac Aztek was bought by public. Sometimes its the functionality that matters over looks.

If your words were to be true, Not sure if just the butchy looks of a stationary TUV would satisfy public, while the little Jeep is conquering tough terrains/trails.
+1,
Butch looks of a car won't save you during tough maneuvers or difficult situations. When you say butch I guess it’s only the looks that you meant, not the safety rating (NHTSA / Euro NCAP) or performance. Renegade has received a NHTSA 4 STAR rating in “Frontal Crash Test” and Overall safety.

Name:  NHTSA.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  21.6 KB

I would also like to add some of the other safety specs that this car has:

The 2016 Jeep Renegade comes standard with antilock brakes, traction and stability control, driver knee airbag, front side airbags, side curtain airbags and hill start assist. A rearview camera is optional for the Sport and standard on all other trims. Two safety-oriented packages are available that add a blind spot monitoring system, a rear cross-path alert system, a lane departure warning system, lane keeping assist, a frontal collision warning system and rear parking sensors. Other safety options include Selec-Terrain (TM) Sys w/Rock Mode, Electronic Stability Control, Sentry Key ® Theft Deterrent System, Speed Sensitive Power Locks, Child Seat Upper Tether Anchorages, Electric Park Brake & Advanced Brake Assist.

Uconnect Access uses embedded cellular technology to provide emergency and roadside assistance, remote door locking and stolen vehicle location services.

Active Drive & Active Drive Low:
Name:  Active Drive.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  145.4 KB

Hill Descent Control:
Name:  Hill Descent Control.jpg
Views: 1698
Size:  85.0 KB

Select Terrain: You have the option to choose the terrain that you are driving on:
Name:  Select Terrain.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  88.1 KB

And the Trailhawk, its made for real off-road enthusiasts with the following off-road features:

Off-road DNA:
Name:  off road DNA.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  155.7 KB

Extreme 4x4:
Name:  Extreme 4x4.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  74.7 KB

Trailhawk:
Name:  Trailhawk.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  70.8 KB

Source: Jeep UAE website
cbatrody is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biker Show at Renegade biker outlet - Houston, TX shrini78 The Team-BHP Meet Section 0 17th March 2010 06:43
Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 1282 5th January 2010 15:42
PIC: Honda Civic Spied Testing iraghava The Indian Car Scene 45 10th April 2006 23:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks