Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 16:02   #106
BHPian
 
vvb8530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 210
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
A blank statement, if you were to find one!

So, if you are an enthusiast and also want to drive with the family - you still insist on having 2 Punto Abarths so that the family can move together?

I am a car enthusiast and I mostly drive the Innova and I simply love driving it. I love it so much that I have driven 112983 kms in the 42 months, I have owned it. By the way, if you love handling - Innova is a better handling automobile than almost half the cars in our market. And in my opinion you should be more of an enthusiast if caught driving an Innova than any 4X2 Safari, Storme, Scorpio, Fortuner, XUV etc.

I haven't got the time to pen an ownership review a) because I am busy driving b) what do I report? - the car as is as it is the first day I drove it. I do maintain a log of service expenses. You would get bored with that too, because the service costs repeat themselves in intervals.
Absolutely agree with you there. Car enthusiast's may not necessarily be only people who like bigger engines and good looking cars, a person buying a car for practicality or because it suits his/her requirement can also be a car enthusiast who would appreciate what the Innova has to offer even in terms of its driving dynamics.

Coming to the point of less number of ownership reports on the innova, well people write ownership reports to give others specially future owners an idea about their experience with owning that car, using it everyday, the after sales experience, service costs, etc. Innova is such a consistent product that you already know all about it. I have never come across any innova ownership even outside of the forum where someone had a bad delivery experience or was sold a lemon or where someone had a bad after sales experience with respect to cost of parts, cost of service or any kind of issues at the service center at all. As rrsteer also mentioned even the service expenses are more or less consistent in every case so what do you write about. Lesser said the better about the Innova.

P.S.: I am no Innova fan boy, my father is on his 3rd Innova and looking forward to the 4th with an AT box. He swears by it and prefers driving and being driven around in it even if there is an option of using an S class. Although I hate the image that the Innova carries and would not be caught dead driving one wearing a white shirt , but if I plan a long drive out of town with a couple of friends I always end up borrowing the Innova from my father and the pleasure that it is to drive around and its practicality leaves me amazed every time even after so many years. Take it anywhere, drive it however and stuff it with whatever no issues. It has always been a big hit even with my friends as a result I have a brand new Octavia 1.8 in which I have barely done 2.5k kms in the past 6 months as I never get to take it out of town because of the Innova.

VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 17:51   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

To all the people enjoying been driven in an Innova, do you refer to the 7 seater captain seats or 8 seater bench seats version. From my owning the 8 seater version and been driven around on partially bad roads in Mumbai, it is a nightmare sitting in the middle row. If I had motion sickness, I would throw up everytime, with the amount of rolling I experience on uneven surfaces. I have to catch the overhead handle to feel comfortable. But then again, my driver is an idiot who drives at 25-40 kmph on bad roads.
And not to mention the sad fuel economy that the Diesel Innova returns.

Good thing is my realisation that I don't require a Diesel vehicle anymore and 7 seater options in Petrol make me lean towards the Ertiga/Mobilio/BRV as a replacement.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 18:18   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Imo, Innova owners are not enthusiasts. That's why not much ownership reports in this forum.
An Innova would not give you exceptional pick up nor you would be able drive it at insane speeds.

I drive to Kerala atleast 3 - 4 times in an year and had been driving following vehicles - Ikon, City VTec 2nd Gen, Innova and Ecosport AT. Mine is a small family and at times parents joins us for the trips. With Ikon and City we reaches our destination faster but every one complaints of being tired after reaching the destination. But I have never heard that complaint with the Innova and family asks me to take the Innova when we drive.

Well, I may not be an enthusiast, my family may comprise of non enthusiasts. That could be the reason why we still like to use the Innova even though it is about 7 years old.

Some things we like about Innova include

Moves and behaves like a car. Though the vehicle looks big, it is very easy to drive it in the city traffic, it gives a sedan like driving pleasure even in congested Bangalore traffic. The steering wheel feedback is also very good

Rear seat comfort, I see wife and kid sleeping at the back seat during the long drives (8 seater)

Quality and Reliability



Will I buy a Crysta ?

Not looking for changing the car (or Van as some may call it) in the immediate future. A Toyota vehicle, preferably a MUV/SUV would be my first preference, primarily because of the trouble free ownership experience it has provided.

Well, as I said, I am not an enthusiast

Last edited by RSimonS : 19th February 2016 at 18:20.
RSimonS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 12:01   #109
BHPian
 
Shanksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Madras
Posts: 460
Thanked: 1,210 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Imo, Innova owners are not enthusiasts. That's why not much ownership reports in this forum.
I don't understand the basis of your statement or is just because there a lot of taxi Innovas.

But as an owner of an Innova and a big car nut. I can guarantee you that the big 2.5 under the hood making a measly 102hp puts a smile on my face everytime with its low end grunt and ease of tractability. The short gear ratios although a bit of an irritant on the highways, due to the noise levels at 3 digit speeds, are just perfect for the city. Also it's Rear Wheel Drive, ask any Innova owner, let go of the clutch a bit too quickly in 1st gear when driving normally and there's wheel spin.

The handling of the Innova can shame a lot of sedans. The steering is well weighted and precise. Well it has been stated time and again, but the ride comfort of the Innova is exceptional. Also the interiors are very user friendly.

The only reason I don't have a ownership report is because there is nothing much to add. As fellow BHP-ian Rrsteer pointed out same service bills. By the way 90k kms and still on stock brake shoes with 15k kms life left in them.

Lastly, drive a petrol Innova to know really what this MUV can do with a bit of extra horse power!!
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 15:39   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
A blank statement, if you were to find one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I don't understand the basis of your statement or is just because there a lot of taxi Innovas.
I didn't say that Innova is a bad vehicle. It is spacious, looks ok, is comfortable, handles ok, can accommodate 7, runs lakhs of KMs, costs low for service etc. But it doesn't have that "WOW" factor associated to it, IMO.

Enthusiasts usually (repeat - usually) don't go for the above kind of vehicle. They either need a stunner in terms of look, or a stonker of an engine, or a go-anywhere kind of vehicle. Even all the modern gizmos won't be in their list.

People talk (rather, write here) much about their special belongings, and keeps mum about the so-so items. As simple as that.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 20th February 2016 at 16:08.
romeomidhun is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 23:07   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Was going through the Auto Expo threads and stumbled upon this gem of a post, thought I kill some of my time with what I know about the Innova.

One thing I can tell you, you are wrong mate! Its always the ones who haven't experienced these cars have a problem with its handling and what not! Of all the MUVs that I have driven, the Innova has been best of the lot when it comes to dynamics. The RWD and the nimble yet small steering makes it so much on the ghats. The worst I have experienced was the Xylo, followed by the Ertiga closely matched with vague handling and dynamics. At least, the Xylo has space to seat 7 passengers at comfort.

And I dont get this logic, if I don't put up an ownership review for my car then I am not an enthusiast? But if I get a tin box with RS moniker and some cheesy stickers on it but voila I have an ownership thread, I become an enthusiast?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Are you saying that all such who drive Innova are taxi drivers? Or Innova is such a drivers' car that if you start it, you will keep on driving?

Imo, Innova owners are not enthusiasts. That's why not much ownership reports in this forum.
Quote:
I didn't say that Innova is a bad vehicle. It is spacious, looks ok, is comfortable, handles ok, can accommodate 7, runs lakhs of KMs, costs low for service etc. But it doesn't have that "WOW" factor associated to it, IMO.

Enthusiasts usually (repeat - usually) don't go for the above kind of vehicle. They either need a stunner in terms of look, or a stonker of an engine, or a go-anywhere kind of vehicle. Even all the modern gizmos won't be in their list.

People talk (rather, write here) much about their special belongings, and keeps mum about the so-so items. As simple as that.
anachronix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 14:50   #112
BHPian
 
KALINGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PUNE
Posts: 696
Thanked: 255 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Was going through the Auto Expo threads and stumbled upon this gem of a post, thought I kill some of my time with what I know about the Innova.

One thing I can tell you, you are wrong mate! Its always the ones who haven't experienced these cars have a problem with its handling and what not! Of all the MUVs that I have driven, the Innova has been best of the lot when it comes to dynamics. The RWD and the nimble yet small steering makes it so much on the ghats. The worst I have experienced was the Xylo, followed by the Ertiga closely matched with vague handling and dynamics. At least, the Xylo has space to seat 7 passengers at comfort.

And I dont get this logic, if I don't put up an ownership review for my car then I am not an enthusiast? But if I get a tin box with RS moniker and some cheesy stickers on it but voila I have an ownership thread, I become an enthusiast?!
I beg your pardon sir.

I am driving an Ertiga ZXi with stock tyres for last 2.5 yrs and already covered 43000 + KM.

Believe me handling is as good as Innova. I believe dynamics & handling definition is same for all (google search).
Traveled with various Road & Load condition, but never felt it poor in handling.

No offence to any MUV owner. Each have their own plus and minus.
If you compare Ertiga vs Xylo vs Innova. just for your information Ertiga is the cheapest in the lot. and Innova is the costliest.

Someone written earlier somewhere in comparison thread is a good explanation, in Ertiga one can get 90% of innova by paying 50% of innova price.

Last edited by KALINGA : 1st March 2016 at 14:56.
KALINGA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 15:50   #113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
I spoke to a few taxi owners as to why do they buy expensive innovas when they have cheaper alternatives these days. The top reason was that when the customers call, they don't ask for a 7-8 seater. They ask for INNOVA. This too is market driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
That's true. I ask for innovas too. Having said that, Innova clearly stands over other options like Enjoy, Xylo etc that some taxi guys try to palm off. The Renault however is the only 7 seater that matches Innova for comfort and in fact trumps it on its sheer ride quality. As a user of a taxi, I for one have no problems getting the Renault. As more people realise this, the market dynamic could change.
Innova is quite synonymous with the taxi MUVs - before the advent of OLAs and UBERs, the call taxi operators don't even understand a hatch or a sedan or a MUV, they only know Indica, Indigo, Innova.

Once I spoke to a Innova cab driver and he did mention that they will be out of business if they do not have Innova in their fleet - the other cheaper alternatives like Xylo, Tavera, Sumo, etc does not cut it with the customers who are seeking Innova - they will just cancel their booking or look for other operators. That's the power of Innova in taxi market, also the private buyers who look for a "comfortable" 7-seater will never look at any vehicles other than Innova, even though they have to shell out more from their pockets.

And he also mentioned that his Innova has "only" completed 3L Kms and he is hopeful of keeping it for another 3L Kms . But, you have to agree with him when he says that he has not spent much on the vehicle other than its regular maintenance - the huge reliability factor with Innova.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 23:24   #114
BHPian
 
geotracks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

We all agree about the bullet proof reliability of Toyota engines. With the new 2016 Innova, to keep cost down, many parts will be manufactured locally. Hope Toyota (India) is able to maintain quality. e.g. Owners of earlier Honda City speak of reliability of Honda cars. Newer Honda City owners have been giving less than perfect satisfaction scores. They all conclude, is it locally made Honda City parts (to keep costs down) contributing to quality issues?

So let's wait and watch the feedback on the new 2016 Innova. The feedback from SE Asian markets where it is already launched is positive. So hopefully Toyota will maintain quality when they demand premium on the top end 2016 Innovas being launched here.
geotracks is online now  
Old 1st March 2016, 23:47   #115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 104
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Any idea on the tentative launch date please?
bhanusrinivas is offline  
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:41   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanusrinivas View Post
Any idea on the tentative launch date please?
I was in a discussion with one of the service managers in a Toyota service centre and was informed that the production of existing version of Innova is stopped completely.
All old stocks are being cleared now and the Crysta is expected to be launched by May-1st.
anup7649 is offline  
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:33   #117
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default Scoop: Innova Crysta spotted in Bangalore

Just received these photos via WhatsApp. Credits to original uploader.

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-1.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-2.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-3.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-4.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd March 2016 at 10:34.
Parthasarathig is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:18   #118
BHPian
 
Avenger_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Dallas - Texas
Posts: 40
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

They look to have an excellent road presence, especially from front. Rear looks bit bulky though, loved the black one !!!
Avenger_123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:50   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 454
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Looks great, sales of fortuner are going to take a major major hit.

Though these days even a thought of driving such a huge car on bangalore roads makes me dizzy.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:23   #120
BHPian
 
wrongturn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 210
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Looks like these pics were taken from a Hyundai Verna, that means that the overall stance and height of Innova Crysta is better than the last generation. Front looks butch but back looks like a bit overdone, like the ones from Mahindra stable.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mega Auto Expo 2016 Thread: General Discussion, Live Feed & Pics Aditya The Indian Car Scene 281 25th January 2017 13:17
Rumour: Nissan to launch new X-Trail. EDIT: Launch postponed to 2016 Auto Expo Aditya The Indian Car Scene 27 5th April 2016 23:21
The 2016 Auto Expo Meetup Thread bluevolt The Team-BHP Meet Section 80 7th February 2016 14:59
5-9 February: 2016 Delhi auto expo dates revealed Tushar The Indian Car Scene 1 16th February 2015 11:17
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks