Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th October 2016, 13:55   #766
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
I captured it today at highways near Avinashi, Coimbatore.

Attachment 1563851
Design wise it looks very sorted, especially in the first pic (rear three quarters). Looks really nice and balanced!

Should at least pose some competition to Innova if priced sensibly, which I think they would. There is a huge void in the market for the people who are on the lookout for something below Innova and above Ertiga (price wise).
teemus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 14:11   #767
BHPian

For a brand with dubious distinction of product quality, not sure how much of spotting of test mules of 'about to be launched' product help.

Cannot avoid thinking that I may be buying a product is launched while is testing is going on. In reality, it could be a different version (sub 2L) or testing in advance for a future update. But the very fact it is the same car as in terms of external appearance is enough to make one feel that way.
Old 7th October 2016, 14:12   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
I captured it today at highways near Avinashi, Coimbatore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
Looks like they are targeting the base model for around 10 L bracket.
If you can see door handles, back bumper, rear door handle are all basic black and no wiper on rear wind screen.
You can find the differences in last picture between the two variants
It's the 1.9L variants which are still being extensively tested.

The stubby antenna, black inserts all around, and other stuff which has been pointed out show that the base variant might be a barebones Hexa, possibly for the fleet market.

The 2.2L variants have already entered production. Dealer dispatches will begin from the 3rd week of October.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 15:45   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
It's the 1.9L variants which are still being extensively tested.
Is 1.99L version of Xuv available outside of NCR region? I can't find price for it in Chennai.

Since 1.99L block is the new one, it's development cost will be higher than already existing 2.2L mill, hence, as speculated, pricing it aggressively than 2.2L version will not be possible based on cost+ approach. Why would they want to launch it outside of NCR if there's no apparent advantage (as far as I can see)?
Old 7th October 2016, 16:21   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Is 1.99L version of Xuv available outside of NCR region? I can't find price for it in Chennai.
Not sure of the connection being made here.

The development, R&D and testing of the 1.9L mules started well before the 2,000cc+ diesel ban was lifted. Back in May/June 2016, there were talks that the diesel ban will be extended to more cities across India, and hence Tata started serious work on this particular powerplant so that when the time came, it could be introduced in all major Indian cities, not just Delhi/NCR.

Still early days to tell if the diesel ban won't return at all. One more PIL and we might see it back in force again.

Quote:
Since 1.99L block is the new one, it's development cost will be higher than already existing 2.2L mill, hence, as speculated, pricing it aggressively than 2.2L version will not be possible based on cost+ approach. Why would they want to launch it outside of NCR if there's no apparent advantage (as far as I can see)?
The 1.9L is not an all-new engine developed from scratch, but it is a derivative of the existing 2.2L VariCOR, with similar power and torque outputs as it's bigger sibling. If anything, it might offer a marginal fuel efficiency increase.

No extra development costs incurred as such.
Old 7th October 2016, 17:03   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure of the connection being made here.

The development, R&D and testing of the 1.9L mules started well before the 2,000cc+ diesel ban was lifted. Back in May/June 2016, there were talks that the diesel ban will be extended to more cities across India, and hence Tata started serious work on this particular powerplant so that when the time came, it could be introduced in all major Indian cities, not just Delhi/NCR.

Still early days to tell if the diesel ban won't return at all. One more PIL and we might see it back in force again.
Connection - wondering why haven't Mahindra launched Xuv in other cities (if I am not wrong) if it is already in production? Since it is also a similarly 'derived' engine, their cost must be similar to TATAs.
Perhaps, they don't want to confuse the customer with too many choices and engine variants can also make servicing (parts, training) complex. So until it is enforced, they would like to sell only in NCR.

Agreed that ban might come back, but the primary and possibly only motive to develop the mill was to circumvent the ban than anything else.

Quote:
The 1.9L is not an all-new engine developed from scratch, but it is a derivative of the existing 2.2L VariCOR, with similar power and torque outputs as it's bigger sibling. If anything, it might offer a marginal fuel efficiency increase.

No extra development costs incurred as such.
Assuming development cost to be the same, with production cost almost similar to 2.2, how will it then be possible to price it much lower than the 2.2 variant unless they cut cost (as in removing features) elsewhere?

Tata Hexa crossover will come with ‘Super Drive Modes’

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-hexasuperdrivemodes.jpg

Tata Motors much awaited lifestyle passenger vehicle, the new Tata Hexa, will feature new ‘Super Drive Modes’ to provide customers with a pleasurable, comfortable and dynamic driving experience.

The new ‘Super Drive Modes’ feature, is a flawless combination of the vehicles Engine performance, new-generation Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Instrument Cluster displays and the vehicles ambient lighting and can be activated through a well-placed rotary knob, on the center console. This system allows the driver to seamlessly switch between the four different driving styles –Auto, Comfort, Dynamic and Rough Road to ensure that comfort and convenience is enhanced over different terrains.

Boasting modern and exciting architecture, plush interiors and class leading features, the vehicle is designed for customers with an active lifestyle. The Tata HEXA Automatic Transmission variants are also equipped with first-in-segment racecar mapping that provides an enhanced driving experience similar to performance cars.

The new ‘Super Drive Modes’ system is easy to use, with the advanced technology continuously monitoring the vehicle across different terrains. It provides instant feedback and timely alerts to the driver, with enhanced traction, better vehicle composure and handling, thus enabling smooth, effortless and seamless driving– from heavy traffic to wide open roads.

The Four Different styles of Super Drive Modes system

Auto Mode – In Auto Mode, the new Tata Hexa’s performance, is optimized to adapt itself automatically to all surface conditions. Kicking-in the vehicles control systems based on the road conditions, in Auto Mode the system provides for a confident and reassuring drive, regardless of the surface or the kind of driver. With a focus on stability and traction at all times, the new Hexa in Auto Mode is also well balanced in terms of power and safety. In this mode, maneuverability is maintained even in extreme situations, with improved utilization of the friction potential between the tires and road.

Comfort Mode – In Comfort mode, the engine power output of the new Tata Hexa, provides for a comfortable drive. In this mode, the engine of the Tata Hexa will deliver precise power, allowing constant cruising speeds on the highway and improving control without loss of ride comfort, for long journeys.

Dynamic Mode
– In Dynamic mode, the new Tata HEXA achieves maximum power & acceleration, performing well during extreme handling maneuvers, on curvy roads, or while drifting. In Dynamic Mode the Hexa’s ESP kicks in later, or at just about the right time, to ensure safety.

Rough Road Mode – The new Tata HEXA in the Rough Road mode, allows the driver to explore challenging off-road driving conditions or move over other unyielding obstacles. Braking performance is also tuned to support rough road surfaces, in comparison to other drive modes, causing wheel lock ups in a controlled manner. Driving the new Tata Hexa in this mode, not only optimizes ride stability, but also enhances the vehicles dynamic performance, further delivering more progressive control in slippery and tough conditions.

Source:http://shifting-gears.com/2016/10/07...r-drive-modes/

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2016 at 10:00. Reason: Merging back to back posts
tifosikrishna is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 17:28   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Connection - wondering why haven't Mahindra launched Xuv in other cities (if I am not wrong) if it is already in production? Since it is also a similarly 'derived' engine, their cost must be similar to TATAs.
Maybe they were getting ready to launch it in other cities, before the ban got revoked in favour of a 1% green cess. If the extension of the diesel ban (to other cities across India) might have been enforced instead, we might have been seeing 1.99L XUV500s in other cities too by now.

Quote:
Perhaps, they don't want to confuse the customer with too many choices and engine variants can also make servicing (parts, training) complex. So until it is enforced, they would like to sell only in NCR.
Why should there be any confusion regarding choices, servicings and trainings if the parent engine block is the same?

Quote:
Agreed that ban might come back, but the primary and possibly only motive to develop the mill was to circumvent the ban than anything else.
Yes, it was. Hence they adopted a "wait and watch" approach for the first few months after the diesel ban came into force to see if it might get lifted.

But when they noticed that the ban was here to stay, extended to the Kerala market, then possibility emerged of it being extended to 15 more cities pan-India, work became more extensive into developing the 1.9L mill.

Quote:
Assuming development cost to be the same, with production cost almost similar to 2.2, how will it then be possible to price it much lower than the 2.2 variant unless they cut cost (as in removing features) elsewhere?
Hence I said that the barebones variant (possibly XE, or a base variant even below that) might be offered with the 1.9L mill in the near future.

For now, it is still a Delhi/NCR specific development. No fresh information is there if it will be a pan-India launch, if and when it comes about. The estimated pricing (9.99 lacs - 11.39 lacs, conveyed by my birdies) was being discussed for the Delhi/NCR markets only.

Since the diesel ban has been lifted, they are going ahead with the 2.2L launch in the first week of November. The 1.9L variants are in line for a launch later, most possibly if the diesel ban comes back. If the diesel ban stays out for good, there won't be any need for the 1.9L variants to be launched, would it?

But, seeing as to how things work in India, it would make sense to have a backup plan. Just in case.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 20:54   #773
Senior - BHPian

Official info on Hexa,

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 6043
Size:  73.0 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 6077
Size:  116.0 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 6048
Size:  78.9 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th October 2016 at 20:57.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 10:21   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest spy shots from inside the Tata plant, shared on Facebook.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-14484655_911064689038603_1700570835284700572_n.jpg
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-14568245_911064149038657_6322298205205691900_n.jpg

The chosen destination for the upcoming Hexa advertisement/TVC:

Name:  hexa ad.jpg
Views: 5355
Size:  147.5 KB
(Source)

Also, Multi-Drive Modes to be exclusive to the MT variant only? All evidence seems to point towards this.

2016 Auto Expo:

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-expo-2016.jpg

Video from the event:

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-hexa-mdm.jpg

Latest spy shots of the interiors:

Name:  Spyshot.jpg
Views: 5245
Size:  50.4 KB

The AT.
Notice the absence of the Multi-Drive Modes (MDM) knob.
But then this seems to be a lower variant (XMA?).
Notice the absence of Auto AC:

Name:  hexa video at.jpg
Views: 5221
Size:  65.8 KB

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th October 2016 at 10:23.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 11:01   #775
BHPian

Has anyone seen a picture of the top-spec Hexa with A/T? Scouring through the threads I can only find interior pictures of Hexa A/T with manual AC controls, which clearly is not the top model.

Some manufacturers have released AT only on the middle variants (yes, I mean you, Maruti); I hope Tata isn't planning on the same.
Old 8th October 2016, 11:22   #776
BHPian

Quote:
.....The Tata HEXA Automatic Transmission variants are also equipped with first-in-segment racecar mapping that provides an enhanced driving experience similar to performance cars.....
So they are giving this mapping to only Auto Transmission variants!
Old 8th October 2016, 20:06   #777
BHPian

My Birdie(a very reliable source) drove the Hexa inside TML Plant , came back thoroughly impressed and said a probable launch date of 24th Oct and base variant to start from 13 Lacs , not sure on road or Ex show room though.

And according to him all variants he saw had leather seats as standard and fit and finish was impeccable and the driving experience was 'Fantastico' if i may say so
rosaf is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 00:01   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Also, Multi-Drive Modes to be exclusive to the MT variant only? All evidence seems to point towards this.
Like you have mentioned later in the post, it might be just that the switchable driving modes are available only in the higher trims. With what I can gather about the driving models from the information in the press release, I expect such implementations to be more effective/easier with the AT (especially the off-road mode).

P.S: 'Race-car mapping' / 'drifting' etc in the official press release sounds a bit amateurish and over-board.

Last edited by avinash_clt : 9th October 2016 at 00:02. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th October 2016, 08:24   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Like you have mentioned later in the post, it might be just that the switchable driving modes are available only in the higher trims. With what I can gather about the driving models from the information in the press release, I expect such implementations to be more effective/easier with the AT (especially the off-road mode).

P.S: 'Race-car mapping' / 'drifting' etc in the official press release sounds a bit amateurish and over-board.
It seems likely that the Multi driving modes will only be there in the 4x4 variants and will not be there on the 4X2 variants. The AT version spotted in the previous pics seems to be 4x2 and hence no MDM know is present. We can expect a total three trim levels and four options, MT, MT 4x4, AT and AT 4x4. In the AT 4x4 it will probably be only the highest trim, but in all others you get all three trim levels, so my expectation is of 10 launch variants, barring the 1.9 engine variants which should also get launched later. From the price perspective, I expect a starting price of 12.49 ex showroom and with a gap difference of 1 lac per trim level. Additions like AT and 4x4 should also be a lac each. So as per me the highest variant will be 17.49 lacs ex showroom. When Tata launches the 1.9 L version it should be priced 50k lower. In the initial 2-3 months Tata may give an introductory price 50k lower to build initial market share (and they also know that the initial customers will be guinea pigs! Even I am ready to become one!)
(These are just guesstimates based on birdies info - And we will finally know only when it is finally launched)
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 11:29   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Just in - Tata Motors to launch the Hexa in the second week of January, 2017. (Source)
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread