Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th October 2016, 13:03   #1351
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Ok. In that case, what is the advantage of the 19" wheels? Why would Tata provide the 19" if it has no advantages over the 16"?
Primary advantage is in the looks department. The bigger the wheels, the sexier it looks. Usually manufacturers provide a 1 size bigger alloy in the higher variants, like 16inch and 17 inch wheels on the lower and higher end variants of the XUV and Innova respectively, but it is for the first time that I'm noticing a manufacturer providing an alloy 3 sizes bigger than the ones in the lower variants.

The difference is obvious below, where the 16'ers look undertyred.

Name:  origin_f22a8031ec4acfa9e53ea542b1757809.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  49.1 KB

It should also improve handling as more rubber will also mean more roll, but not sure if that would matter to an SUV like Hexa.

Quote:
But this does seem like a nice feature to have. Overall the car seems well packed with features.
Its an old feature and a very useful one. Both my hatchback and compact sedan in the garage have it, and it was always set to on.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 13:04   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. In that case, what is the advantage of the 19" wheels? Why would Tata provide the 19" if it has no advantages over the 16"?
A smaller profile enables better handling but at the expense of ride quality. This is physics and can't do much about it. It is a choice one has to make.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 13:07   #1353
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
The last row doesn't fold flat? This is a basic expectation.
In a 7 seater (5+2 rather), last row is mostly folded down and the entire area is used for luggage. Imagine what happens if the luggage floor has a slope and not flat!
Which car in the Indian market today has a 3rd seat that folds fully flat?
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 13:07   #1354
BHPian

Looking at the variants and features, things again look bleak for Hexa now. On a vehicle costing 10L+, climate control should be included. It looks like Tata wants everyone to buy XT only and if that is the case then XT should be priced very competitively. While people will forgive Toyota on skipping features in mid-variants, Tata does not have that luxury. Without the features, Hexa suddenly pales in front of the competition. To me, XE and XM variants do not make any sense unless they are priced significantly lower.
Old 25th October 2016, 13:13   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
In many cars they split and get tucked away on the sides (Innova, Fortuner)
In many others (Captiva, Santa Fe. BR-V) they collapse flat on the floor.
When I say flat, it doesn't necesarily mean that they vanish in to the floor, but the floor becomes flat without any slopping surface.
Old 25th October 2016, 13:19   #1356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When it comes to automotive features, bigger is usually better!

Quote:
On a lighter note, in that case, what would I fiddle around when I am on the passenger seat. But this does seem like a nice feature to have.
Not really. This technology is pretty dumb from what I have seen. When you rev hard, there is a delay before the volume goes up. After you have done accelerating, engine noise inside the cabin will be low - but your music system will still be blaring loud music (because of the delay).
Old 25th October 2016, 13:23   #1357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
When it comes to automotive features, bigger is usually better!
Except when the bigger figure is on a bill presented to you.

A set of 4 tyres in the size 235/70 R16 is available starting at price of 24,512/-, while a set of 4 tyres in 235/55 R19 starts from Rs 83,836/-

(changemytyre.com used for comparison)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 13:25   #1358
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
In many cars they split and get tucked away on the sides (Innova, Fortuner)
In many others (Captiva, Santa Fe. BR-V) they collapse flat on the floor.
When I say flat, it doesn't necesarily mean that they vanish in to the floor, but the floor becomes flat without any slopping surface.
Not sure side tuck-away is a better option than folding with a slight slope. Thats a matter of choice of what kind of space you want to get freed up. I would prefer the latter.

Captiva indeed did have a 3rd seat fully flat fold design, Sante Fe also does have a slight slope but BR-V is almost exactly similar to what Hexa offers.
Old 25th October 2016, 13:55   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Not really. This technology is pretty dumb from what I have seen. When you rev hard, there is a delay before the volume goes up. After you have done accelerating, engine noise inside the cabin will be low - but your music system will still be blaring loud music (because of the delay).
There is minor delay and it does not counter only the high revs. It also counters the wind and tyre noise. However, in normal day to day driving the speed increases gradually and crosses 60kmph mark then 80 kmph mark but the volume increases in steps once we cross the speed milestone. This is not to everyone's liking. The feature can be adjusted and turned off as per preference.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 13:56   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
The last row doesn't fold flat? This is a basic expectation.
In a 7 seater (5+2 rather), last row is mostly folded down and the entire area is used for luggage. Imagine what happens if the luggage floor has a slope and not flat!
Have seen this issue being mentioned so many times, I'm unable to fathom why is it such a deal breaker. Renuka spent so much time in her ACI review on this single issue, one would imagine the seats are non folding or something.

In my 4-5 years of SUV usage I could not think of any situation where this would be a big pain. Irritating yes, placing some suitcases at a (slightly) awkward angle would be a bit annoying.

But I'm genuinely curious, under which precise scenario is this such a huge problem?
avisidhu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 14:06   #1361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Well, XUV for sure does. If we look around we may well find a couple of examples more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
But I'm genuinely curious, under which precise scenario is this such a huge problem?
When you do not have a packed boot. With just one or two heavy suitcases they will tend to slide on the slight incline on rough roads or sudden braking situations. I remember an incident where I was once driving with a small box on top of some other stuff in the boot. The vehicle in front suddenly braked. After my reflex took over I would have braked a little harder to stop in time. Next thing I heard was a pretty loud thud from the back. The sound reverberated inside the closed confines with a mind numbing echo. I clenched my teeth thinking someone has rammed into my vehicle from behind. After a moments gap I realized that it was actually that small box which threw itself on the inside panel of the rear hatch door and made the sound.

So yes, moving objects inside a vehicle can be distracting and at times disastrous as well. And if the surface on which they are kept is not flat it can only further aid such movements.

Last edited by Zappo : 25th October 2016 at 14:20.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 14:12   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Well, XUV for sure does.
Nope, XUV's 3rd row too folds at an angle. Probably with luggage weight it might sink flat, not sure.

Name:  XUV.jpg
Views: 2393
Size:  111.2 KB
Karthik Chandra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 14:16   #1363
Distinguished - BHPian

Nowhere related cars even by a distance but I would call this fully flat. This is from the Ertiga - From the official review.

Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016-marutiertiga43.jpg

Again, after I got the upholstery done (Faux Leather or Art Leather), the 3rd row wasn't folding entirely flat but when luggage was placed above it, the weight itself ensured that the loading area became completely flat.

I don't think the 3rd row folding at an angle (if some of you say so) in the Hexa can be of any concern at all and with ample luggage loaded on that, you should get the desired flatness.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th October 2016 at 14:19.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 14:16   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Nope, XUV's 3rd row too folds at an angle. Probably with luggage weight it might sink flat, not sure.
Probably Monocoque would allow the seats to sink in better compared to the ladder-frames. And may be that's why the fold away style of seats are preferred for ladder-frame like Innova
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 14:23   #1365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

Attachment 1570454
No, it is flat. Absolutely flat. In a new vehicle may be it looks a very little inclined but after some months when the cushioning settles in it is for sure that the surface is flat.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread