Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th February 2016, 10:02   #31
RWD
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016

Disappointed by the half-hearted attempt by Renault here. While the exterior has improved and looks fresher, the interiors are still hideous and an ergonomic mess. That touch screen at knee-level is hilarious. The choice of colours, even more so. Also, the steering wheel from the mid-90's is probably the ugliest in recent years. Only worthwhile addition to the cabin is the climate control.

Renault hasn't done enough to help with my dilemma. I have been really trying to convince myself to buy AWD Duster, but just can't overcome the fear of having to live with its rudimentary interiors. Guess, it's gonna stay that way.
RWD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 10:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Somehow, I find this arrangement little tedious in case your boot is load to brim or even if you have a lot of luggage in all shapes and sizes and you encounter a flat tire.
I have encountered 2 punctures to the spare wheel in my Eriga, once it had a small stone chip embedded in the sidewall, and once it had small fragment of a nail.

Both got caught during routine checks. But I am a bit paranoid about spare wheels lying exposed under the body of the car ever since. Although it could have been caused by the poor quality stock MRFs that the car came shod with. My Innova, with a similar design, and Yokohama Cs, never faced any issue.

This para was probably OT, but my point is that I prefer the arrangement of internally stowed spare wheel, even at the cost of unloading luggage, than risking finding out in the middle of nowhere that the spare is punctured as well.
Old 5th February 2016, 10:28   #33
BHPian

As a owner of Renault Duster RXZ AWD since 1.5 years, i would like to give my opinion about this facelift

Positives
  • correct placement of ORVM adjuster, this is how it should have been from the beginning
  • This brings the power window switches closer to the driver, correcting another ergonomic flaw of previous version
  • One touch driver power window with anti pinch
  • Power retractable ORVM
  • Removing the large door handle frees up more space in rear seat. Also this relocates the rear power window switches to a ergonomically correct place
  • New front fascia looks good, but the rear tail lamps, i prefer the old design
  • DUSTER written on dash board in front of front passenger looks good
  • Reversing camera
  • Driver armrest
  • Climate control FINALLY

What was not broken and good that it is not fixed
  • Terrific suspension, gives me SUV type of comfort over bad roads & near hatchback handling in the twisties ( this coming from a swift owner !!)
  • Proven powertrain
  • Simple, rugged & reliable mechanicals.] It dosent matter wheather the headlamp adjuster is mechanical or electric, as long as it is reliable and has a good range of adjustment

What is bad/ needs improvement
  • Those seat covers !
  • Proper orientation of wiper & light controls for a RHD car. It is a pain if you want to put indicator o flash Headlights with one hand on gear lever. ( not just Renault, Several other manufacturers are guilty of this e.g. VW, Skoda, Fiat etc & untill most recently Ford
  • Clanky Doors
  • Better quality wipers, Preferably with adjustable intermittent setting
  • Those interior colors ( hope they are only Auto Expo specific and will not make it to production)
  • why not provide side airbags , like in Euro version, at least in RxZ

All this bashing which the duster is getting for being old and dated, it dosent deserve. Any body who has used it extensively will surely appreciate its strengths. How many cars in this price range provide safety features such as ESP, Hill hold

Duster is a rugged reliable safe TOOL which does its job perfectly well ( infact much better than most of its cometition )
It is not an object of desire. This is car for the thinking man, not for someone who gets attracted by gadgets

P.S. I am a Ophthalmic surgeon and my profession (mainly Surgeries) puts a lot of strain on my back.Every day driving back after a busy OT ,my spine thanks me for buying the duster
i_see is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 10:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The spare wheel is now located inside the vehicle! This is surely more convenient than the earlier arrangement where it was mounted below the vehicle
Is this exclusive to Duster 4x4 or 4x4 as well as 4x2?

Because 4x4 Duster's always had the spare within the car as the rear underbody had to package in the rear diff as well as the independent suspension setup and the re-routed exhaust. Something had to give way, hence the spare was pushed inside the car.

In the 4x2 Dusty, the spare was underbody mounted because there was no packaging problems from the rear torsion beam suspension and the exhaust line.

If, indeed, now ALL the face-lifted Duster's are having the spare inside the car, then it seems Renault has commonised the rear floor for both 4x4 and 4x2.
Which raises another interesting question: the 4x4 rear floor supported independent rear suspension? So will this be standard fare for 4x2 as well?

Any enlightenment would be welcome!
Old 5th February 2016, 11:02   #35
BHPian

Will we get dual air bags and ABS across the variants atleast now? Or is it that we need to spend 14L (OTR chennai) even after facelift to have a duster with all safety kit?
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 11:28   #36
BHPian

Wow!! What a beautiful way to ruin a car!!
Just when things were getting interesting in this segment with Brezza launch, extremely well selling Creta and soon to be face-lifted Ecosport, the original player or the first successful player in the segment decided enough is enough!! Am outta here!!
Duster deserved much more. The design teams are getting out of their bloody minds and someone needs to tell rein them asap.
Old 5th February 2016, 12:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post

All this bashing which the duster is getting for being old and dated, it dosent deserve. Any body who has used it extensively will surely appreciate its strengths. How many cars in this price range provide safety features such as ESP, Hill hold

Duster is a rugged reliable safe TOOL which does its job perfectly well ( infact much better than most of its cometition )
It is not an object of desire. This is car for the thinking man, not for someone who gets attracted by gadgets

P.S. I am a Ophthalmic surgeon and my profession (mainly Surgeries) puts a lot of strain on my back.Every day driving back after a busy OT ,my spine thanks me for buying the duster
I am driving the RXZ AWD for past six months and your observations are spot-on. I will add AC and Headlights to the needs improvement area. Especially the AC which is a real downer.

With these updates they have addressed most of the shortcomings. The color scheme updates are tacky and a step backwards.

With all the new launches in compact SUV space, I still think Duster AWD is the most VFM. No other car offers below features in the price range.

- Intelligent 4WD
- Electronic Stability Program
- Hill Hold Assist
- All independent suspension and superb ride quality

I will choose these features over additional gadgetry offered by the competition.
C300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 12:46   #38
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2016 at 13:25.
ariendj is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2016, 13:44   #39
BHPian

[quote=i_see;3906448]All this bashing which the duster is getting for being old and dated, it dosent deserve. Any body who has used it extensively will surely appreciate its strengths. How many cars in this price range provide safety features such as ESP, Hill hold

We duster owners are a loyal lot aren't we. But the truth is that it is a fantastically engineered product that has only some bells and whistles lacking. and if renault would address that with a vengeance, you can easily get back those numbers, renault even if you priced it a lakh and a half above it's current price.

Last edited by igp_79 : 5th February 2016 at 13:47.
Old 5th February 2016, 15:37   #40
BHPian

IMO, Renault Duster is not for everyone who fancy about a car with lots of luxurious features inside, but it is for those who really love driving be it on highways, city roads, village roads, roads filled with potholes, or no-roads. Its amazing independent suspensions and superb ride quality, along with its proven engine makes it stand out among its Korean and Japanese rivals. Creta, XUV, EcoSport, Brezza all these will have their own fan-followings, but duster is for a different league altogether. Having said that, Renault should not have missed this opportunity to keep this wonderful product on par with the competition.

The welcome changes in the facelift,

Electrically retractable ORVM
Placement of the ORVM controls in the door
Driver arm rest
Automatic climate control (hope they have upgraded the AC to a more powerful one, )
ACC design changes
Replacement of manual recirculation slider knob in AC
Integrated reversing camera
Auto up/down switch in the driver's window with anti-pinch
New tail lamp design
Spare wheel locating inside the vehicle
Introduction of AMT

The sought-after changes as below,

Better designed alloy wheels
More color options
Interior color combination to be decent (I sincerely hope the ones projected here are Expo edition)
Better designed and useful instrument cluster
Passenger arm-rest
Projector headlamps
SRS airbags and ABS across all trims with a proper planned pricing strategy (hope they will realize the ever-growing competition and the failed pricing strategy of SCross)
josebi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 21:16   #41
BHPian

Some questions :
Will all the versions have independent suspension ?
Is the rear seat mounted on rails....I mean is it adjustable backwards, forwards ?

I feel the grey / light grey interiors look much better than the grey/ beige ones and also they should have changed the touch screen location (got down the hazard switches below it) and given it a tilt function.
Old 6th February 2016, 21:20   #42
BHPian

The original Duster had a lot of stong points as mentioned by other members above, they should have very well stuck to the same body, and only added the functional changes, like repositioning the mirror controls to a practical position. We do need a basic functional 4WD, or good GC 2WD car with all basic necessities and no gimics, or features that we never use. Hideous rings around th Ac vent etc should not have been added.
I'm not bothered about the wiper position etc, India along with Australia and New Zealand doesn't have a specified layout and Duster VW etc follow the UK layout of Steering on RHS and turn indicator on LHS. Even JLR basically a RHD car from a RHD country has the same. In fact I've seen older Volvo cars 1970's in europe with the mirror image steering on LHS and indicator stock on RHS.

Rahul
Old 7th February 2016, 20:43   #43
BHPian

Any idea where in the price band the AMT will be offered? I am keen to go for it it is not limited to the TOP end pricing.
Old 7th February 2016, 23:13   #44

Exclamation Re: Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016

Yes, quite disappointing with the interiors of duster which is still poor. While the driver will enjoy, the other member and family will suffer. See, why Creta is ahead of all because it gives comfort like Sedan and looks like and SUV. Renault will have to work hard to match interiors with few other SUV
Old 8th February 2016, 10:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshsinha View Post
Yes, quite disappointing with the interiors of duster which is still poor. While the driver will enjoy, the other member and family will suffer. See, why Creta is ahead of all because it gives comfort like Sedan and looks like and SUV. Renault will have to work hard to match interiors with few other SUV
That's a bit harsh. IMO family members are actually far more comfortable and safer in Duster than in Creta. The ride and handling not only affect the driver but co-passengers as well. I haven't driven Creta, but based on the reviews, it cant match the handling and backseat ride quality of Duster.

Quoting from Creta's official review:
"While ride quality is good, it's not 'Duster good' over broken roads & large potholes though. The Renault has a maturity to its suspension that the Creta simply doesn't. No one will complain about the Creta's ride quality, but those who've been in the Duster will know they're missing that special experience. Take the highway behaviour as an example. The Creta keeps its occupants comfortable for the most part & it has sorted highway ride quality. However, we crossed a road undulation at 100 kph and the Creta was bouncing around for 2 - 3 seconds...even after we'd left that undulation behind. Yes, it has that long wave bounce on uneven roads taken at high speed. In the same driving condition, the Duster remains f-l-a-t. We'll give the Creta an 8.5 / 10 rating for ride quality (Duster is a solid 10/10)."

Here my personal experience: My Mother suffers from back problem and used to avoid long distance travel earlier. During past six months we have done numerous long distance trips in our Dusty without any issues. The longest was a 950km drive from Pune to Mysore in a single day. I would have thought twice to undertake such a journey in Creta. Nothing personal against Hyundai here. I also own a 15 year old Santro which is still going strong and freakishly reliable
C300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread