Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd March 2016, 11:50   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016

Not providing airbags is a bad move, that too when market is concentrating more on safety. But, I think it's decently priced compared to creta and s cross.
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:51   #62
Team-BHP Support

Just looked at the older prices and found that the 2WD models have actually been reduced marginally. Exshowroom price for RxZ 110 2WD is 16K lesser than the outgoing model. For a decent increase in features that's pretty good.

Ofcourse the old Duster was running massive discounts and sales were plummeting so pricing it even more would have just killed it.

Even now I don't think enough has been done to justify the price vs the S-cross and Creta.

Other than the AWD variant there is no compelling reason to get a 2WD Duster.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:08   #63
BHPian

The refreshed Renault was a good chance for Renault to improve on their standing in the market after the Kwid success. However, their muddled strategy on Duster will hit them.

Points for them to urgently look at:

1. This duster is basically a facelift, not an all new model. They could have certainly revised the pricing and made it a lot more competitive. Their localisation abilities have improved considerably, yet no reflection in that on the pricing.

2. The AMT has to be introduced on the 85 bhp motor. Not everyone requires the powerful motor and across more variants.

3. Prices need to be alot more competitive ( i.e. like the Kwid)

4. Safety features like basic 2 airbags is not a luxury feature, its should be standard.
daywiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ofcourse the old Duster was running massive discounts and sales were plummeting so pricing it even more would have just killed it.

Even now I don't think enough has been done to justify the price vs the S-cross and Creta.

Other than the AWD variant there is no compelling reason to get a 2WD Duster.
+1. A few months of lull and the discounts would have started again, making it somewhat VFM.

Enter Budget 2016, with 4% infra cess + 1% TCS, and we are back to square one.

Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:42   #65
BHPian

Atleast now the rxe variant gets abs with ebd. The outgoing duster didn't even offer that. We'll wait for the next refresh to get airbags.

For an accomplished mile muncher it is sad to see such stinginess in safety.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:44   #66
BHPian

From the goofy upholstery to the shoddy safety equipment, Renault sure knows how to kill a product. Probably fiat is mentoring them. Italy and France are neighbors anyways right? Owned one and saw the slow death of the old Palio. own a duster and afraid i am going to see the slow death of another super competent product. When i change my car this year end, the Hexa is beginning to look attractive in its AWD avatar. It offers everything the Renault offers and more, assumung costs would hover within the same brackets.
igp_79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 19:07   #67
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

One silver lining on the safety front is the inclusion of ESP (& Hill Hold) on both AMT variants, as only the AWD got it earlier.

The AMT comes with a premium of 60k rupees, which I think is excellent, considering that it gets the important Electronic Stability Program. Hill Hold is also a nice inclusion, as most AMTs don't get this feature. So the AMT's pricing is spot on. It has to be, since AMT is perceived as the poor man's AT and is nowhere near the other automatics in terms of smoothness.

However, I still cannot get over the fact that the lowest variant gets neither ABS nor a single airbag! Come on, Renault, the 85 PS dCi RxE costs well over a million rupees on-road and comes with neither a driver airbag nor ABS. This is stupidity of the highest order!

The new RxS variant is also a stupid one. It merely gets alloy wheels and some interior trim & exterior colour coding differences. A passenger airbag would have made the RxS trim a decent choice, but it has been shamelessly omitted.

As brilliant & unmatched as the Duster is in terms of ride quality, Renault will have a tough task on hand in trying to increase sales significantly above the current numbers. They had a golden opportunity to do so by providing a better safety feature spread across variants, but they chose to squander it. This was not expected from a company with Carlos Ghosn as its CEO.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 10:35   #68
s10
BHPian

It's been a day and their website is not up yet!

https://www.renault.co.in/vehicles/p...rs/duster.html
Old 4th March 2016, 13:19   #69
BHPian

Please go to their main site, it is updated;

renault.co.in
Old 5th March 2016, 23:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
This is simply unjustifiable and extremely stupid on the part of Renault India!

Here I was, hoping the Duster facelift would get dual airbags & ABS as standard on all variants, so that the stubborn fools at Hyundai would realise their folly and equip the Base & S variants of the Creta with dual airbags. But Renault have turned out to be even stingier than Hyundai on the safety front!

Do they think the Duster is an affordable A-segment car like the Kwid? Even the Pulse gets a standard driver airbag, for crying out loud.

This is just a pathetic move by Renault!
Completely agree. Actually there is no petrol variant that has both driver and passenger airbag. Very immature on their part to skip such basic safety features...
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 15:22   #71
BHPian

I was informed by one dealer in Hyderabad that the car will be launched on 8th. Test drives also should be available from tomorrow. Got to see how it will be priced against the Vitara Breeza.

I was also at another Renault store Sri Sri Banjara Hills over the weekend. They don't seem to really want to sell the cars. They got the price list but did not share even when informed that we may be pick 3 dusters all top end versions.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 15:26   #72

What is the feedback on the new AMT models?

I have been checking in almost daily to see if any of the senior bhp'ians test drove the AMTs.

I am in the market for a new car and leaning towards an AT.
Old 10th March 2016, 18:01   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I was informed by one dealer in Hyderabad that the car will be launched on 8th. Test drives also should be available from tomorrow. Got to see how it will be priced against the Vitara Breeza.

The launch was done last week and prices were also announced. Details are there in the official site and also few posts back. Did you mean the on road price and local launch?
Old 10th March 2016, 22:51   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

I was also at another Renault store Sri Sri Banjara Hills over the weekend. They don't seem to really want to sell the cars. They got the price list but did not share even when informed that we may be pick 3 dusters all top end versions.
Ha ha.. welcome to Renault Hyd.. I am proud owner of first version of Duster, bought when it was launched. I still remember those show room guys, the kind of mess they created that time. No professionalism, I would be even surprised if you get call back from them though you mention to buy a fleet of vehicles.

This is what Renault should improve, the duster is simply superb and I enjoy it everyday. I don't understand what takes Renault to fix this part, otherwise, it would become Fiat story soon. (cars are good, but no buyers)

Having said this, I am still looking forward to exchange my duster with new AMT version. You don't need to visit their showrooms or service centers that often anyway. I hope they give some loyalty discount :-)

Last edited by niv26 : 10th March 2016 at 22:53.
Old 12th March 2016, 20:12   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad-hyd View Post
What is the feedback on the new AMT models?

I have been checking in almost daily to see if any of the senior bhp'ians test drove the AMTs.

I am in the market for a new car and leaning towards an AT.
Had dropped into a Renault showroom in Bangalore today. The Display car is expected only on Monday and TD's expected to start only by next weekend. Not great marketing by Renault considering the launch was done almost 10 days back.

Here is the OTR price in Bangalore.

Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-dusterprice.jpg

I was thinking this was kind of a Dead on Arrival thing. But looking at the prices, specially the AMT, the Top End Duster AMT is more than 2L cheaper than the Creta AT (which is 18.23 OTR Bangalore). Definitely worth considering. How the AMT drives is the big question.
Closed Thread