Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th June 2017, 20:37   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
It's the price and then the fact that it looks like a regular Polo.
I think it is very hard for powerful/expensive car buyers in India to get that looks-like-a-regular-______ ia absolutely the GTI ethos. The all-original trend-setting Golf GTI looked like a regular Golf. The whole idea was that people looked at it and had no clue that it was not just another regular hatchback. But the driver knew!

But 99 cars. Does this even count as a launch? No, I don't think so. It has been, and will continue to be, barely noticeable. Even among enthusiasts.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 22:08   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think it is very hard for powerful/expensive car buyers in India to get that looks-like-a-regular-______ ia absolutely the GTI ethos. The all-original trend-setting Golf GTI looked like a regular Golf. The whole idea was that people looked at it and had no clue that it was not just another regular hatchback. But the driver knew!

But 99 cars. Does this even count as a launch? No, I don't think so. It has been, and will continue to be, barely noticeable. Even among enthusiasts.
But the Golf GTI didn't cost 4 times the regular golf when it came out. I'm a car enthusiast and even I can't digest paying nearly 4 times a regular Polo for the GTI. I know it has to do with it being a CBU but whatever the reason, the price has almost knocked it irrelevant for anybody who looks at a price tag before buying.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 23:35   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

The original price differential I don't know. Even the Golf was somewhat expensive back then.

But I'm sure you are right, and it is a good point. What's the GT/Gti differential? I know that's a lazy question, but I've just carelessly drained my inverter battery, and don't find surfing so easy on the phone.

But with no cards to buy (I suppose they sold them all?) it's really academic. A non- launch!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 01:03   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The original price differential I don't know. Even the Golf was somewhat expensive back then.

But I'm sure you are right, and it is a good point. What's the GT/Gti differential? I know that's a lazy question, but I've just carelessly drained my inverter battery, and don't find surfing so easy on the phone.

But with no cards to buy (I suppose they sold them all?) it's really academic. A non- launch!
In terms of the GTI over the regular one, it's about 50 percent more than the regular base models (for the golf it would be the 1.0 tsi models) that are 18-20k GBP in UK while the GTi is about 30. There's no GT models in most markets as far as I know. Only in South Asian and African markets it seems.

And that's the amount that makes sense to me. A proper hot hatch for under 15 lacs that will really make you question the small SUVs , given the next Polo gets a good space upgrade too (I'm saying the space of the Baleno).

Even for other manufacturers it shouldn't be that difficult. A fiesta cost about 7-9 lacs when it was here. Given that Ford is already importing the EcoBoost and able to price it competitively , how about a 1.5 EcoBoost that puts out 200 PS(Fiesta ST) I see no reason why that should be over 15 lacs . A much better option than a City CVT at 15 IMO.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 09:24   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Not a single GTI owner on T-BHP yet? All of us were literally drooling over the prospect of a real hot hatch and one finally lands here and nobody's interested? Moment prices were announced this thread just died! We are not getting any more hot hatches in our country any time soon I guess.
Quote:
It's the price and then the fact that it looks like a regular Polo.

I would rather buy a base Cooper S rather than a Polo GTI(especially with that DSG box) .

VW just got it as a halo product and if they were serious, they could have used the Indian chassis and just plonked the engine and other components by importing them. Heck even a watered down version with a 1.4 150PS and a manual one at around 12 lacs would have been great and demolished the Abarth.

For a more successful (with at least Bhpians) product, just wait for the Octavia vRS. Under 30 lacs that would be a much more practical and VFM fast car and most likely a CKD.
Exactly what I was thinking.

With the Octavia vRS around the corner, many people would have decided to hold off the purchase. It is a much more rounded car IMO. And whilst I'm not sure if it's going to be a CKD, we know without a doubt that it will pack more than a punch. And being an Octavia, it will be infinitely more practical.

Also, the Mini Cooper S (a used one especially) would be a more interesting car. Not only would you stand out of the crowd (something you'd expect after spending 30 lakhs), you get a car that's genuinely more fun. It's all about that super-lively steering in the Mini and it's what sets it apart from the GTI!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 09:31   #306
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Also, the Mini Cooper S (a used one especially) would be a more interesting car. Not only would you stand out of the crowd (something you'd expect after spending 30 lakhs), you get a car that's genuinely more fun. It's all about that super-lively steering in the Mini and it's what sets it apart from the GTI!
Exactly what my friend did recently. He was in the market for a compact & FTD hatchback, and had an elastic budget. When the Polo GTI news was announced, he was ecstatic. But when the prices were announced, he quietly got himself a pre-owned Mini Cooper S.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 12:09   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
---

For a more successful (with at least Bhpians) product, just wait for the Octavia vRS. --.
Quote:

With the Octavia vRS around the corner, --it's genuinely more fun. --
For guys awaiting the Octavia vRS, here is the review,

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1290
Size:  28.0 KB

Quote:
On the move the 245 feels surprisingly refined to begin with. It rides smoothly, the steering is light but accurate even rather delicate in its response. And for a while you begin to wonder whether its actually as sporting as the raw numbers suggest. To begin with, in fact, it feels much like a regular Octavia
link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 16:23   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

With the Octavia vRS around the corner, many people would have decided to hold off the purchase. It is a much more rounded car IMO. And whilst I'm not sure if it's going to be a CKD, we know without a doubt that it will pack more than a punch. And being an Octavia, it will be infinitely more practical.

Thing is, the Octy VRS and Polo GTI are two very different cars. I'll Explain . If I am looking at a car like the GTI, the VRS is simply too large. The Polo is compact, nimble and easy to pilot around crowded cities like BLR. The compactness makes it an ideal fun car for someone single or even a young couple. Its also an ideal second car for a family man who loves to have fun behind the wheel. The bigger car can take up outstation and family duties. When you don't need the big back seat or luggage carrying capacity, the VRS is simply too big.

Coming to the Mini, I think the Polo GTI is more practical. Even though both are two door cars, the Polo has more room at the back. Its got a bigger boot, and it comes with a spare. And yes I know we are talking hot hatches and not comfy riding cars, but to be honest the harsh ride of the Mini with its super stiff suspension and run flat tyres won't be easy to live with on a daily basis on pothole ridden Indian roads. Also lets not forget the Cooper S is quite a lot more expensive too. Yes a used one presents a very good case for itself. THe point I am trying to make is, for someone with a 25 - 30 lakh budget looking for a small hot hatch/ second car, the GTI is a great option to have.
Santoshbhat is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 17:35   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For guys awaiting the Octavia vRS, here is the review,

Attachment 1646189

link
Are we sure that we are getting the 245 version? With the way VAG detunes the petrols, I expect not even the 228 hp version to make its full power

Quote:
Thing is, the Octy VRS and Polo GTI are two very different cars. I'll Explain . If I am looking at a car like the GTI, the VRS is simply too large. The Polo is compact, nimble and easy to pilot around crowded cities like BLR. The compactness makes it an ideal fun car for someone single or even a young couple.Also lets not forget the Cooper S is quite a lot more expensive too. Yes a used one presents a very good case for itself. THe point I am trying to make is, for someone with a 25 - 30 lakh budget looking for a small hot hatch/ second car, the GTI is a great option to have.
Yes agree that its a completely different thing. But just see that if anybody is really looking at the price tag and deciding the car, the GTI/ Cooper S won't be the consideration anyway. But with the regular Octavia already at 22-24 lacs, the vRS is just going to make more sense.

A little OT, but if I wanted a second car that is more fun, I would look at older Porsches/SLK/Z4/370Z etc. since reliability won't be my primary concern.

Another thought that I had was, Clearly the GTI was popular given that they sold out the 100. and with the next Polo just coming up, can we expect a more affordable GTI with the next gen?(If the Next gen Polo makes it to our shores at all, given their new JV with Tata)
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 20:47   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thing is, the Octy VRS and Polo GTI are two very different cars. I'll Explain . If I am looking at a car like the GTI, the VRS is simply too large. The Polo is compact, nimble and easy to pilot around crowded cities like BLR. The compactness makes it an ideal fun car for someone single or even a young couple. Its also an ideal second car for a family man who loves to have fun behind the wheel. The bigger car can take up outstation and family duties. When you don't need the big back seat or luggage carrying capacity, the VRS is simply too big.

Coming to the Mini, I think the Polo GTI is more practical. Even though both are two door cars, the Polo has more room at the back. Its got a bigger boot, and it comes with a spare. And yes I know we are talking hot hatches and not comfy riding cars, but to be honest the harsh ride of the Mini with its super stiff suspension and run flat tyres won't be easy to live with on a daily basis on pothole ridden Indian roads. Also lets not forget the Cooper S is quite a lot more expensive too. Yes a used one presents a very good case for itself. THe point I am trying to make is, for someone with a 25 - 30 lakh budget looking for a small hot hatch/ second car, the GTI is a great option to have.
Great points! Especially about the Polo GTI being the ideal 2nd (i.e. fun) car. In fact, I can totally relate to it because my dad finds our Octavia a bit too cumbersome in the city and after having driven my Polo TSI, he has set his eyes on it!

And it's true that the Mini is a lot less practical than the Polo, unless you get the 4-door Cooper (and you would not want that, trust me!).

My counter point however would be that the Octavia vRS is a more complete and rounded car when compared to the Polo GTI when you consider the price, AND especially if one is looking to buy a car that serves both purposes, i.e. fun car with with lots of power & a practical highway car with space, et al.

Of course, there aren't too many people who are actively considering these two cars without already having something else in their garage.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 18:07   #311
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hey folks... the Polo GTI price has dropped significantly (ironically just when I was pondering about it last week), to 19.9 Lacs ex showroom (approx. 25 lacs on road) in Bangalore.

I already have a BMW X3 and a used Laura, the latter is which I want to replace..

The choice is between the polo GTI and the new facelift Octavia (launched this week) 1.8 TSI, the amount of features in the Octavia is leaps and abounds ahead, the GTI is no match on that front. I have scheduled a test drive of both the cars tomo, another demerit of the GTI is the 2 door, which does provide exclusivity but is a downer when I take two-three more folks but anyways that's not a deal breaker cause I use the bimmer frequently too.

I think the gti is value for money with this price drop, I did own the GT TSI for a brief period but sold it when I moved Organizations (it was on car lease) and was happy whilst it lasted albeit the rear bench was nearly non existent.

Appreciate your thoughts here, I have always reviewed multiple threads before buying any of my cars and your inputs are always appreciated...
KAUBMW7 is offline   Reply With Quote