Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th February 2016, 00:36   #46
BHPian

Default Re: January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
What I can't understand is that in today's ruthless age, how the heck do the top bosses of GM India keep their jobs! Lucky people to say the least.
I remember a quote from Neil Gaiman which goes - “People keep working in a freelance world because their work is good, because they are easy to get along with and because they deliver the work on time. And you don’t even need all three! Two out of three is fine. ”

The part 'easy to get along with' seems apt here. That is how incompetent people survive these days.
AKTRACK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 15:04   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

When reading this thread, noticed the January 2010 Sales thread in the 'Related Threads'. Got interested to see how the numbers have evolved over the years at manufacturer level. One thing lead to the other and I ended up preparing a rough collage of the January Sales numbers for the last 6 years (Missing Jan 2011 as there was no detailed chart for the month). Of course, this does not give a 100% accurate picture, but a rough view for some pass time analysis.

January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-consolidateds.jpg

The last 5-6 years have been big for the Indian Automobile Industry with a large number of launches and many global manufacturers coming in with several products. Interestingly the absolute total numbers do not change much. There is a saying: "The more things change, the more they stay the same". With all the activity in the automobile space over the last few years, ideally one would have expected major changes in the volumes which is not the case. Most manufacturers seem kind of constant with some +/-. Honda has gained the most, climbing from the bottom of the chart to the Top 4. Tata has lost the most, dropping heavily. Smaller players like Skoda, Fiat and GM have been on the decline.

Overall, the buyer pool does not seem to be growing much. The pool is getting divided and re-divided as more and more models launch.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 15:41   #48
BHPian

Here's my take -

Maruti Suzuki
Gotta hand it to them for bringing new cars to the market and keeping the competition on their toes. The last year and a half has seen the Ciaz, S-Cross and Baleno, and the Vitara and Ignis are on their way. The Brezza is going to be a blockbuster IMO. The Baleno, Ciaz and Ertiga are doing really well.
They have so many hits in their portfolio, yet they are not complacent. And on the other hand we have manufacturers like GM (more on that later).

Hyundai
The Grand i10, Elite i20 (what's with these names?) and the Creta are doing great. Little else to cheer though. The Eon is facing the heat from newer competition (Kwid), the Verna is no longer the star it once was and the Creta will face competition from the newer SUVs. The i10 and Elantra too are falling out of favour.

Mahindra
The KUV100 and TUV300 are some of the ugliest designs that I've seen recently (IMO, no offence to anyone) but clearly, the market sees value in them. The Scorpio, Bolero and XUV500 continue their consistent performance. But it's time to lay the Verito/Vibe, Xylo and Quanto to rest.

Honda
The City continues to go from strength to strength, 8k units for a 12 lakh rupee sedan is a great achievement. The Amaze too is doing fine, but it can do better still with a facelift.
Honda just cannot get their hatches right in India. The Jazz is a hugely capable car, but they botched up the variants and pricing. Yes it's a comfortable #3, but it could've been #1.
The Brio/Mobilio are duds and should be discontinued IMO.
A lot depends on the BR-V. Honda really have their work cut out. Hope they work on the interiors and price it sensibly (i.e. undercutting the Creta).

Note : Honda is India's number 4 car manufacturer, and in a fierce market like ours, that is a great achievement. But are they the same people who gave us cars like the Accord and CR-V in 2004, Civic in 2006 and the Jazz in 2009?

Ford
They have some wonderful cars in their portfolio, yet they are not able to move them off showroom floors. If the Figo/Aspire were sold by Maruti or Hyundai, they would've probably been segment leaders.
The Ecosport is consistent, and the Endeavour is off to a great start. I'm sure it'll overtake the Fortuner.

GM
I have only one question. How dumb, lazy and inefficient can a car manufacturer get? They have the new gen Beat and Cruze, yet they give us the Sail twins and Enjoy. The Spin is unlikely to make any difference.
The Trailblazer is a better product than the Fortuner, but the way they've managed it is downright stupid.

Toyota
The Fortuner, Corolla and Innova continue to lead their respective segments. And kudos to them for making safety equipment standard and not compromising on the structural integrity of the Etios family.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 17:35   #49
BHPian

As always, good analysis by our Mods. Rated 5 stars.

It's going to be interesting to watch the fight between premium hatchbacks.
Baleno Vs Elite i20.
The waiting period as long as 6 months on Baleno may affect in decrease in numbers. But if SAs could put forth the lucrative case of S-Cross with huge discounts may help to push S-Cross numbers.
But of course buyer of hatchback turning to into a cross-over buyer is quite tough job for Nexa representatives.
Recent addition of dual airbags in all variants in Elite i20 is surely the effect of heat from Baleno. And it could be one of the reasons of it outnumbering Baleno in Jan sales.

It's disheartening to The Figo Aspire sales is on decline. Safety is still not Indian buyer's mind.
Zest now seems to settled at average 2K mark. I feel that once Kite 5 is launched, its volume will still decrease.

At last, Renault has a winner in terms of Kwid, after tasting success for Duster. But waiting period may result in missing many probable customers.
Recently, read Renault is going to increase production of Kwid by 3rd shift from March. But am not sure how it will cater Indian demand as Kwid is going to be exported to Brazil from next month.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:48   #50
BANNED

Cant believe VW didn't passat even single unit in november and december in the entire country
Old 12th February 2016, 19:47   #51
BHPian

Maruti - Like they say - Shristi me shakti ka santulan bana rehna chahiye. Somehow Maruti is immune to the balancing forces Guess other manufactures should be happy with their own sweet little space under the sun! I am a staunch proponent of competition which keeps you on your toes to defend your position. There doesn't seem any for Maruti!

Manufacturers have brought product after product (pretty competent ones) to beat the mighty Dzire but did not even manage to make a dent. There is something that defies logic here. When we Indians throw our heart at someone, we go the whole hog. We have surely done that for Maruti
AKTRACK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 21:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
I think it has more to do with City and Ciaz performing better than Verna than Hyundai deliberately shifting customer focus towards other offerings like the Creta. Hyundai has been advertising the Verna a lot recently. Last page ads in both national and regional dailies specifying features like six airbags (dual airbags and ABS as standard across variants), audio visual navigation and engine performance et al.
Verna needs an upgrade on its rear seating, rear legroom and maybe rear AC vents. Its nowhere near City/Ciaz. They cannot expect big numbers with the same physical car with extra fitment like with AVN, Airbags etc.
Old 12th February 2016, 22:35   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelsnip@gmail View Post
Cant believe VW didn't passat even single unit in november and december in the entire country
The Passat has been discontinued since a while and VW is not selling it anymore. Whatever was sold before were the leftover units. The next generation Passat B8 showcased at the Auto Expo is expected to be launched in India this year.
Old 13th February 2016, 00:13   #54
BHPian

Yet again it proves that those manufacturers who are constantly updating their offerings or launching new models (like MS, Hyundai, M&M, Ford, Tata, etc.) are gaining the market share over those who are sitting back (too slow to react to changing market needs) and still thinking that they could leverage on their best sellers over the years (like Toyota, VW, Chevy, Nissan, etc.).

Indian buyers are always on the look out for fresh designs and the market here expects constant changes unlike US market where manufacturers tend to go on a 4-6 year remodel. life cycle.
Old 13th February 2016, 10:23   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
• Terrano. Example of a good vehicle made to languish. I have a feeling everyone wants to buy a Terrano but the ASS and ridiculous pricing has let it down.
Totally agree. I test drove the THP option and the car is really good. However close to 15lakh on road is just too much.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 14:49   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is the drastic reduction in Verna a planned one in order to make way for other Hyundai products like Creta? I did not realize that Verna count has come down that low. Or is it just that City/Ciaz have taken away the numbers.

The order of 1000-1500 seems to be consistent for Verna for the last 6 months of so.
It seems the design team for Verna has a habit of messing with existing designs. Initially when the first gen Verna was struggling for existence the design team at Hyundai came up with Verna Transform which was per se a questionable design. Result, steep fall in sales.

The Fluidic design was good approach and was widely accepted by masses. However in an attempt to give a mid life update, the designers have once again messed up with the looks. This time it seems Hyundai has hired a designer from Toyota for the new version. The new design shows subtle hints of Toyota touches in the looks. Apparently, this has not gone down well with the masses. Result, steep fall in sales.

Verna has never been a big hit amongst Indians, save for the Fluidic which managed decent numbers of say 4000 + each month. Albeit current model has a benchmark diesel engine, it however disappoints on other aspects such as absence of rear AC vents, too low seating position combined with raised window sill in the rear.
Old 14th February 2016, 11:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Toyota: Nothing much to say. They seem to be happy milking the taxi market. Their bread and butter fortuner is getting hit by the Endevour. [/list]
The Taxi Market for Toyota is less than 30% now, and the bread and butter is Innova not Fortuner, anyway the hit across is because of regulations in Delhi (2.0L and above diesel restrictions) and Endeavor doesnt play a major roll in dip in Fortuner numbers
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 09:55   #58
BHPian

Good to see Jazz sales go up. Having owned one for 6 months now I can confidently say that it's one of the best hatchbacks out there.In fact not many hatchbacks give you sedan like space.

As far as M&M us concerned, I think they should really consider pulling the plug on the ugly Quanto as well as the Vibe.
Old 17th February 2016, 14:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
As far as M&M us concerned, I think they should really consider pulling the plug on the ugly Quanto as well as the Vibe.
Not sure about Vibe but Quanto facelift is already on roads for testing!!! Not exactly sure who in Mahindra managed to get a facelift of a flop vehicle released!!
Old 20th February 2016, 10:49   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Here's my take -
Toyota
The Fortuner, Corolla and Innova continue to lead their respective segments. And kudos to them for making safety equipment standard and not compromising on the structural integrity of the Etios family.
Adding to that, new versions of both the Innova and Fortuner are around the corner. I think volumes would go up once their sales are started. However a very significant increase in volumes and market share would not come unless we get a more competent replacement to the Etios and Liva.
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread