Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th February 2016, 11:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 7 kg gold seized from a Carnet Mini Cooper at Kochi, Kerala!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
people are driving cars registered in other countries! and here we are being caught by RTOs for driving out-of-state cars.
Nothing wrong with that, they bring the vehicles after paying the necessary fee for their short stay.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 01:21   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I am surprised at the foolishness of the smugglers. If one needed to desperately smuggle precious metals (read gold), I would melt the gold into automobile parts (in the engine or chassis), paint it black and attach it to the car body. No one would know there was gold in there....
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 09:59   #18
BHPian

"Indian job" inspired from "Italian job", which went awry.
As someone mentioned, this may be a staged operation to show that officials are working, but definitely will put some fear in folks planning to try out this route. Effort should be made to book the actual culprit who is the end consumer of this gold, I don't believe this is being done by some smuggler to finally sell it to some small fishes. Unless that level of cracking is done, such activities are never going to reduce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am surprised at the foolishness of the smugglers. If one needed to desperately smuggle precious metals (read gold), I would melt the gold into automobile parts (in the engine or chassis), paint it black and attach it to the car body. No one would know there was gold in there....
I am sure someone will try/are trying these kind of things too
shinuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 10:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Why bother ? The percent of gold that gets caught by customs is very very small. Most of the instances of them being caught is with insider information
BaluJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 20:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Are you suggesting something like the Bond movie 'Goldfinger' ? There, the whole body of the villain's car was made of gold....18 carat white gold to be precise.

Mods, kindly delete post if deemed inappropriate.
TheStranger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 00:28   #21
BHPian

Case update.

johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote