Old 28th February 2016, 15:08   #1
BHPian

Default Fuel Economy Star Ratings (FESR) from 1st April 2016

Name:  FE star rating.JPG
Views: 1969
Size:  65.7 KB

Fuel Economy Star Ratings (FESR) from 1st April 2016-fe-1.jpg

Bullet points :-
  • Date of compliance from 1st April 2016.
  • Every manufacturer/importer should fix FESR label and the dealer should prominently display it at the point of sale.
  • In case of vehicles powered with more than one fuel (CNG/LPG), the FESR label shall be based on the test conducted in the LPG/CNG mode as applicable.
  • International Centre for Automotive Technology, Manesar, Haryana shall authorize usage of labels and numbers .
  • Every manufacturer and importer of vehicles (except Quadricycles) shall on from 1st April 2017 comply with Average Fuel Consumption Standards as notified by the government in 2015 under the Energy conservation act.

[ATTACH]Notification PDF[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf File1965.pdf (2.18 MB, 194 views)

Last edited by johannskaria : 28th February 2016 at 15:17.
johannskaria is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 16:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fuel Economy Star Ratings (FESR) from 1st April 2016

Will the rating be based on vehicle segment? Like if it is bigger, heavier etc.?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 16:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Will the rating be based on vehicle segment? Like if it is bigger, heavier etc.?
Dimensions and segment of the vehicle is not taken into consideration , but the weight of the vehicle (unladen mass *)and its fuel consumption per 100 km (ARAI figure converted ) forms the basis of the calculation for the ratings.

(* The unladen mass of any vehicle is the weight of the vehicle when it’s not carrying any passengers, goods or other items.
It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle when it’s used on a road.)

Last edited by johannskaria : 28th February 2016 at 16:47.
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 17:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

I just did a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation.

For a car that weighs 1200kg (typical of the B/C segment), a 5-star rating is achieved if the fuel consumption is 5.1034 litres/km or less. This translates to a fuel economy number of 19.59kmpl.

If the FCi is based on the standard ARAI test, then I think almost all the existing cars in B/C segment will be having 4/5 stars.

In most places in the world, a star rating system like this starts off with most manufacturers qualifying for 3/4 stars. The 5-star rating being a "stretch" goal, manufacturers will be pushed by both customers and competition to try and achieve it, thus increasing fuel economy on the whole. The current formula I think has defeated this purpose. Anyway, in a "kitna deta hai" obsessed India, we don't need a star rating for fuel economy!
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 17:59   #5
BHPian

• Every manufacturer and importer of vehicles (except Quadricycles) shall on from 1st April 2017 comply with Average Fuel Consumption Standards as notified by the government in 2015 under the Energy conservation act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I just did a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation.

For a car that weighs 1200kg (typical of the B/C segment), a 5-star rating is achieved if the fuel consumption is 5.1034 litres/km or less. This translates to a fuel economy number of 19.59kmpl.

If the FCi is based on the standard ARAI test, then I think almost all the existing cars in B/C segment will be having 4/5 stars.

In most places in the world, a star rating system like this starts off with most manufacturers qualifying for 3/4 stars. The 5-star rating being a "stretch" goal, manufacturers will be pushed by both customers and competition to try and achieve it, thus increasing fuel economy on the whole. The current formula I think has defeated this purpose. Anyway, in a "kitna deta hai" obsessed India, we don't need a star rating for fuel economy!
Our attitude as a country has set bar high for the manufacturers, but I don't think the purpose has been defeated. This is because the government can tweak the 'Average Fuel Consumption Standards' to force the manufacturers to give us more fuel efficient cars. And keep in mind that most of the line up has yet to include safety standards (which will add weight!) that are yet to kick off. IMO its a fair starting point.
johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 18:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is a nice move in the first place. But as the vehicle unladen weight is taken into account, does it mean that rating would also have to be variant based ? A Swift Zxi would weigh more than Swift Lxi, so a variant based rating should be the way out I think.

I did try to work out for Swift petrol considering 960 kg. as its unladen weight, its a 4 star rating. 960 is weight I took from ACI. But how did they arrive at those multipliers and addition constants ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 18:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This is a nice move in the first place. But as the vehicle unladen weight is taken into account, does it mean that rating would also have to be variant based ? A Swift Zxi would weigh more than Swift Lxi, so a variant based rating should be the way out I think.

I did try to work out for Swift petrol considering 960 kg. as its unladen weight, its a 4 star rating. 960 is weight I took from ACI. But how did they arrive at those multipliers and addition constants ?
I suppose there would be different weight classes
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 22:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Dimensions and segment of the vehicle is not taken into consideration , but the weight of the vehicle (unladen mass *)and its fuel consumption per 100 km (ARAI figure converted ) forms the basis of the calculation for the ratings.

(* The unladen mass of any vehicle is the weight of the vehicle when itís not carrying any passengers, goods or other items.
It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle when itís used on a road.)
If ARAI figure is one of the variables for this formula/figure, is there any effort to fine tune or correct the ARAI figures, as the said figures are arrived in controlled environment and do have lot of asterisks (terms and conditions) attached to it?
Inner Voice is offline   Reply With Quote