Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2016, 01:05   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post
It would be interesting to multiply car sale figures with the respective average ex showroom price of the car. We would get see top grossing cars.

Yes, I am waiting for some resourceful guy to come up with these numbers. It'll show us who really is the boss and laughing all the way to bank. I don't expect to see much change in the top three manufacturers but lower down there may be significant changes.
Old 7th March 2016, 11:33   #47
BHPian

Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Thanks Aditya for the data.

Luxury segment sales led by Mercedes Benz,

Mercedes -1085, Audi 990, BMW 640, Volvo 140, Porsche 25.
Source: Auto Punditz
Dont see the S class mentioned here. Also with the new launches around X5, X1 and the buzz around 7 series, I would have expected better sales from BMW.

Just wonder if they consider India to be a fringe market. If they are world leaders in the major markets, do another 500 sales per month matter to them here?

I was not a big fan of BMW, but I believe that they have the spunk to bounce back stronger than Audi.

Last edited by Khushrav : 7th March 2016 at 11:35.
Old 7th March 2016, 11:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
By the way, where are all the 7000 Kwids a month going? I have seen only 1 on the road in Bombay so far (and I do notice car models while driving).
Me too have this habit of reading car models while driving.

On another note, I find plenty of newly despatched Kwids (i.e., with ribbons, garlands, flowers, Turmeric and Kumkum etc., on them) in Kalyan Dombivali area. Each time I cross this dealer here, I clearly see at least two Kwids kept ready for delivery.

I can safely presume that Kwid is doing well in suburbs of Mumbai.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:54   #49
BHPian

Rated the Article a well deserved 5 stars!!!!
My 5 Paise analysis :
1) I am actually surprised by the Feb Sales this year. When you compare the sales of Jan and Feb over the years, It's very rarely that Feb sales are more than Jan. There are multiple factors to this.
a) People prefer buying car's in the first month of the year.
b) People tending to wait for the budget to see if cars get cheaper.
c) Dealers pushing the sales in March with big discounts for clearing their stocks.
So February usually ends up with the lesser sales among the three every year. Be it 2015/14/13. But this year is an exception and a welcome one at that!
2) Hyundai laughing all the way to the bank. For Creta to sell 8K is nothing short of stunning. I think this is the highest they have ever sold since the launch. With practically no competition from the well deserved but under-performing S-Cross, It looks like Hyundai is safe by quite a distance.
3) As someone pointed out, Hyundai needs to pull the plug on i10 and try to push all those number to Grand i10 if they want to be in the competition with MSIL. The sales of Grand i10 is on steady decline and I hope the guys are not Blind-sided by all the Creta and i20 numbers.
4) City posted the poorest sales in more than 6 months!! Did something happen that we missed out? Ciaz seems to have not taken up all those numbers so the leak has gone somewhere else. Very Amusing to note.
5) New kid KUV100 seem to be shining for now. With another 20-25K bookings, they are sitting comfortably for now. Too soon to analyze.
6) Shocked by the sales figure of Celerio!! Hope it's just an aberration and that correction will happen next month itself. Looks like all those numbers have gone to KUV. with 1.0L KWID and a rumoured AMT to be launched, MSIL better be prepared for downfall.
7) There is a saying "Something is better than Nothing". Not sure if it applicable for S-cross, But I would like to believe it does. Hope this upward trend continues. This was actually the month since the price cut to look out for and they have not disappointed if not delighted.
8) I will never understand how someone will go ahead and buy a Yeti these days. Too much pocket money to waste perhaps!!!
9) With the upcoming Tiago Launch and trying to make a consistent sales for poor performer Zest, TATA seems to have accepted the rejection of BOLT. Safari and Sumo selling more than BOLT is not just shocking but disappointing too!
10) But nothing is more disappointing than the figure for Figo Twins. Having seen the vehicles close, I feel like giving ONE TIGHT SLAP to the Ford Marketing team. One of the 855 Aspire was bought by my Cousin because of my push and I just hope he does not read the sales figures. But to be truthful, with the experience that we got during the whole phase of purchase, this was surely expected. Sad. Just Plain Sad!!
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 14:06   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post
It would be interesting to multiply car sale figures with the respective average ex showroom price of the car. We would get see top grossing cars.
Nice Idea. Thanks. Tried a rough calculation with the Top 20 Cars. Details in this post (Top selling cars & their sales % contribution to the company)
Old 7th March 2016, 15:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Thanks Aditya for the data.

Luxury segment sales led by Mercedes Benz,

Mercedes -1085, Audi 990, BMW 640, Volvo 140, Porsche 25.
Thank you volkman10. But had 1 question. Why don't Mercedes A-Class & B-Class sales numbers figure in the list? Also CLA will surely run in for a few hundreds.
Old 7th March 2016, 17:03   #52
BHPian

I think my Etios will be one in that 2257. I was looking for my new car and had looked at various options. The City was offered with free insurance only for their 2015 models. For 2016 it was zero discount. For Ciaz, without any haggling I was offered straight away a discount of 58000 for 2016. If by any chance you get a 2015, I believe you can buy the Ciaz at the rate of Dzire This could be one reason people going for Ciaz at this time. But I am not taking away the success from Maruti. Its infact good, as I recently read that Honda has planned for City's facelift due this year.
In general, with maruti's discount, particularly for Diesel, what I saw was Ciaz came down from C2 to almost C1, Dzire can be bought for swift's price and Swift was much lower. If you get a 2015 with your dealer, then it will save you lot more.
Old 7th March 2016, 19:37   #53
BHPian

These sales charts are if anything a slap to FORD which forgot to make a decent TVC till about 2 to 3 weeks ago.

It does feel not right to see some good products not doing well because of an incompetent marketing team. (Im talking about 6 months after launch and not after the product life cycle)

With the Brezza coming on, FORD might well reach the glorious abyss and give some company to the poor and lonely FIAT lady down there. And who knows, they might end up making some FORD and FIAT babies which are athletic but cant talk
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 19:49   #54
BHPian

I thought with the launch of the Baleno, the sales of the Swift will be cannibalized. But I dont see that happening. Any reason, apart from waiting periods, why a customer would go for a swift over the Baleno?
Old 7th March 2016, 20:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I thought with the launch of the Baleno, the sales of the Swift will be cannibalized. But I dont see that happening. Any reason, apart from waiting periods, why a customer would go for a swift over the Baleno?
You just spoke out what has been bugging me for a while. All I can think of are:
1. yes, probably waiting periods
2. NEXA availability in all tier cities
(I havent been saying as many new Swifts as back then in Hyderabad these days. So I would be safe to assume that all those numbers are from lower tier cities which is still a phenomenal number)
3. May be, 'herd mentality'. Baleno might need some more time to catchup to the regular household like the swift did
4. better driving dynamics - Naah, who am I kidding. Who even looks at that these days. Fiesta wouldnt have done 0 units if that was the case.
vamsi2390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 21:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
It has cannibalized. Not only Swift, but DZire too. From the earlier average figures of around 18K, Swift has come down to 15K range, while DZire has come town from 20K to 18K range. That's a total of around 5K units. But, a Swift is a Swift. Its brand value is un-matchable by any other hatch in India.

But Baleno has proved it again that spacious, feature-rich, fuel efficient, contemporary looking hatches have a good market in India. It was launched 5 months back, and now sits on a total booking of 1lakh units. That means, 20K per month. If Maruti had no production constraints / export orders, it could have easily become the second largest selling car in India.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 21:14   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont see the S class mentioned here. Also with the new launches around X5, X1 and the buzz around 7 series, I would have expected better sales from BMW
Mercedes has picked back Diesel S class from NCR dealers and given to other dealers ,they still have 2015 Model Years in stocks at factory so you can realise the effect of loss of sales in NCR. Due to increase of prices in budget, they must have done last day invoices which gave them respectable numbers.

BMW should have better sales in March , they dispatched some 20 pieces of 7 series DPE in Feb as Demo cars to dealers - don't know if that counts as sales or no. They will start deliveries of customers orders this month and are completely sold out on first lot, most of the bookings have been for M variant. I think X1 production will pick soon and we will have some solid numbers. 3 series unfortunately is not able to compete with C class which looks a class above.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th March 2016 at 21:32.
Old 7th March 2016, 21:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
You just spoke out what has been bugging me for a while. All I can think of are:
(I havent been saying as many new Swifts as back then in Hyderabad these days. So I would be safe to assume that all those numbers are from lower tier cities which is still a phenomenal number)
3. May be, 'herd mentality'. Baleno might need some more time to catchup to the regular household like the swift did
4. better driving dynamics - Naah, who am I kidding. Who even looks at that these days. Fiesta wouldnt have done 0 units if that was the case.
Yes, quite forgot that Baleno is sold only via NEXA. I guess this is the main reason as the number of NEXA units are very minimal, especially in tier 2 and 3 cities.

OT: I have a first generation petrol swift (6 years and counting) and still awfully fond of it, so yes it is one good car
Old 7th March 2016, 22:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Another reason could be that there are no discounts on baleno whereas swift is on decent discount especially 2015 models.
nik hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 23:40   #60
BHPian

Sad to see Figo numbers. They seem to be doing worse than their earlier avatar and by this rate will fade away from Public memory sooner than the old Figo. For the launch price of 5.89 ex showroom the Aspire Diesel Ambiente was a steal. Cannot say the same after the prices moved north of 6 Lacs and the RTO almost got doubled which has made the car costlier by around 50k.

I think the March numbers are going to be better around 2-3k for Aspire given the advertising blitzkrieg by Ford. If these ads don't help Ford, god help them!
Closed Thread