Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 00:05   #61
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,517
Thanked: 6,613 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quite sad to see Ford losing numbers, and all of those! Not too sure how can they turn the game around now. Ecosport will be ripped apart once Brezza comes out I believe.

Renault has something to cheer about and they probably wouldn't bother about the losing sales on other products. We'll have to wait for 5 years for the next game changer from Renault I presume.

TATA is another misery story. Indian customers have been so tough with them for the mistakes they committed in the past. They sure need a make over in terms of brand I guess, since the products are not picking up. Probably moving the entire commercial vehicles out of normal A$$ might help ?

Honda - City's fall shouldn't be worrying, neither should Ciaz's rise! I assume they prioritized face lifted Amaze's production over City's. I know a bunch of Honda / City fanboys; they wouldn't be caught dead in a Ciaz at any cost; even if they have to wait for 3-4 months for the City.

Toyota - Fortuner & Innova have had such a dream run inspite of the age & lesser features, boring looks etc etc etc!

Hyundai - probably the only company in India today which can dream of absurd pricing and still get away in style! Low sales a problem with i10 (old gen)? Not at all, that's all from the taxi segment which is a bonus on a end-of-life product.

Fiat - almost double the number of Abarths MoM - time for delicious discounts for some?! A company which has good products but filled with lousy brains! Bring completely new products and start afresh!

BMW - a pathetic show after all the snobbishness in the initial time?

Mercedes - Never thought they'll change the game so much. A good example of a successful product offensive. I think Merc still has the most brand value of the top 3 in India, still.

Mahindra - Doing good at what they are best! Creating "SUVs". I think they have moved a lot further from what they were, A$$ has also made a lot of difference to the brand I believe.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 03:49   #62
BHPian
 
vivee90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 71
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Great thread again! Thank you all. I would be surprised if M&M can keep up the KUV100 numbers. Since, they have quite a start and then lose steam over months. Ford Figo and Aspire is a real shame given their safety package and practicality for the price point.


On seeing all the discussions, I am curious are the numbers really a mark of success for a car? May be in most cases, it is so. But is there any indicator about the profitability of the models for the manufacturers? I have heard that Hyundai India has higher profitability than MSIL in-spite of their higher numbers (not verified!) Am sure that is also an important factor for OEMs to plan their marketing strategy and product mix.
vivee90 is offline  
Old 8th March 2016, 10:27   #63
BHPian
 
Ehsank78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
By the way, where are all the 7000 Kwids a month going? I have seen only 1 on the road in Bombay so far (and I do notice car models while driving).
Lots of Kwids on Chennai roads. Guess they are prioritizing deliveries to the south. As per the sales chart they have sold over 30,000 Kwids in last 5 months. I am sure you will start to see more and more Kwids in months to come.
Ehsank78 is offline  
Old 8th March 2016, 13:03   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 158
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Hi

brilliant analysis as always.

I was just wondering; what impact has AMT had on the market?

It seems surprising that Celerio, which pioneered the AMT hatckback segment is loosing out, while Wagon R seems to be rising because of the introduction of AMT!

Is AMT a deal maker/breaker for the customer, or is it just another premium 'feature' for top end models, just like (say) alloy wheels or rear defogger?
amitayu is offline  
Old 8th March 2016, 15:31   #65
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,765
Thanked: 2,219 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
It seems surprising that Celerio, which pioneered the AMT hatckback segment is loosing out, while Wagon R seems to be rising because of the introduction of AMT!
If this is the case, I am quite happy! The uglier Celerio (compared to WagonR) should be treated in such a way, that manufacturers should know that they can't sell all they offer.

IMO, the next generation Wagon-R should come in the Celerio platform with a width of 1600mm.
romeomidhun is offline  
Old 8th March 2016, 15:51   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 158
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Hi

brilliant analysis as always.

I was just wondering; what impact has AMT had on the market?

It seems surprising that Celerio, which pioneered the AMT hatckback segment is loosing out, while Wagon R seems to be rising because of the introduction of AMT!

Is AMT a deal maker/breaker for the customer, or is it just another premium 'feature' for top end models, just like (say) alloy wheels or rear defogger?
amitayu is offline  
Old 8th March 2016, 17:52   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 301
Thanked: 597 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
I was just wondering; what impact has AMT had on the market?

It seems surprising that Celerio, which pioneered the AMT hatckback segment is loosing out, while Wagon R seems to be rising because of the introduction of AMT!

Is AMT a deal maker/breaker for the customer, or is it just another premium 'feature' for top end models, just like (say) alloy wheels or rear defogger?
I could sense that a lot of urban customers who buy a second car for city usage (mostly the A/B1 segment hatchbacks) prefer AMT, because of the ease of drive-ability within city limits. For them, certainly AMT is a deal-breaker/maker as you mentioned. The market is slowly moving towards automatics and the car-makers have to make sure they are offering auto-box in all their models to survive in the future.

In one of the earlier posts in this thread, I too had mentioned that Celerio numbers might have taken a hit due to increase in WagonR numbers.
jpcoolguy is offline  
Old 8th March 2016, 19:45   #68
BHPian
 
King_pin09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 322
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
10) But nothing is more disappointing than the figure for Figo Twins. Having seen the vehicles close, I feel like giving ONE TIGHT SLAP to the Ford Marketing team. One of the 855 Aspire was bought by my Cousin because of my push and I just hope he does not read the sales figures. But to be truthful, with the experience that we got during the whole phase of purchase, this was surely expected. Sad. Just Plain Sad!!
What is the punishment in your book of law for committing two murders? Just one tight slap.

Jokes apart,

Seriously, not all products coming in can hit the bulls eye. Our market too has a set of unpublished preferences. The Figo siblings, Vista/Manza siblings and the Sail siblings despite being good in overall terms have failed to mark their impression amongst buyers. This probably points us to note the following market trends,

a. That, products despite being good looking, well packaged and well priced; but flawed with management ATTITUDES does fail.
b. That, identical looking hatchback and sedans may not be essentially accepted by the market, unless they carry a punching factor that makes them indispensible to the market (Swift/ Dzire for sporty driving, Polo/ Vento for driving fun, Punto / Linea for handling etc)
c. That, heavy cost cutting or outdated technology that cannot keep them up with the market offerings, can turn fatal unless such acts are compensated by a heavy brand image.
d. In some cases it is only the larger copy of the siblings who manages to remain afloat while the smaller copy vanishes in dust (Brio/ Amaze, Liva/Etios).

So, in essence, it may not always be the mistake of the marketing team alone which causes a product to fail. One has to consider the totality of circumstances, which might have caused a much deeper impact on the product's performance.
King_pin09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:41   #69
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,399
Thanked: 8,914 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
10) But nothing is more disappointing than the figure for Figo Twins. Having seen the vehicles close, I feel like giving ONE TIGHT SLAP to the Ford Marketing team. One of the 855 Aspire was bought by my Cousin because of my push and I just hope he does not read the sales figures. But to be truthful, with the experience that we got during the whole phase of purchase, this was surely expected. Sad. Just Plain Sad!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
These sales charts are if anything a slap to FORD which forgot to make a decent TVC till about 2 to 3 weeks ago.

It does feel not right to see some good products not doing well because of an incompetent marketing team. (Im talking about 6 months after launch and not after the product life cycle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Sad to see Figo numbers. They seem to be doing worse than their earlier avatar and by this rate will fade away from Public memory sooner than the old Figo. For the launch price of 5.89 ex showroom the Aspire Diesel Ambiente was a steal.
While Ford Marketing is not great, even after they stepped it up, the sales have continued to go down. One other reason is the poor dealer attitude and the apparent lack of proper communication between Ford and its dealers. In the past 2 years, there have been 4 instances in my very immediate circle where we backed out of buying a Ford car purely due to the laid back/negative attitude from the dealer. The other point is that Ford has always focused on Exports. Even when the Ecosport Fever was at its peak, it did not increase domestic supplies. Even in Feb 2016, their exports grew 2 fold. Extract below.

Quote:
Ford India today reported 37.61 per cent increase in its total sales at 17,306 units in February as against 12,576 units in the same month last year.

However, the company's domestic sales declined 7.98 per cent at 5,483 units last month as against 5,959 units in the same period a year ago, Ford India said in a statement.

Exports during the month rose nearly two-fold to 11,823 units from 6,617 units in February 2015, it added.
As far as I know exporting is more lucrative than domestic sales. So maybe the demand is there, but Ford does not really want to satisfy it at the expense of exports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Quite sad to see Ford losing numbers, and all of those! Not too sure how can they turn the game around now. Ecosport will be ripped apart once Brezza comes out I believe.
+1. Ecosport is already falling. With today's Brezza launch at a price well under cutting the Ecosport, Ford's best seller is in big trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivee90 View Post
On seeing all the discussions, I am curious are the numbers really a mark of success for a car? May be in most cases, it is so. But is there any indicator about the profitability of the models for the manufacturers? I have heard that Hyundai India has higher profitability than MSIL in-spite of their higher numbers (not verified!) Am sure that is also an important factor for OEMs to plan their marketing strategy and product mix.
Maybe true. Maruti's volumes until now were all in the lower segments. While Hyundai's top sellers are all in the more premium segments. Especially the Creta. But with the huge success of the Baleno, the performance of the Ciaz and with the blockbuster in the making-The Brezza, Maruti has got a hold on the 7-12L segment and will be definitely helping their bottom lines.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 13:09   #70
BHPian
 
Makesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 12 Times
Question Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Is it possible to get the breakup of Abarth sales figures?- Punto/Aventura?
Makesh is offline  
Old 9th March 2016, 14:44   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: India
Posts: 244
Thanked: 610 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I was just analysing the sales of i20 vs Baleno vs Swift for the month of February.

i20 is sold through approximately 550 dealers spread across 315 states. So in the month of Feb, when they crossed 10K, it works out to 18 Vehicles per showroom or 32 Vehicles approximately per state.

Now It's not fair to Compare with Nexa but a similar analysis puts Baleno which clocked 6888 dispatches, at approximately 98 vehicles per showroom or 186 per city. (This is assuming they have close to 67-70 showrooms in 37 cities. Their site does not give proper information)

MSIL has around 792 dealers across 414 cities!! (Does India really have 414 CITIES? ) Now if we take into account SWIFT which includes Dzire also, then we are looking at 32885 dispatches which turns out to be 41 vehicles per showroom or 79 per city.

So maybe the penetration is not very deep but IMO Baleno is a much bigger success that anything we have seen in recent times. Some say they have even surpassed the SWIFT hysteria.

Even Renault who pulled out a whopper with KWID sells only about 38 Vehicles per showroom or 44 per city. Agreed that Renault have production constraints but that is a management level calculation mistake and they cannot be spared for that.

One never knows but this might also be one of the reason why MSIL is not in panic mode when it comes to S-cross numbers. By Selling only Diesel and at 2524 dispatches, they have sold close to 36 Vehicles per showroom or 68 per city. Agreed that it could have been much better but with the constraints they have and the pricing setback they faced, it's not a bad picture at all and there is always scope for improvement. Their main competitor Creta comes in at 14 per showroom or 26 per city which includes petrol as well.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 13:22   #72
Newbie
 
ram1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While Ford Marketing is not great, even after they stepped it up, the sales have continued to go down. One other reason is the poor dealer attitude and the apparent lack of proper communication between Ford and its dealers. In the past 2 years, there have been 4 instances in my very immediate circle where we backed out of buying a Ford car purely due to the laid back/negative attitude from the dealer.
Yes, it is a sad truth. Last week, I went to metro ford in Bangalore for checking out Figo DCT. The dealership experience was bad. They couldn't arrange for TD on time and while I waited they never offered to explain the car features/price etc. I actually walked to nearby NEXA showroom and completed a TD of Baleno and came back to Ford showroom in that gap (added to the fact the NEXA was crowded and Ford showroom was near empty!). Also, during the TD, the sales executive didn't bother to explain the different modes and on the new features of the car. In fact, I missed to check out sports mode. Although I must confess, it was partially due to the reason the Drive mode itself felt so sporty. This car is certainly good enough to do better numbers.
ram1980 is offline  
Old 10th March 2016, 15:46   #73
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 301
Thanked: 597 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Now It's not fair to Compare with Nexa but a similar analysis puts Baleno which clocked 6888 dispatches, at approximately 98 vehicles per showroom or 186 per city. (This is assuming they have close to 67-70 showrooms in 37 cities. Their site does not give proper information)
I got what you say, but there is a catch in this type of analysis. When you say there are limited NEXA showrooms, most of them would be in the metro cities and urban centers, where the product penetration would be more for a premium hatchback, than the rural areas. Now, for this type of comparison, we may then have to consider only the number of showrooms Hyundai has in the same areas where a NEXA is present - not all the 550 showrooms across India, since the urban centers would sell more units of a i20 / Creta than the rural centers.

But even then I feel that Baleo will lead in the "No. of Units sold per Showroom" criteria, but i20 or Creta may not do as bad as portrayed above. This is just my opinion on the topic of comparison on volumes / showroom. Cheers.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 21:21   #74
BHPian
 
dvprasad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: chennai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

By the end of this month, i am moving to a sales job that involves driving atleast 50kms inside the city during peak hours.

So i needed an AT car & budget was set at 10 lacs post exchange of my current manual wagon r.

I started with Ecosport AT, since it is the safest car in my budget.

However a test drive revealed that its sluggish response was a deal breaker considering it cost more than a million bucks.

I also realized that i could not be choosy about parking since my job entails me to visit clients across the most chaotic parts of the city.

It did not make sense to spend more than a million bucks on a new car & park in open unsupervised places where it was susceptible to scratches, dents & whatnot.

I then considered the reasonably priced figo twins, since they were well within my budget.

However i realized that the only functional dealer was Chennai Ford, who was least interested in selling the AT variant of the figo twins.

I tried MPL ford, who asked me to try with chennai ford for AT variants of the FIGO twins.

I even contacted the newly established Manasarovar Ford to see if they were any better, to no avail.

Fed up with the attitude of Ford dealers, who made me feel like as if i was pleading with them to sell me their product.

I contacted Maruti dealers, to see if i could get wagon r/stingray amt option variant.

I was amazed with their persistent followup to my telephonic enquries & finally booked a celerio amt zxi option variant.

It is easy to see why ford has very low sales numbers despite having excellent products.

With such jokers for dealers, they probably should focus on exports as a sustainable business model.
dvprasad is offline  
Old 24th March 2016, 10:23   #75
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 11,539
Thanked: 20,528 Times
Default Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Baleno has been exported to Japan in Jan and began its European exports in Feb.
Total cars exported in Jan/Feb is ~ 5143.

From its launch in Oct-2015 to Feb 2016 in domestic market, the volumes sold are 38, 461 cars.

Top 5 cars exported are,

Name:  top5exports.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  52.3 KB

http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...february-10916
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
February 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis Aditya The Indian Car Scene 87 1st April 2015 10:50
February 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 133 9th April 2014 18:11
February 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 70 3rd April 2013 12:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks