Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th November 2016, 15:15   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

This Car looks Stunning in that White Shade.
While it does look great, on-road it looks like a Vento with Skoda grille from front . The headlamp is very similar to the one in Vento.
PrideRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 17:30   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs

Short review by Carwale.

Quote:
We managed to drive the manual variant. The engine like before is on the louder side and one can hear the clatter especially when the engine is cold. Performance though remains a highlight. Going up the ghats in Mussorie, we managed to climb most of it in third gear despite the route being a twisty one with numerous hairpin bends and traffic. The performance is dull under 2000 rpm post which the turbo spools up and you get a fat wave of torque, pushing you ahead. Drivability is the highpoint of this engine and you barely need to shift gears, which is a good thing considering the clutch is on the heavier side. The gear shifts too are slightly on the heavier side but slot in nicely.

The suspension set-up remains the same, but then we have always appreciated the Rapid’s ride and handling. The suspension soaks up bumps and bad sections very well and it’s only the sharp edged ones that filter in. The handling is pretty good too and throwing the Rapid around corners can be plenty of fun. There is good grip available and the steering offers decent levels of feedback too.
Name:  SkodaRapidnewExterior84398.jpg
Views: 3013
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  SkodaRapidnewExterior84400.jpg
Views: 3013
Size:  78.5 KB
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:00   #198
BHPian

Just had a test drive of the 1.5 TDI DSG, and i must say its a beauty to look at! Though the price seems little steep for the top end Style variant 16.2 L on road Bangalore! 4 years warranty and for an extra 30k services for 4 years on the house! Heart says "DO IT!" , head says ""Are you nuts?"
KevinP is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 19:44   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post

Though the price seems little steep for the top end Style variant 16.2 L on road Bangalore! 4 years warranty and for an extra 30k services for 4 years on the house!
Thank you KevinP for sharing the OTR price in Bangalore.

That is almost an par with the Chevy Cruze and neither of them seem to be having great sales/services.

Quote:
Heart says "DO IT!" , head says ""Are you nuts?"
I have been in this situation once bro and take my word on it, if you don't listen to "DO IT", you may hear voices for the rest of your life that would say "ARE YOU NUTS" !! LOL

Motorbeam has the 2017 Skoda Rapid reviewed:

I was thinking that the new Red and Blue shade looked great on the new Rapid, but boy does that New Grey shade look swanky.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 22nd November 2016 at 19:54.
Vik0728 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:23   #200
BHPian

Quote:
That is almost an par with the Chevy Cruze.
Really ? I don't think Cruze & Rapid are similarly priced. They are from different segment.

Cruze LT - 17.40 lakhs
Cruze LTZ - 20.82 lakhs
Cruze LTZ AT - 22.31 lakhs

Cruze was a good car in 2009/10. But now it's no more an attractive package. New Cruze is still long way I guess. Chevrolet don't seem to be interested in Indian Market.

Quote:
I was thinking that the new Red and Blue shade looked great on the new Rapid, but boy does that New Grey shade look swanky.
Ha Ha..This is the effect on Human Eyes on seeing an object in same color many times. After those boring White/Silver Vento's & Rapid's, these Red/Blue/Grey will make eyes glance at them forever.

Good Going Skoda. You have an excellent car now, but you're After Sales still remains Questionable.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:36   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Really ? I don't think Cruze & Rapid are similarly priced. They are from different segment.

Cruze LT - 17.40 lakhs
Personally, you don't have to "THINK" a lot CarguyNish when a C Segment sedan (Rapid) is just over a lakh cheaper than a D Segment sedan (Cruze).

I never once mentioned that they are from the same segment dude, in fact I was wondering how close these 2 cars were priced when they are from 2 different t segments.

The last I heard/read, there are huge discounts running on the Cruze and considering the Skoda does not have any better A.S.S, I would really consider the former if I was in the market today.
Vik0728 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:42   #202
BHPian

I wonder if they made the suspension stiffer as a part of this facelift, reportedly like Ameo TDI's suspension. In Motorbeam's review linked to, above, it is mentioned it is stiff at low speeds but flat at higher speeds. I could not make much sense out of that, as stiff suspension usually offers flat ride at all speeds.
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 21:02   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Personally, you don't have to "THINK" a lot CarguyNish when a C Segment sedan (Rapid) is just over a lakh cheaper than a D Segment sedan (Cruze).

The last I heard/read, there are huge discounts running on the Cruze and considering the Skoda does not have any better A.S.S, I would really consider the former if I was in the market today.
Yes, when you consider the Top End Rapid at 16 odd lakhs and the Cruze LT at 17.40 lakhs, there is just a difference of 1 lakh between them. But when you consider equipment list, the Cruze is left behind. The only thing Cruze has which the Rapid Lacks is the Passive Entry/Push Start Stop. Apart from that, the Rapid has whole lot of features. If you consider LTZ trim, it's a different story.

Discounts aren't much, just before our PM announced Demonetization, previous evening I had been to Chevrolet Dealership to check out Cruze for a Friend who was looking to upgrade from his 2011 Fabia. This wasn't his primary choice. But due to ads on offers we decided to have a look.

But the shocker came when dealer showed us the Discount Schemes of the November Month. There out of 1.20 lakhs benefit, only 20k was Cash Discount. Remaining 100k was Exchange Bonus. Needless to say, we didn't even bother to drive or consider one. We simply walked out of showroom. Next we managed to check Elantra & Octavia Diesel. He is yet to decide. He might look at Rapid instead, it would be a Natural Upgrade from his Fabia.
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 21:13   #204
BHPian

One thing going right for rapid here is that looks , It cannot be mistaken for an Ameo . While Vento can easily be mistaken for an Ameo . Hope the new facelift for Vento does something that cannot be mistaken for an Ameo
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 22:26   #205
BHPian

Quote:

I never once mentioned that they are from the same segment dude, in fact I was wondering how close these 2 cars were priced when they are from 2 different t segments.
That's something you will find in lot of other cases too, esp. in the below 20 lakh segments. You just can't compare the highest variant with a lowermost variant of another car. If you ignore the features, fuel type, transmission and all that, Zest cost same as Rapid and Octavia is in the price range of Superb too!
prakash_ajp is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 22:47   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Heart says "DO IT!" , head says ""Are you nuts?"
+1 sir. I'm looking for an upgrade and mine will be from 2005 Wagon R to this beast. In Hyderabad it is 15.5L for the top model. I'm confused between Rapid and Creta ( totally different segment to compare though). The pleasure of Auto on Rapid is what pulling me towards it.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 23:42   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I wonder if they made the suspension stiffer as a part of this facelift, reportedly like Ameo TDI's suspension. In Motorbeam's review linked to, above, it is mentioned it is stiff at low speeds but flat at higher speeds. I could not make much sense out of that, as stiff suspension usually offers flat ride at all speeds.
Rapid always had a stiffer suspension and hence had an edge over Vento in the handling department. The stiff suspension usually gives a jolt while going through the potholes at low speeds but at high speeds, it reduces the bob effect and hence will give a flatter ride. I believe this was captured in the Official review too.

Edit:
Quote:
Suspension, Steering & Brakes

What makes the diesel that much more fun to drive is the suspension setup. The suspension is on the stiffer side, but at the same time can take bad roads very easily. At low speeds, the stiffness is felt when going over sharp bumps or completely broken roads. The Rapid tends to jump over them with a very fast rebound, sending a huge thump into the cabin. On the other hand, on regular Indian roads (including mild potholes), you won't even need to slow down. The Rapid simply absorbs these bad roads without breaking into a sweat. It’s much better than the Vento which tends to crash over such roads if you don’t slow down enough. As the speeds pick up, the Rapid shows its true potential. High speed stability is simply brilliant. Body roll is well-controlled and the Rapid flattens any irregularities of the highway. Sudden undulations which would usually throw off any car are taken with aplomb. There was a particular instance when the road suddenly goes up and then down immediately. This would have caused most C segment sedans to literally fly, then bottom out at the drop; the Rapid simply flattened this undulation out at triple digit speeds without complaint. There were no oscillations or unnecessary vertical movements.
Source : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2578141 (Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd November 2016 at 23:47.
swiftnfurious is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:40   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Rapid always had a stiffer suspension and hence had an edge over Vento in the handling department. The stiff suspension usually gives a jolt while going through the potholes at low speeds but at high speeds, it reduces the bob effect and hence will give a flatter ride. I believe this was captured in the Official review too.

Edit:
Source : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2578141 (Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review)
This is a bit surprising as the last time I checked Rapid had the same shock absorbers as Vento does, down to the part numbers. Coil springs is a different story. There are like 30 different types of them in these cars. Every time I see a car high up on the lift, it has different markings on the coil springs indicating different part numbers of the coil springs.

I thought of the term "flatter ride" a bit differently.

As you may know, the early batches of Vento had way stiffer suspension than most other cars of the same segment, and some cars from higher segments too. I love that, and still have that European heavy-duty suspension in my Vento.
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:31   #209
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid to get new TSI engine.

Uncertainty over diesel is pushing Skoda to consider the VW Vento's 1.2-litre TSI petrol engine for the Rapid.

Quote:
Skoda is likely to follow a similar setup as Volkswagen where the ageing 1.6-litre unit will be relegated to only the manual models and the new engine will be offered as an automatic only. However, the current torque convertor six-speed gearbox will be replaced with a new seven-speed DSG unit that has till date been offered only on the diesel Rapid.

Apart from the new engine, Skoda is readying a sportier limited-edition Rapid, badged as the Rapid Monte Carlo.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd November 2016 at 08:33.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:04   #210
BHPian

Personally I feel Rapid/Vento is missing the 1.4 TSI and Jetta the 1.8 TSI. It will be a good performance car if they plonk that 1.4 TSI into Rapid with it's all new looks.
GT145 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote