Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 11:35   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: India
Posts: 151
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Polo facelift spotted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This is frankly becoming ridiculous, now!

I took delivery of my Polo GT TSI in 2015 (May) and in the two years that have gone by, VW has added nearly a dozen bits and bobs such as:

VW should consider offering these accessories at a nominal rate for existing owners who narrowly missed out on these features.
Absolutely Agree! I too took delivery in June 2015 and am also in same boat. What I don't understand is how they can't even put even the basic features in old cars! I would love to have Reverse parking Camera added. The minute I touch the car outside there is a huge danger of losing my warranty!

Last edited by RaghuVis : 21st July 2017 at 11:35. Reason: Spell
RaghuVis is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 11:53   #77
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,420
Thanked: 14,207 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Polo facelift spotted!

Which other manufacturers has done retrofitting of all new parts for the earlier cars sold? Even if it's for a price?

Isn't it too much to expect! You all bought the car because it was the best for your requirements at that point of time.

However, as the market further advances - VW has to keep up. Since they don't have new models coming in, they try to keep pace by adding new features to their existing models. Don't see anything to complain about!

Infact, VW would have become irrelevant today had they not followed this practice. Five years ago - I ignored the Polo during my purchase because it had a rather weak 1.2L engine and almost no features. The car that I chose back then ran out of relevance due to no updates provided later, but five years down the line - VW has steadily improved the product to much - its almost right on top IMO, even though the basic product is now getting 8 years old in the market.

The frustration felt is only because the model and names are not changed. Whereas competition kept changing appearances and names along with features. Polo was once launched to fight the first gen Swift and i20, later fought the second generation Swift and facelifted i20 and is now fighting the Baleno and Elite i20.

It feels like a day and night difference if you compare the current Polo and Vento with the ones that were launched back in 2010. 8 years of the same car and they're selling around 3000 units of it (hatch, compact sedan and sedan) due to this one reason alone! Hats off to VW for continuously upgrading the product as per market demand and trend.

PS - Getting the new generation would have been better any day. Cant deny that. However, it's good that they add not sitting lazily till the new generation hits our market sometime in 2019.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st July 2017 at 12:01.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 13:20   #78
BHPian
 
newtonMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 498
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Polo facelift spotted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Suhaas, there is no auto folding feature for the ORVMs like in the Hyundai cars. They are only electrically folding.

The auto folding part (if you saw/read it anywhere) is done as an aftermarket fitment.
the New MQB cars are all autofolding (example the Octavia 5E)
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 14:17   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,715
Thanked: 2,477 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Polo facelift spotted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's unlikely that they will oblige if I ask them for a set of these 16" wheels.
I am pretty sure you can get those wheels if you are ready to pay the price . It should be an accident repair replacement part for current owners, shouldn't it?
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 19:07   #80
BHPian
 
skyrocket003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Polo facelift spotted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

It feels like a day and night difference if you compare the current Polo and Vento with the ones that were launched back in 2010. 8 years of the same car and they're selling around 3000 units of it (hatch, compact sedan and sedan) due to this one reason alone! Hats off to VW for continuously upgrading the product as per market demand and trend.

PS - Getting the new generation would have been better any day. Cant deny that. However, it's good that they add not sitting lazily till the new generation hits our market sometime in 2019.
My first real experience with Polo came in 2015 when I drove my friend's 2011 Polo from Chennai to Pondicherry. I was wowed by the experience. Stability, linear power delivery, comfort, that lovely steering.

Come Dec 2016 when I got my own Polo and boy did I notice the differences between the 2. The even chunkier steering wheel, the new ICE system, and it looked much better aesthetically. Could be due to his old Red car and mine being the new candy white but I just loved the way VW have kept improving the car and kept it contemporary.

So you are spot on when you say they are not lazily sitting around there like some manufacturers just waiting for the next gen and doing not much to their current models apart from those foolish special editions & sticker jobs.
skyrocket003 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:47   #81
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Panaji, Goa
Posts: 17
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Polo facelift spotted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, as the market further advances - VW has to keep up. Since they don't have new models coming in, they try to keep pace by adding new features to their existing models. Don't see anything to complain about!

Infact, VW would have become irrelevant today had they not followed this practice. Five years ago - I ignored the Polo during my purchase because it had a rather weak 1.2L engine and almost no features. The car that I chose back then ran out of relevance due to no updates provided later, but five years down the line - VW has steadily improved the product to much - its almost right on top IMO, even though the basic product is now getting 8 years old in the market.

The frustration felt is only because the model and names are not changed. Whereas competition kept changing appearances and names along with features. Polo was once launched to fight the first gen Swift and i20, later fought the second generation Swift and facelifted i20 and is now fighting the Baleno and Elite i20.
VW definitely has done a good job, considering the Polo/Vento were amongst the most under-equipped cars in their segments at launch and now they are at or near the top despite being the same generation. The only fly in the ointment is that 1.2 MPI engine that just doesn't belong in an otherwise high-quality product like the Polo. That engine got panned for its wheezy performance since the days of the Fabia's launch back in 2008, let alone 2017. That engine alone was the reason we chose to go for a Maruti Ignis Zeta petrol MT instead of a Polo Comfortline despite significant differences in build quality and similar pricing and equipment.
kpower11 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 17:31   #82
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,005
Thanked: 6,160 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Polo facelift spotted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which other manufacturers has done retrofitting of all new parts for the earlier cars sold? Even if it's for a price?

Isn't it too much to expect! You all bought the car because it was the best for your requirements at that point of time.
Our very own Maruti Suzuki obliged when a friend walked into the dealership with a request for the Ciaz's 16" wheels for his 2012 Swift.

In fact, they were ready to swap the front bumper to the one of the face-lift but he declined.

When we owned our Ikon 1.6 ZXI, we requested Cauvery Ford to give us the SXI bumpers, grille, headlights and tail-lights, and they happily obliged.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but margins on cars are very small. Dealerships make more money by selling parts and accessories. With that being the case, Volkswagen, as a goodwill gesture if nothing else, should make these accessories available to existing owners. I know several people who would be willing to to buy them, and VW will stand to make a killing!

So, the short answer to your question:

Quote:
Which other manufacturers has done retrofitting of all new parts for the earlier cars sold? Even if it's for a price?

Isn't it too much to expect!
is... NO!

It's not too much to expect.

So let me tweak the nature of my gripe, just a touch.

I'm miffed, not just because they have added these features. As you have rightly pointed out, they are well and fully entitled to do it (after all, how else do they update a model that's been around for donkey's years?), but why deny existing customers the opportunity to upgrade their cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, as the market further advances - VW has to keep up. Since they don't have new models coming in, they try to keep pace by adding new features to their existing models. Don't see anything to complain about!

Infact, VW would have become irrelevant today had they not followed this practice. Five years ago - I ignored the Polo during my purchase because it had a rather weak 1.2L engine and almost no features. The car that I chose back then ran out of relevance due to no updates provided later, but five years down the line - VW has steadily improved the product to much - its almost right on top IMO, even though the basic product is now getting 8 years old in the market.

PS - Getting the new generation would have been better any day. Cant deny that. However, it's good that they add not sitting lazily till the new generation hits our market sometime in 2019.
I wholly agree with every thing else!

The weak 1.2, 3-pot mills (both petrol and diesel) needed to go. Thankfully, the diesel is no longer an option.

And just like what Hyundai had done with the i20, VW has slowly but steadily removed little bits from the car over the years. My GT for instance, does not come with split-rear-seats, the older ones used to. In fact, would you believe it if I told you that there is no boot light!?
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 17:49   #83
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,420
Thanked: 14,207 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Polo facelift spotted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So let me tweak the nature of my gripe, just a touch.

I'm miffed, not just because they have added these features. As you have rightly pointed out, they are well and fully entitled to do it (after all, how else do they update a model that's been around for donkey's years?), but why deny existing customers the opportunity to upgrade their cars?

I wholly agree with every thing else!
That is true and agreed.

However, our market has not developed as much IMO. Parts like alloy wheels, bumpers etc might be more easily accessible and in demand than the functional parts that you (and us as BHP'ians) look forward to.

For an example - If Toyota gives an option for existing Innova owners to upgrade to Crysta looks, many will lineup. They will want to make their old cars feel like the new and more costly model. How many will request for the 5 additional airbags option? Only a very small percent.

Thankfully for the VW owners, atleast a lot of parts are available in the global market (OEM included) and are compatible. There is a good reason why a lot of DIY talent is within VW owner group.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd July 2017 at 17:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Volkswagen Vento Facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched volkman10 The Indian Car Scene 281 23rd July 2017 22:35
Volkswagen Polo GTI @ Auto Expo 2016 Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 310 15th July 2017 18:07
Volkswagen launches 2016 Polo with additional features Rajeevraj The Indian Car Scene 111 25th November 2016 19:20
Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift RavenAvi The International Automotive Scene 29 16th July 2014 10:30
Volkswagen Polo specs. EDIT : 11,111,111th Polo rolls off in Pune (Pg. 18) sidindica The Indian Car Scene 375 23rd February 2010 18:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks