Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st July 2017, 18:27   #481
BHPian

Default Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Where in Mumbai does this happen?

I lived in Mumbai between April 2012 and January 2017 in Goregoan East for the first two years and the rest in Powai.

I had a UP registered car drove it 27-28k during the period almost all in the City. I was stopped only once for just the out of state number (late 2016) and they let me go when I told them I was leaving Mumbai.
UP is not a ultra low tax state. In Pune I see cars from JH, PY, SK, even CH etc being stopped, KA, UP etc are stopped only if the car is seen plying on same roads for years together. A friend from Bhopal who is in Pune for four months every year once had his papers impounded and address inquiry sent by Pune police to the post office which covers his Bhopal adress. on getting a reply the papers were released.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 19:56   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
UP is not a ultra low tax state. In Pune I see cars from JH, PY, SK, even CH etc being stopped, KA, UP etc are stopped only if the car is seen plying on same roads for years together. A friend from Bhopal who is in Pune for four months every year once had his papers impounded and address inquiry sent by Pune police to the post office which covers his Bhopal adress. on getting a reply the papers were released.

Rahul
I doubt the traffic Police in Pune or Bangalore targets cars from low tax states.
They will collect the same amount if the car owner is forced to pay road tax in their state. Also many times they are just looking for a bribe and an out of state vehicle is an easy target.
Foxbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 20:23   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
With all due respect, may I request you to read the first few pages of this thread to know its significance.

If the Pune police had the time and genuine concern on your friend's case and the righteousness to release the papers without resorting to harassment (may I assume so), it has to be appreciated. However, I believe it is contrary to the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" that our judiciary is based on, putting the onus of proving innocence on the accused.

The topic of motor vehicle taxation rules and the overbearing manner in which RTOs dealt with motorists had been discussed to death on another thread.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:10   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
With all due respect, may I request you to read the first few pages of this thread to know its significance.
I have followed your thread since the begining, my first cousin shifted to Bangalore from Mumbai, and had to pay the tax, even though he was planning to send the car back to his parents in Pune. He was planning to use the car for 6 months after which his company was providing him a car. As he had payed the tax he transferred the car and got MH tax refund, and it was not a easy process. Even I dont drive beyond Hubli / Dharwad for work, as most business folks who travel by road say that trouble starts only South of Chitradurg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
If the Pune police had the time and genuine concern on your friend's case and the righteousness to release the papers without resorting to harassment (may I assume so), it has to be appreciated.
In my friends case the papers were impounded, he did face harassment, but when he had proof of permanent address in Bhopal, that his family stayed there, and that he came every year to Pune only for 4 months, and stayed in a service apartment and not a rented or owned home, the police made him do the verification via post office before releasing his papers.

MH has no rule like KA, so I guess the police had no other option.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 10:03   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Where in Mumbai does this happen?
Almost everywhere. Perhaps you were amongst the lucky few who slipped off their "hawk eyes".

Dreams signal, bhandup, Mangatram signal, bhandup, Airoli toll, Mulund are few to name which fall within 10 kms from Powai, where you claimed to have stayed.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 22:02   #486
Senior - BHPian

This lady got her documents back.

Waseem.
Attached Images

SILVERWOOD is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote