Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th July 2016, 13:54   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?

I took this picture at the time of delivery only to post it here but I noticed that typical with Maruti, this one doesn't have any decals/badging that mentions the presence of ABS.

Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?-20160716_180026.jpg

To double check, I went and checked the steering and could notice the SRS Airbags engraved on it and under the hood was the ABS Module right near the windscreen washer tank .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 20:05   #77
BHPian

It was only a matter of time before reports like these start appearing on media:

Quote:
The carmaker offers airbags and ABS along with 11 models (standard or optional) and as per the data that was provided by the brand, only 37 per cent of its customers look forward to the safety measures such as airbags and ABS with EBD. But there are some cars (Baleno, S-Cross, and Vitara Brezza) that this brand offers which are already loaded with safety features as standard.
Source: https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...sh-list/26139/

Quote:

The Alto, which accounts for nearly 16 per cent of Maruti’s domestic sales, is offered with an optional driver airbag. Only a meagre 5 per cent of the model’s buyers opted for the feature, which costs an additional Rs 6,000. The number is only slightly better with WagonR customers, with 15 per cent of them opting for dual airbags. Combined, the WagonR and Alto contribute to around 30 per cent of Maruti Suzuki’s sales.
Source: https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ures-19143.htm

Another Source: http://www.cartoq.com/indians-dont-c...-marutis-data/
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53763438.cms

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 19th August 2016 at 20:09.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 20:40   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
It was only a matter of time before reports like these start appearing on media:
I am sure these numbers are much higher than the previous years. It's a mindset change - give it some time.

I just hope that Maruti advertises this a little more - pay 6000 extra and get an airbag !
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 20:47   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

What I would be more interested to know is whether that number was counted based on inquiries/requests or cars delivered?

I'm willing to bet the former is far higher than the latter, given the variety of ways Maruti Suzuki dealers try to cajole and arm-twist potential buyers into buying non-option variants. Plenty of examples on this very thread.

Statistics can always be made to look and say what you want them to, so I'm not buying those at face value.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th August 2016 at 20:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 21:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am sure these numbers are much higher than the previous years. It's a mindset change - give it some time.

I just hope that Maruti advertises this a little more - pay 6000 extra and get an airbag !
I am sure nobody would mind paying extra 6000 for an airbag. Maruti should encourage people to go for it and create awareness about additional safety features.

But what happens is :

SA about airbag : Saar, no need of airbag in city driving!!

SA about ABS : Useful only for high speed driving and we don't have roads for it!!
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 22:35   #81
BHPian

One of my friend booked a Swift LXI(O). He got frustrated after waiting for 3 months and cancelled the booking. No help from dealership on the probable delivery date. Guess Maruti is too busy with the Brezza and Baleno
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 23:54   #82
BHPian

And here comes the most anticipated statement from Maruti Suzuki.
A check mate move and a well planted one.

http://www.cartoq.com/indians-dont-c...-marutis-data/

Create a situation and put a blame on us the buyers, that we Indians don't care about safety and only run after Kitna Deti Hai!

Common Maruti Suzuki!
Can we make our noise heard to counter this misleading statement?

Exerpts :
The data released by Maruti says that buyers don't give a damn about safety features, even if the said feature is very affordably priced. For instance, Maruti offers a driver's side airbag across Alto 800 variants. Maruti says that only 5% of Alto 800 buyers opt for the optional airbag, which is priced at just 6,000 Rupees.

To think of so many Altos on Indian roads without a basic safety feature such as an airbag is unnerving. Even in case of the WagonR, another top seller, only 15% of buyers opt for the airbag equipped variant. For its part, Maruti offers airbags either as standard or as an option on almost all its cars sold in India, barring the Gypsy and Omni.

However, only 37% of buyers opt for cars that have ABS and Airbags. In fact, most of this 37% is made up of the Baleno and Vitara Brezza; two Maruti cars that come with safety features as standard. Car buyers in India don't seem to care for safety features in India. Perhaps this is the reason why car makers build less-safe (when compared to the developed world) cars for the Indian market.

Last edited by navin : 27th January 2017 at 15:39. Reason: various formatting errors
DriveOnceMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 15:23   #83
BHPian

Hi All! I was able to book an Alto VXI AMT (O) model with driver airbag!! This morning only i went to the dealers' stockyard and confirmed it!! To my luck and surprise the optional variant was readily available here in Bangalore!!

Also the dealer has Alto and Celerio in Optional variant for Manual gearshifts. The dealer's name is Pratham Motors, ORR Bangalore. I think it may be helpful for other members looking to book the Alto/Celerio.

Attached is a photo. Apart from SRS Airbag inscribed in the steering wheel, we cant come to know its an optional variant. In this photo, you will have to zoom it and see

Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?-altomin.jpeg
sairamboko is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote