Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th March 2016, 08:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Maruti employees to work 5 days a week (except those in production)

Over 11,000 workers of Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL), except staff from the production division, will work for five days a week starting April 1, an official said on Monday.

The employees include those from administration, supply division, marketing and engineering sections. However, they will have to work an hour extra -- total nine hours -- during working days.

Employees from all three units of MSIL -- from Gurgaon and two Manesar plants -- will get Saturday and Sunday off from April 1.

"The decision was taken by the management after demands from the employees," a company spokesperson told IANS.

Asked why the company took the step, and was it because young employees were quitting their jobs, the spokesperson said: "MSIL has the lowest rate of such quitting. Compared to over 8 percent in other automobile industries, MSIL has just 1 percent."

However, production division workers will continue to get only Sunday as off. They will also work for eight hours -- not nine as the other employees.

Over 6,000 workers, including nearly 1,000 office staff, are in the production division.
SOURCE: http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ril-1/51407897
a4anurag is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 10:01   #2
Default re: Maruti employees to work 5 days a week (except those in production)

I started working in MSIL R&D in 2008, and a five day week has been the demand from all employees (especially in the Engineering vertical) for many many years. Since R&D is in Gurgaon where the assembly shops are also present, it was always deemed difficult to make only the production line staff work for 6 days a week, while the rest of the employees get a two-day weekend.

With the proposed plans to shift entire R&D to Rohtak and 6 day week with long working hours, MSIL was losing a lot of its valued work-force. Now, better late than never, corrective action has been taken -
(1) Shifting of entire R&D to Rohtak is postponed at least till 2020 (vehicle validation teams will have to go I guess, as the huge testing facility has been built up at Rohtak)

(2) 5 day working week. The extra one hour hardly makes a difference as anyway, people generally work late. I left MSIL over 3 years ago. But I doubt if things would have drastically changed.
Viju is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 15:28   #3
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: Maruti employees to work 5 days a week (except those in production)

Having met with several marketing & technical folk from Maruti, I can tell you that it's the hardest working car company I know. The management has a serious work ethic and it's strictly enforced throughout the chain.

Giving Saturdays off is a big, big deal for Maruti. It's happened after 30 years!! But well, when every other corporate gives two-day weekends, things would've gotten difficult for Maruti.

In an attempt to make up for the lost day, they slyly added another hour to each regular working day.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote