Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th September 2017, 11:53   #346
BHPian

Default re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

The engine bay is copy paste from duster as most of the interior component. Its a disaster waiting for Renault if priced above Creta. Duster AWD will be my pick above Creta/Captur any day. It gets intelligent AWD system, ESP and independent rear suspension for exceptional ride quality.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 13:03   #347
BHPian

Renault has to take leaf out of Toyota books on making Crysta's interior premium. Old wine in old bottle - Long way to go Renault..
couswheels is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 15:11   #348
BHPian

I hope not posted already.

A positive review by NDTV CarandBike

Simhi is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 19:01   #349
BHPian

I have a feeling Renault is going to line this up and do a Tiguan. This “premium” positioning is just to buttress the sticker shock on price announcement.
On that note, why does every manufacturer suddenly become premium just before they are about to land shores.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 21:29   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I have a feeling Renault is going to line this up and do a Tiguan. This “premium” positioning is just to buttress the sticker shock on price announcement.
On that note, why does every manufacturer suddenly become premium just before they are about to land shores.
Premium-isation needs to be earned and only works in markets with sub-par competitors. Toyota can get away with it with Innova Crysta - not everyone else.

The idea should have been to upstage the incumbent Creta (which is well loved in ridiculously large numbers by Indians) on both price and value.

I really really hope they will reuse their own playbook for the Kwid - vastly superior product (styling, ground clearance, equipment levels) for amazing pricing, basically at par with the Duster. There isn't much space for them to go above the Duster prices and yet remain at a reasonable discount to Creta.

Last edited by phamilyman : 24th September 2017 at 21:33.
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 07:42   #351
BHPian

Saw the news today in TOI that bookings are open for Captor.

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-61bcf7f6432644d38c516b1cca78dd7a.jpeg

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-f01a3c0e525b4e85b01b6d0075352454.jpeg

Saw that they have mentioned something about smart access card. What is that? Something like keyless entry?
TorqueyTechie is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 07:47   #352
Team-BHP Support

There are two aspects of being premium. Firstly being loaded with all that technology can offer. And secondly (more importantly) the simplicity of elegance. That feeling of what you have is good.

While most products cater to the first part. Its the second where they come short. Looks like its the case here too. I have not seen the product and hence will wait for my conviction.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 07:48   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Saw that they have mentioned something about smart access card. What is that? Something like keyless entry?
Just a key that looks like a card!

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-screenshot_2017092507482443.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 08:31   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just a key that looks like a card!

Attachment 1679524
It's part of keyless entry.

In other keyless entry cars, the remote has to be in the car. Here the smart card is like remote and needs to be placed in a slot beside the push button start to start/stop the vehicle.

Hope I'm correct.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 25th September 2017 at 08:42.
vvrchandra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 11:45   #355
Senior - BHPian

People who find the the C Pillar kink/dual tone applique to be odd/over-styled can do some like this. (Apply a black vinyl to straighten out the design).

Note: Edited in MS Paint. Looks much more SUVish now

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1-1.jpg
abhishek46 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 11:57   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, the interiors are a big letdown for the segment. Ergonomic issues & lack of attention to detail too.
Disappointing to hear.

The most competitive segment which is growing in leaps and bounds in the past 3-odd years is the Rs 11-17 lakhs compact/full-blown SUV segment. The buyer in this segment will spend all of his/her time in the cabin and has grown to become quite demanding in terms of quality, comfort, features and overall in-cabin ambience.

Most recent launches haven't compromised on these aspects, be it the Tata Hexa, Jeep Compass, etc., and comparatively it seems like Renault is still a decade behind. Considering the "premium" positioning of the C(K)aptur price-wise, they will need plenty of luck to sell it. A second, more costlier "Duster" might just get a thumbs down from the target audience.

Let's see how the sales numbers pan out after 6 months from the Captur's launch date.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 12:30   #357
BHPian

I believe the dashboard is the worst one in the >15 Lakh bucket. The car exterior looks good but I dont understand why anyone will every buy this over a duster. I think I would choose a Nexon over this one anyday. (recency effect )
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 12:37   #358
BHPian

I like the Captur and how it looks but I feel it is going to be failure mainly because of its looks. It looks more like a crossover (read S-cross) than an C-Suv (read Creta, Duster). Forget about competing with Creta, I doubt if people would even choose it over Duster mainly because of the looks. We all know what happened between Breeza and S-cross and the same thing would happen here.

Regarding the pricing, though it may not be possible it should be priced in City/Verna range.
jaganpec2002 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 13:22   #359
BHPian

It's a decent looking car in pictures, however Renault could have easily taken on the Hyundai Creta or the soon to be revealed SCross, by adding the AT variant which on so many levels is now a getting to be a necessity given our traffic situations in most cities, as well as considering the estimated price points that it's going to be launched at.
TRANSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 13:33   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
It's part of keyless entry.

In other keyless entry cars, the remote has to be in the car. Here the smart card is like remote and needs to be placed in a slot beside the push button start to start/stop the vehicle.

Hope I'm correct.
This looks exactly like the keyless remote on my Renault Fluence. Yes, there is a slot beside the start/stop button for inserting the card, however this is not necessary. The remote can be in your pocket as well. If you walk away with fob and the car running, a reminder flashes on the console.
dr_anurag is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote