Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th September 2017, 15:35   #361
BHPian

Default re: Renault teases Captur SUV; Now unveiled in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
I like the Captur and how it looks but I feel it is going to be failure mainly because of its looks. I doubt if people would even choose it over Duster mainly because of the looks. We all know what happened between Breeza and S-cross and the same thing would happen here.
I saw a few videos of the facelifted Duster, it can make a big impact if launched now. Wonder why Renault did not bring it to India.
deehunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 15:38   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I saw a few videos of the facelifted Duster, it can make a big impact if launched now. Wonder why Renault did not bring it to India.
As far as I know the face lifted model is scheduled to be released for next year in Europe. After that only they would bring it to India. Yes it does look better than the current model.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 14:44   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

First impressions from AutoPortal.

Disclaimer - As seen recently in the Nexon thread, these guys might not be the most honest guys out there. Use your own discretion while listening.

Edit -

Zigwheels review is out as well -

Edit 2 -

Impressive Ground clearance -

Renault teases Captur SUV; Now unveiled in India-screenshot_2017092614573494.png

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th September 2017 at 15:01.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 15:54   #364
BHPian

It irks me no end when manufacturers themselves throttle their own products with such high potential by shortchanging them with interiors from a bygone era.

This product has so much going for it in terms of style, stance, ground clearance, ride and handling but a customer paying over 17 lakh rupees for the top end variant simply cannot come to terms with that interior. Just look at those hard touch plastics, ergonomically poor armrest without storage space, no Android auto or Apple Carplay, drivers seat set so high that, even at the lowest setting a 6 footer will have headroom issues and the overall look and feel of the interior belongs to several segments below.

In this era where the customer is spoilt for choices i simply cannot fathom how Renault have signed off those interiors. Forget Creta, Nexon has interiors which look a couple of notches above and several times more storage space. The glove box in Captur is so small. The same buggy display from Kwid is shoe horned in to a 17 lakh rupee car. simply wow.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 26th September 2017 at 15:56.
needforspeed88 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 17:20   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
First impressions from AutoPortal.

Good bits over Duster: (From the video)
- Good noise isolation
- No wind noise or tyre noise into the cabin.
- Good refinement levels (same if not better than Duster)

Will need to find whats the AC like. Duster is pathetic.

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2017 at 17:27.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 19:32   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Will need to find whats the AC like. Duster is pathetic.
I thought it was already addressed with the facelift. Wasn't it?
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 20:04   #367
BHPian

Quote:
I've a Duster AMT RXZ of 2016 and don't have any issue with AC cooling.

Only issue I face is fog/mist appearing on the lower central part of windshield on the outside sometimes.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 26th September 2017 at 20:05.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 20:21   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I've a Duster AMT RXZ of 2016 and don't have any issue with AC cooling.
The compressor is very weak. I dont know if that was fixed. (I have the Duster from the first lot; 2012).

Because when I drive in summers on the highways, the cooling capacity is very bad. I need to set to 3 to make it some what effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I think it was fixed to some extent in the facelift. However if i compare it my old figo, the figo's AC is much better any day.
The basic issue is the lack of rear vents for the back seat for what's a pretty big glasshouse. I believe Kaptur addresses that.
Not just vents. The issue I think is compressor capacity against the cabin area it needs to cool.

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2017 at 20:31.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 20:28   #369
BHPian

I think it was fixed to some extent in the facelift. However if i compare it my old figo, the figo's AC is much better any day.

The basic issue is the lack of rear vents for the back seat for what's a pretty big glasshouse. I believe Kaptur addresses that.
vishnurp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 00:58   #370
AYP
BHPian

The Autocar review is up-

AYP is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 04:18   #371
BHPian

The car's redline starts at 4500 RPM.
I'm a bit concerned about real world performance.

PS : Please delete the post, if statement has been made earlier.
sharktale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 04:27   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
The car's redline starts at 4500 RPM.
I'm a bit concerned about real world performance.

PS : Please delete the post, if statement has been made earlier.
Not un-common at all. Diesels can and do red-line at such revv's
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 06:50   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not un-common at all. Diesels can and do red-line at such revv's
My bad then. I have only driven petrol cars, and the Suzuki diesels (redlining from 5000 RPM). Thanks for informing.
sharktale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 09:23   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The Autocar review is up-
Looks like headroom is at a real premium! Even the Zigwheels reviewer was pointing out this issue, even though he calls himself a shortie!

Renault teases Captur SUV; Now unveiled in India-screen-shot-20170927-9.19.04-am.jpg

Renault teases Captur SUV; Now unveiled in India-screen-shot-20170927-9.27.19-am.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th September 2017 at 09:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 10:08   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like headroom is at a real premium! Even the Zigwheels reviewer was pointing out this issue, even though he calls himself a shortie!
This is interesting because the same publication(autocar) paints an entirely different picture of the Russian Kaptur. If you think about it, Russian are pretty big build on average. Most of the russian folks I have known at work from Russia are 5.10 and quite a few are 6 or above. So it's unlikely that a car which was first launched in Russia has a problem with headroom especially for the driver seat. The author of the above review also claims

http://www.autocarindia.com/car-revi...t-drive-403010

Relevant section from the article -
The view out over the low dash is excellent though, the driving position is first-rate and whatís nice is that thereís loads more width in the cabin than youíd expect. Iím also particularly happy with the driverís seat, which is large and supportive. The base is nice and wide, the bolsters on the backrest donít intrude on shoulder space and adjusting the seat is pretty easy too.
This feeling of greater space you get up front is further enhanced by the amount of space you have in the rear. This is due in part to the wider track and the greater overall length over the Duster. The height of the back seat is near-perfect, thereís a good amount of support for the thighs, the backrest is ideally angled and thereís more than sufficient legroom. You can also seat three abreast in greater comfort due to the extra width, and all three passengers get a proper three-point seatbelt each, the centre one popping out from the roof. Thereís no elbow rest in the rear, however, at least on this version, and the rear isnít as airy as the front. This is because the headrests up front are slightly oversized and the rising window line blots out some of the light too.*
But while comfort on the Kaptur is much better than on the Duster, the boot isnít as large. Yes, Renault has added cladding to the insides and made it more streamlined, making it easier to slide big bags in, but at 387 litres, it doesnít have the capacity of the Dusterís, which holds 475 litres. Luckily, the rear seats split and fold, so thereís plenty of flexibility.

From this 2 things may have happened -
1. Renault India royally messed up in adapting the car to Indian conditions and adding a dose of premium to this vehicle. if you ask me, I really like the Russian versions black interiors/seats from pictures.
2. Some of the reviews may be highly biased. if you think about it, Captur competes with Creta and Scross - which is sold by the 2 strongest players in the indian market. The other possibility is that the first review is a paid for review.

Either way I don't really have much faith in our tribe of autojournos. Thought autocar was the best among these but now I am not so sure. The only thing to do is to wait for the team-bhp review and also experience the car yourself to draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 27th September 2017 at 10:10. Reason: clarifying
vishnurp99 is offline   Reply With Quote