Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:00   #1
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 592 Times
Default Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Mercedes Benz India has launched the C250 d along with the 9G Tronic gearbox. So the most powerful diesel sedan with the most number of gears is a Benz. The box is new but the engine is a proven one.
avira_tk is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:17   #2
BHPian
 
shreyak_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meerut
Posts: 168
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched at Rs 40.9 lakh Ex-Delhi

Here's the link of the same :-

Press Release

The specs look yummy on paper especially the torque figures (500nm). They have added a few features as well. It has made an already exciting package more tempting IMO.

EDIT- They have priced it at ₹44.36 lakhs and will be producing it locally.

SOURCE

Last edited by shreyak_ss : 23rd March 2016 at 15:22.
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:48   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,970
Thanked: 21,445 Times
Default re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Mercedes-Benz has launched the C 250 d sedan in India at a price of Rs. 44.36 lakh (ex-showroom, Pune). The car is positioned above the C 200 and C 220 d variants in the C-Class line-up.

Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh-c-250-d_1.jpg

Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh-c-250-d.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:51   #4
BHPian
 
Joxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 258
Thanked: 309 Times
Default re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Mercedes Benz India has launched the C250 d along with the 9G Tronic gearbox. So the most powerful diesel sedan with the most number of gears is a Benz. The box is new but the engine is a proven one.
I'm sorry, but how is 201 BHP the most powerful diesel sedan? Or did you mean that its the most powerful diesel sedan in its class?

When I think of the most powerful diesel sedans in India, the Porsche Panamera & BMW 530d M Sport come to mind first.
Joxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 20:01   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,158
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I'm sorry, but how is 201 BHP the most powerful diesel sedan? Or did you mean that its the most powerful diesel sedan in its class?

When I think of the most powerful diesel sedans in India, the Porsche Panamera & BMW 530d M Sport come to mind first.
It is not even the most powerful in its class. There is a Volvo s60 with 215 horses and a factory sanctioned remap to 230 horses available.
reignofchaos is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 21:27   #6
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 638
Thanked: 592 Times
Default re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I'm sorry, but how is 201 BHP the most powerful diesel sedan? Or did you mean that its the most powerful diesel sedan in its class?

When I think of the most powerful diesel sedans in India, the Porsche Panamera & BMW 530d M Sport come to mind first.
That'll be diesel in its class obviously, not many cross shop a 530d or a Panamera with a C250 d. Just 3 models in the class, the relevant ones are diesels, someone mentioned the volvo s60, that's not exactly what you call a contender.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 23:48   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
That'll be diesel in its class obviously, not many cross shop a 530d or a Panamera with a C250 d. Just 3 models in the class, the relevant ones are diesels, someone mentioned the volvo s60, that's not exactly what you call a contender.
Agreed Volvo doesn't do the numbers of the Mercedes. Even BMW doesn't but any buyer in that segment would have a look at the S60 as well. There are quite a few owners on the forum of the S60 as well so it definitely is a competition even if not a strong one. In way of competition currently only Audi is one to Mercedes.

Edit: Just realized the top end Jaguar XE has 237 hp so that is definitely a powerful car there. However its a petrol.

Last edited by kartavya : 24th March 2016 at 00:06.
kartavya is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 10:37   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,267
Thanked: 78,702 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

In Mumbai, this new C250d runs well over 50 lakhs on the road . That is grossly overpriced. I like the new C, but it's a 35 - 40 lakh car at best. For 50 lakhs, you can get an E250 (after discounts). Heck, earlier this month, a group of 3 lawyers (relatives of relatives) bought the mighty E350 6-cylinder diesel for 56 lakhs each in Gujarat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
9G Tronic gearbox
Still not what one would call a fast-shifting gearbox.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 11:19   #9
BHPian
 
Jeeper1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 229
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Still not what one would call a fast-shifting gearbox.
I think the gearbox is quite good for a diesel. Used to drive my dad's old C250 diesel (the previous generation C-class before he got the new one) and this one is quite a step-up, especially if driven in "sport" or "sport plus" mode. Already done 21,000km and love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh-img20150718wa0006.jpeg  

Jeeper1941 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 17:20   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,969
Thanked: 3,935 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Still not what one would call a fast-shifting gearbox.
I would differ with the opinion here. Yesterday I got to thrash the new E-Class with the same gearbox and the gearbox performs really well even if the shift demand is high with the accelerator floored. It can effortlessly drop from 9th to 4th or even 3rd gear within no time and can get going very fast. Definitely faster than the 7G-Tronic if you are comparing that and way better in Kickdown compared to the DCT. And yes, sports mode is the one in case you need quick shifts. Though comfort is not slower, upshifts are early and a little relaxed so that nothing can be felt inside the cabin. It was nice to see the engine doing sub-2000 RPM at Autobahn speeds Almost idles if we are around the ton which makes it a relaxed cruiser. Push the pedal down and it accelerates in no time. One hell of a drive it was.
audioholic is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 00:28   #11
BHPian
 
Severus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
at a price of Rs. 44.36 lakh (ex-showroom, Pune).
Where are the prices of these things going! Given that this is going to be locally produced, why is the price so high? The whole C lineup is priced at the levels of CBU, which it clearly is not!

I remember, when the GLA or CLA (which one I don't remember) was launched, it had a very high price which was justified by Merc as high due to being a CBU. They said that locally assembly would start in a few months and prices would come down, but locally assembly has been going on for many months now and the prices are exactly the same.

BMW and Audi aren't far behind, which has forced Volvo also to keep a premium pricing in order to be perceived as luxurious. It won't be odd here to say that these Germans are just milking the Indian luxury consumer. High RTO charges and taxes aren't the only culprits anymore, ex-showroom pricing itself has reached ridiculous levels.
Severus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 07:55   #12
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 686
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In Mumbai, this new C250d runs well over 50 lakhs on the road . That is grossly overpriced. I like the new C, but it's a 35 - 40 lakh car at best. For 50 lakhs, you can get an E250 (after discounts). Heck, earlier this month, a group of 3 lawyers (relatives of relatives) bought the mighty E350 6-cylinder diesel for 56 lakhs each in Gujarat.







Still not what one would call a fast-shifting gearbox.

You are lucky GTO. The C 220 is priced well over 50 lakh in Bangalore. I guess it was around the 53-54 lakh mark when I last checked a year ago. With the budgetary increases it must have now gone through the roof. I agree these cars should not be priced above the 40 lakh OTR. The CLA and GLA were priced 47 lakh OTR Bangalore. These must have hit the round figure mark after the budget.
This probably gives Audi room to price it's new A4- 3 litre engine ( if at all it makes it) close to the 50 lakh ex showroom price.
Can somebody make a good car and price it honestly? I think it's time we move on from the badges. We are now being Milked for the badge.
I am now beginning to think pre-worshipped ?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 25th March 2016 at 07:57.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 09:25   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,647
Thanked: 6,060 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Nice to see Mercedes catering for the enthusiasts too. With the more potent gearbox, this time the C250s time to a 100 has a large improvement. Since this is obviously to take on the 3 series M sport, Mercedes should have given this the AMG sport body kit and wheels and made it a complete package.

This is one car I want to take for a spin to see how the 9 G tronic and the engine are paired.

All that apart, it would still be the 3 series M sport for me.
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 20:21   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 18
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C250d launched at Rs. 44.36 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
Where are the prices of these things going! Given that this is going to be locally produced, why is the price so high? The whole C lineup is priced at the levels of CBU, which it clearly is not!

I remember, when the GLA or CLA (which one I don't remember) was launched, it had a very high price which was justified by Merc as high due to being a CBU. They said that locally assembly would start in a few months and prices would come down, but locally assembly has been going on for many months now and the prices are exactly the same.

BMW and Audi aren't far behind, which has forced Volvo also to keep a premium pricing in order to be perceived as luxurious. It won't be odd here to say that these Germans are just milking the Indian luxury consumer. High RTO charges and taxes aren't the only culprits anymore, ex-showroom pricing itself has reached ridiculous levels.
Was just talking to a Merc salesman, and he agreed too. Just a data point: When the Audi A4 (B7) was discontinued in favor of the B8 in 2012, the price went up from ~32 lakhs OTR Pune (for the normal 2.0 TDI) to almost 40 lakhs, and when they retuned the engine to produce 177 BHP (in the current avatar, from the earlier 140 BHP), it went to ~48 lakhs!
Similarly with the 3 series. But the Merc simply beat them all! They took the price of the 220d from the 32-33 L range directly to 50 + lakhs (OTR)! Note that in all this the engine has remained exactly the same. No matter HOW similar the C-class looks to the new S-class, I think this still is too much of a premium!
What they're doing is I guess moving (or trying to move) the C class / A4 / 3 series higher up the chain and moving other 'lesser' models to take their place (at least seems to be their strategy).
The CLA / A3 and 1 - Series seem to be taking their place in the value chain (or at least it looks like that's how to want it to be). The 1 - Series never really clicked for BMW like say the A3. But that's a different story ...
This really looks absurd, the way they're going. But who's going to complain? The numbers don't argue. They're continuing to grow ...
nsubrama2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class launched in India at Rs. 58.90 lakh Turbanator The Indian Car Scene 20 15th June 2017 23:14
2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched at Rs 40.9 lakh Ex-Delhi Tushar The Indian Car Scene 116 20th July 2016 16:54
Mercedes-Benz CLS 250 CDI launched in India at Rs. 76.50 lakh Aditya The Indian Car Scene 6 9th April 2016 20:53
Mercedes GLA-Class launched at Rs 32.75 lakh tbppjpr The Indian Car Scene 28 13th November 2014 12:50
Mercedes Benz B-Class Diesel launched at 22.6 lakh rupees ex-Mumbai JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 17 22nd April 2014 12:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks