Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd January 2018, 15:06   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030

Interesting topic that always puts me into trouble with EV promoters.

This is the wikipedia extract:
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 408
Size:  22.2 KB

Our dependence on non-renewable forms is still over 75% with hardly any EVs on road. Our electricity requirement will easily double with an added electric car per household. Burning more coal / gas elsewhere to drive clean cars in the cities is not really an alternative. We after all have one planet.

How in this equation does renewable forms answer our energy demand!
subramanyam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:47   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramanyam84 View Post

Our dependence on non-renewable forms is still over 75% with hardly any EVs on road. Our electricity requirement will easily double with an added electric car per household. Burning more coal / gas elsewhere to drive clean cars in the cities is not really an alternative. We after all have one planet.
Your concern is right, one planet and somewhere we need to generate the electricity. But, the trick is somewhere else:

1. Even on a same planet, the actual harm would be much lesser when the source of pollutant is far away. And, with newer Super Critical Power Plant the efficiency level and control over pollutants are very encouraging.

2. Let me not talk about the huge cost advantage (saving foreign exchange) we'll have and reduction in our dependencies on imports.

Quote:

How in this equation does renewable forms answer our energy demand!
1. For equivalent power generated using even fossil fuel for an EV, the resulting pollution would be much lesser (I guess, half at least!) So, for running your petrol/diesel car for equal distance as compared to an EV, you may end up polluting twice as much, even with the power for EV coming from a coal based power plant.

2. Mix of source of power progressively tilting towards renewable energy, hence more share of power for EV from even less polluting source.

Hope I tried to make sense.

Last edited by kbishwa : 3rd January 2018 at 16:49. Reason: Grammar
kbishwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 17:16   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Even on a same planet, the actual harm would be much lesser when the source of pollutant is far away. And, with newer Super Critical Power Plant the efficiency level and control over pollutants are very encouraging.
Here we're looking at separating residential settlements from powerplant zones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Hope I tried to make sense.
I completely agree with your view. It surely is the way to go where pollutants are contained and not emitted to air without treatment. I probably didn't drive my message clearly enough. The problem I see is in implementing the whole thing by 2030. It is only 12 years away. Today, I doubt if powerplant emissions are well treated.

I do support the drive for clean air. Badly in need, being a resident of Bangalore. I for one would applaud if it takes shape. Somehow I feel 2030 looks a bit too ambitious.

Regards,
Subramanyam
subramanyam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:03   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I feel 2030 looks a bit too ambitious.
The ministry already backtracked, pls see few earlier posts

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4332278 (Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030)
kbishwa is offline   Reply With Quote