Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th March 2016, 09:38   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Car Dealers cannot imprint their names on number plates!

Interesting article in today's TOI. It's surprising to know how they have now caught up with this practice which is being going since decades.

Quote:
The consumer redressal forum recently held an automobile dealer guilty of flouting the Central Motor Vehicle Rules for imprinting its name and phone number on the number plate of a car sold to a Thane woman.
District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum president B S Wasekar and member H K Bhaise ruled that the complainant, Leena Ganguly, deserved to be compensated by Skoda Autobhan in Prabhadevi for giving a "fancy" number plate while selling the car and directed it to pay her Rs 22,000.

Ganguly told the forum, through her counsel, that she had purchased a four-wheeler from the dealer on March 31, 2011, and its number plate was not as per the RTO norms. On June 9, 2014, the Thane traffic police intercepted her car and sent her driver to jail for the "fancy" number plate. On learning that her address was registered as Vasai instead of Thane, she filed a complaint demanding that the dealer replace her car and give her the proper documents, along with a compensation of Rs 8 lakh.
Source & Full Article

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2016 at 10:24. Reason: Excerpt + link to article :). Thanks for sharing!
v12 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 09:49   #2
BHPian

Default re: Car Dealers cannot imprint their names on number plates!

Well that is OK. But it cannot stop them from printing their names and phone numbers on rear windshield and boot lids.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2016 at 10:25. Reason: Typo
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 10:38   #3
BHPian

When I had booked my new car with the dealer, I had included the subject point as one of my requirements. Apart from this I had also mentioned them not to paste any stickers anywhere on the car with the exception of the next service due info sticker. Although this was respected, the dealer name was still on the rear number plate. I insisted on having the dealer name removed from the number plate before I took the delivery of the car from their showroom. After a little dilly dallying, the dealer finally obliged.

Even when I give the car for the regular scheduled services, I make it a point to mention in my "inputs to service centre" note that no pasting of sticker is permitted.
bhandary is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 12:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Funny how "Skoda" remains in the wrong news always! This is a good verdict and probably an expensive one for Autobahn.

I still don't know how many owners know of this rule that the number plate can't have anything else (than the registration number) printed on it. I know of a lot of people who sport team-bhp stickers on the number plate - it's better avoided.

And I was once fined because the number plate was not of designated size; please ensure that's correct as well.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 13:45   #5
BHPian

Good one..! Happy to see that..! I don't need to argue anymore for my right to keep the car clean and to follow rules.

This is how I used to feel while looking at the dealers free advertisements through consumers cost. I had an argument with the Honda dealer while taking delivery of a scooter for my friend, where they billed for the seat cover with their names printed on them. I told them were are not going to pay for it, else remove it, I'm not interested to advertise your business for free.

It's really annoying to see the "this is how it should be" things had to be pushed by court orders.
EPMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 20:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Traffic Police will make millions if they simply fine vehicles with illegal plates. Every third vehicle in BLR has illegal ones with some unreadable at 3 meters!
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 21:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Well that is OK. But it cannot stop them from printing their names and phone numbers on rear wind shield and boot lids.
But you can stop them from doing anything like that since the car is your property. Personally I wouldn't take delivery of a car which has any stickers pasted on it, whether from the manufacturer or dealer.
rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 23:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

The rule was clear for long IMO. Delhi traffic police keep making money by using this rule for ages now. Good that someone actually used law to curb this practice.

I removed TBHP sticker from my last Alto's registration plate six years ago because of the rule.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 07:57   #9
BHPian

The only thing you need to ask the dealers is this " how much are you going to pay me to advertise your company on my car". Take it up to the manager as well if needed and I'm sure it will be taken care off immediately. The car is your property and any advertisements on it need to be approved / paid for to you.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 08:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate the order. Number plates really need to stay clean.

Personally never thought of it as a big deal if the small tiny dealer sticker was on the rear windscreen, they need to ask, mine did.

Abit OT : But isn't it going too far by letting your driver be jailed instead of paying the penalty! Eventually he gets nothing but a criminal record to his name. Pretty harsh unless compensated (which he didn't seem to've got) IMO.

Also, I don't understand what warranted the complainant to demand a new car altogether! Just because one is resourceful & has access to legal recourse, doesn't justify over reach.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 27th March 2016 at 08:49.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 08:43   #11
BANNED

A clean number plate law was always there, just never enforced. Just like various fonts & funny designs used on number plates are rarely fined.

Dont see how an HC order will change anything unless RTO bothers to enforce.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 15:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Interesting article in today's TOI. It's surprising to know how they have now caught up with this practice which is being going since decades.
Interesting judgement and thanks for sharing it with us. It seems among the three pillars of our vibrant democracy, viz, Legislative, Executive and Judiciary, the later one is upholding the rights of the common man of this country. The practice of dealers pasting their dealership names on the rear windshield is quite common and few dealers are pasting their names on the registration plates.

As per CMV Rules 50 & 51:

a) Registration letters and numbers shall be in black on white background for two wheelers / LMV Cars and Black letter on Yellow background for commercial
vehicles.
b) The sizes of the Number Plate and also the letters shall be as given in the
pamphlet for each category of vehicle.
c) Display of Number Plate in the front and rear side of the vehicle shall be as shown in the pamphlet.
d) Fancy lettering is not permitted.
e) Other names, pictures, arts should not be displayed.

It is also seen very frequently that registration plates are in the local language of the state, which is not allowed as per CMVR. Only english has to be used for registration mark and figures in aerobic numerals.

The size of the number plate should be as follows:

1. For two and three wheelers : 200 x 100 mm
2. For light motor vehicles / passenger car : 340x 200 mm or 500 x 120 mm
3. For medium / heavy commercial vehicles : 340 x 200 mm

Respect for the court for coming heavily on dealers using the car owners property for the marketing of their dealership.
Attached Images

MDED is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 02:48   #13
BHPian

They'll find a way around this. Here, nothing should be on number plates, not even any kind of stickers/tags etc, but the dealers have found a way to still advertise - by using number plate frames. It's extremely rare to see a new car without number plate frames. Maybe the same can be done in India as well, it's a good way to get the information across without cluttering the actual number plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Dealers cannot imprint their names on number plates!-20160328_072917.jpg  

Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 17:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Car Dealers cannot imprint their names on number plates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Well that is OK. But it cannot stop them from printing their names and phone numbers on rear windshield and boot lids.
So true.

When i bought my i10 i had a clause with them not to sticker my car.

But they did it and i earned a free polish from the dealer

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...of-review.html (Got a black eye! i10 AT Asta (Kappa engine) With Sunroof Review)
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote