Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2016, 15:03   #31
BHPian

Default Re: March 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

My guess is that the deliveries of Zica/Tiago in March could have been affected in a big way due to the month long Labor strike at their Sanand plant.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 15:55   #32
BHPian

Ford really needs to improve its marketing, We were ready to buy figo automatic with cash down after a test drive. we asked for final quote to be mailed and since 3 weeks they have not bothered to call back nor send an email. No wonder they have such dismal sales.
Old 13th April 2016, 17:23   #33
BHPian

Maruti:
There is an abnormal increase in Celerio numbers fro this month. Dealers have been running offers on it. it and its siblings will be tested by Tiago in the coming months, and Kwid 1.0 in the festive season, so expect more offers. Ciaz is the new leader of the segment as it continues fighting for the top spot with City.

Hyundai:
Nothing that surprises. Hyundai is able to fight of Honda and Maruti quiet well in premium hatchback segment, but is absolutely getting decimated in the C segment by the same 2 companies. Creta is another success story. Should be preparing for BR-V launch.

Mahindra:
KUV100 sales are gradually increasing. Says a lot of our market. Make anything SUVish and you would be able to sell it.

Renault:
Renault is facing Ford like situation. Only one car is successful at a time. New Duster looks good as ever on the outside but just lacks the finese brought in by Creta. BR-V launch should make life even more difficult for it.

Honda:
There has been a sudden spike in number of Brio and Mobillio which suggests to me that upgrades for both are close by and this spike is to move away the existing components, just like Quanto had a spike last month. Mobillio will be replaced by BR-V and Brio should get the same interiors as refreshed Amaze soon.

Tata:
Tata's cars are struggling to break the 2k mark. Which is why dealers would be very happy with Tiago launch and the prospect of upcoming vehicles. Now only if Tata were to back that good price with good consistent service and reliable car, Tiago might be able to get and sustain good numbers, and lay the platform for Kite, Nexon and Hexa.

Toyota:
Toyota has a lacklustre month seeing dips in Innova and Fortuner. While Innova should pick up after May 3 launch of Crysta, need to see how it goes for Fortuner, and if Endeavour which is very close to its number is able to challenge it.

Ford:
Aspire and Figo pull in shocking poor numbers for excellent cars. Endeavour is doing decently. While its still below Fortuner, it has gotten quite close to it.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 17:54   #34
BHPian

Maruti – Top 4 are Maruti. Should we say more!

Elite I20 – There is no displacing the I20 in the B2 segment. Baleno is not even a competition and will settle around 6-8k.

Kwid – What sales! Has clearly upset the cart in the entry level hatchback segment. Renault just has to see that there is no backlog.

City – Downward trend. Ciaz is giving stiff competition.

Vitara Brezza – Just 5k units? Given the hype I think Maruti expected more.

Ecosport – Good move by Ford and the same has reflected in sales. I would anyday choose the ecosport over brezza.

Aspire/Figo – The advertising worked but not as much as Ford would have liked. With these numbers is it the time to call it a dud?

MOM sales/Top gainers Brio, Duster and Mobilio – surprising sales for these models. What happened? Traditionally they have been laggards.

Quanto – I want to meet that guy!

KUV 100 – Nice numbers to begin with. Let’s see if Mahindra can sustain them.

TUV300 - Constant downward trend in sales. Have the buyers moved to KUV? I think this is likely to get lost in the crowd. Mahindra should be happy with 2.5k PM.

S- Cross – Consistent sales. This is one car I like. Very understated styling. Very Unmarutish! Screams premium.

Volkswagen – Sales of almost all models except the Vento has doubled in March.
AKTRACK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 18:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Vitara Brezza – Just 5k units? Given the hype I think Maruti expected more.
Considering dispatch to dealers started only from March 25th onward, 5563 for Brezza is a good start. Also they had a production loss due to the unrest ( Jat agitation) which would have hampered the numbers too.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 19:31   #36
BHPian

Now that the Abarth figures are out, we know why nobody bothers to launch an enthusiast car in India!
A car with Sticker price of 9.95L ex-showroom selling like a halo car with 40 units a month (highest in last three months) is something to ponder about.
Of course there are several reasons why many do not want Abarth - Fiat's poor reach, less marketing, bad gear box, poor equipment levels etc. But apart from all that, what stands out is this: nobody seems to want extra BHP at an extra cost! (40 / 249144 roughly equals 0)
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 21:38   #37
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the wonderful compilation and analysis.

I am not sure about the criteria for the different segments. It would be great if someone can specify or point out a thread/post for the same.

Also wondering whether different segments/categories can be introduced in the main compilation or added separately as a footnote to the main compilation. Taking the example of C2 segment, i can see at least 3 sub segments/categories i.e. SUV, Mini SUV and Sedans. Further categorization would make the information more relevant and user friendly.
Old 13th April 2016, 22:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB@TVMBHP View Post
My observations.
* Kwid has become a super hero for renault. 10k mark is not far away. Really awesome product by renault comparing the competition.
* 35 plus LC? Toyota really have to show justification to indian market. Localised production of the entire range is needed. Even mercedes is locally assembling the maybach here.
*Fortuner feeling the heat of the awesome Endy.
* Tata in 6th spot is shocking. Really looking forward for their come back with the tiago and nexon. I expect the nexon to bring a good reputation to the brand. I do really hope the after sales service is taken care of.
* Really weird seeing the aspire and figo in this manner. Quite a good product and is also well priced.
* Fiat!! The exit door is near by.
*Chevy- must really stop selling the outdated products and bring proper american products. Even the trailblazer was brought too late at a really high price tag. Would love to see the tahoes and suburbans in a chevy showroom here if they do come with a diesel rather than the guzzling big block v8's.

The word struggling used for endevour sales is quite a joke and inappropriate . Its priced at 37 lakhs OTR Trivandrum , as i've checked it just a week back. And such an expensive product selling at 385 odd units is commendable.
Your point is not very amusing. The price range for models is between 30-36 here in Chennai and it is similar in most places on par with competition. We already own one here and the bookings have been very good. I was just trying to understand why the numbers are still less considering the bookings. It may be because of the dispatches as some friends suggested here in the forum.
Old 14th April 2016, 10:01   #39
BHPian

• Maruti is growing at a much higher rate than Hyundai, Mahindra and Honda. It's more impressive because growing at a good rate is much more difficult when you are already selling in higher numbers.
  • What I got from many dealers is, Maruti couldn't produce enough 1.3 diesel engines and that is one of the reasons for low Baleno sales. Each nexa dealer has many bookings but they are not getting the cars from Maruti. Most of the Baleno deliveries are for petrol models only. Brezza's success is not helping the cause either.
  • Hyundai has got 3 blockbusters in elite i20, grand i10 and creta. They may not be growing at a rapid pace, but all their models are a bit more costly, which makes them financially strong. Verna is only their worry, especially since they ruled that segment not long ago.
  • Renault kwid is another great success story.
  • Tata has some good products but I am afraid Tiago will go the same way as Zest and Bolt.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 11:23   #40
BHPian

Didnt realize that the Amaze did/does more numbers than the Jazz. Is Honda missing some share in the premium hatch segment? I surely do think so.

Baleno numbers did surprise me as well but like everyone knows its not the dwindling customer interest being the reason but rather the factory outputs.

Renault does seem to be on a raise. i do hope they do grow bigger and bring in their other offerings from European market and diversify our market.

FIAT and FORD have had a lesson to learn for quite some time and I think it reached a point where general people might have reached a conclusion that figo twins/punto are a dud inspite of them being good products. I think it would be really hard for them to pickup after not doing well during introductory months. I would be more than happy to be proved wrong going on

I have a strong feeling Tiago would do close to 5000 units a month going by the general interest on the product and the advertising going on. The price point couldnt have been better as well unlike the BOLT.
vamsi2390 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 11:53   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Baleno numbers did surprise me as well but like everyone knows its not the dwindling customer interest being the reason but rather the factory outputs.
Maruti Suzuki's production woes hit sales of Baleno-

The company is running plants to full capacity; increasing output beyond this will mean sacrificing volumes of other models.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1400118_1.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 12:59   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Now that the Abarth figures are out, we know why nobody bothers to launch an enthusiast car in India!
I disagree. Anything that Fiat sells in India is a flop, hence the Abarth's market performance cannot be conclusive. Fiat can't even sell a 6 lakh hatchback; we surely can't say that 6 lakh hatchbacks are a flop category in India?

1. The Polo GTs are selling very well. Apparently, VW themselves were surprised at the market's response to the GTs. So many years down and they're still investing in expensive TV ads for the GT.

2. Let Maruti or Hyundai launch a Rs. 10 lakh performance variant. That'll be the true test of whether performance variants can sell in India or not. I believe they have a place. While the numbers obviously won't be as good as the puny 1.2Ls, sales will be enough to justify their presence. I again bring up the Polo GT example. Then, take a look at the other enthusiast vehicle - Mahindra Thar - which sells 600 - 800 copies each month.

I look forward to the Baleno BoosterJet. Hope Maruti doesn't go overboard with pricing it though (as they initially did with the S-Cross 1.6).
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 14:32   #43
BHPian

Thanks for the sales figures and analysis for the month of March, Aditya.

Some observations from my side -

• This is the first time Innova went below 3K mark - Apr '13 was the least when it sold only 3192 units, but now it beats that and we all know the reason behind that. Even though this might have been on expected lines for Toyota, the drop in Fortuner's numbers below 500 mark should be a concern for them since they were raking in huge profits earlier. The last time Fortuner dropped below 500 mark was way back in May '11 when they shipped only 419 units. The drop in Innova numbers helped Tavera to gain a bit, may be due to the taxi market.

• Vitara Brezza has a blazing start but the surprise is the jump in the sales of Ecosport. The price reduction has helped its part and this is going to mostly impact the others like Duster, Terrano, TUV300 since Brezza's waiting period is already running in months. Ecosport is the only product which sells despite the poor marketing team of Ford which says more about the car. Imagine if it is Maruti Ecosport it would be selling in 5 digits.

• Creta continuing its bull run, but I think once the backlogs are cleared it might come down due to over-pricing and the new competition in the form of Brezza.

• Kwid is almost there (for 10K) and with Renault starting the 3rd shift in its production plant in Chennai, expect it breach the mark by next month.

• Kwid's numbers have not affected Alto & Eon much (may be both lost close to 1K units each) but looks like Nano is feeling the heat the launch of Tiago from their own stable is going to make its life difficult further.

• WagonR have once again overtaken Swift - reason could be Swift now has competition within its own stable in the form of Baleno and with the new launch of Brezza. Also WagonR is being picked up in the taxi segment. OLA has launched OLA Micro with Eon, WagonR and Go in its portfolio. And this is the main reason behind sudden surge in sales of Go last month (Feb '16 sales) and now again it back to its usual numbers.

• Talking of taxi segment, the old workhorse Indica is losing its charm in the taxi market with more taxi operators picking up Ritz as an alternative - and this shows in the sales increase of Ritz - jumping to 2.5K level suddenly from 1.5K levels.

• Celerio still continues to sell strong, mostly on the back of AMT - other than that I don't see a reason why one has to choose a Celerio over the competition. Let's see whether Tiago can dent it sales - but I don't think so.

• Other than the surge in sales of Brio numbers, there are no surprises in this segment - with Figo continues to go down despite being a competitive product and KUV100 continues to grow despite being an average product - a very good indication of how much the marketing team can make a difference.

• Elite i20 still remains the king of the Premium hatchback segment, with Baleno's numbers going down with each month after the export of Baleno started.

• Amaze back to its 5K numbers with the help of its new facelift and retains the 2nd spot from Xcent - Aspire continues to struggle.

• Looks like what Mahindra is gaining in TUV300, KUV100, Nuvosport they are losing it in Bolero which was once in the Top 10 consistently but now dropped out. But still the volume of new launches are high which helped them to retain 3rd spot.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 16:03   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Eon not really dropping too many numbers. Hanging on to a steady 5-6000 units.
This may be due to the fact that Eon have been added to OLA Micro fleet - but it might struggle in the upcoming months with the lauch of Tiago which might steel some sales away.

Quote:
[*]The other surprise is the Brio. 2000+ units . Been in 3 digits for several months now. Cannot see any reason for the spurt.
As others suggested, Honda might be clearing the old stock for the upcoming facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
[*]Once selling at 10k units, Bolero has gone down considerably. Who is pushing it down?
I think Bolero is being cannibalized within the same stable itself - TUV300, KUV100, Nuvosport. With numerous options within M&M itself, this might leave the customers confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Ecosport – Good move by Ford and the same has reflected in sales. I would anyday choose the ecosport over brezza.

MOM sales/Top gainers Brio, Duster and Mobilio – surprising sales for these models. What happened? Traditionally they have been laggards.

KUV 100 – Nice numbers to begin with. Let’s see if Mahindra can sustain them.
With Brezza's launch, Ecosport has something really direct to compare against, for the customers looking at Compact SUV category. And this really helped Ecosport's cause and shown to be a VFM with the recent price cut too.

Brio/Mobilio - old stocks getting cleared for facelifts/new launches (BR-V). Duster - Recent facelift.

KUV100 - may be due to clearing the backlogs, but don't know whether they will be able to sustain them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I disagree. Anything that Fiat sells in India is a flop, hence the Abarth's market performance cannot be conclusive. Fiat can't even sell a 6 lakh hatchback; we surely can't say that 6 lakh hatchbacks are a flop category in India?

1. The Polo GTs are selling very well. Apparently, VW themselves were surprised at the market's response to the GTs. So many years down and they're still investing in expensive TV ads for the GT.

2. Let Maruti or Hyundai launch a Rs. 10 lakh performance variant. That'll be the true test of whether performance variants can sell in India or not. I believe they have a place. While the numbers obviously won't be as good as the puny 1.2Ls, sales will be enough to justify their presence. I again bring up the Polo GT example. Then, take a look at the other enthusiast vehicle - Mahindra Thar - which sells 600 - 800 copies each month.

I look forward to the Baleno BoosterJet. Hope Maruti doesn't go overboard with pricing it though (as they initially did with the S-Cross 1.6).
Agree completely. The GTs constitute close to 15-20% of the total sales of Polo which would give a rough number of 300-400 units per month which is a really good number.

Waiting for Baleno RS to gauge the market's reaction to hot hatches and also it would be good if Hyundai can manage to bring in their 1L T-GDI turbo petrol in Elite i20 to counter Baleno RS.

Any idea on the number of Ecoboost's contribution in Ecosport's sales?
Old 14th April 2016, 19:24   #45
BHPian

Hope Ford gains momentum soon.

Last edited by johannskaria : 14th April 2016 at 19:25.
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread