Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th September 2006, 12:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

huh?
We are talking different segments here.
If merc launched the A class at 15 lakhs how many will buy it?
A person who pays 15L for a car affords to pay 2rs/km service costs. A person who pays 7L expects total service costs for the first 50K kms to be around 10000rs at the most.

If Skoda can provide the fabia at 7-8L range with service costs at par with honda/Hyundai/toyota they will sell.

By your logic a second hand BMW can be had for 6 lakh rs, in immaculate condition, so why buy a second hand OHC for 4L, spend 2L more and get a BMW!

Its one thing to buy an elephant and another to feed it.
Old 26th September 2006, 12:55   #17
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
Coming to the skoda fabia.... I think they can surprise everyone with price tag of somewhere close to the current fusion.... then it makes some VFM... unless ofcourse they get their service act together....
No-ways!! I think, the (if by chance launched) Fabia should be priced around 8-8.5L or so.... Now thats one area where you dont wanna enter a car which :

1. Has crap service - which still people dont seem to understand.
2. High price spares - Ditto
3. Rivals are ruling this segment and scoring high in each and every deparment.

Otherwise, as 2l8 said, if there are people who wanna throw away money on impractical car, then you never know .........
Old 26th September 2006, 12:58   #18
DRC
BHPian

If anyone buys a Laura, probably them have bought it for its beautiful DSG, Otherwise I do not see any VFM element in Skoda cars.

About Fabia, I think, Skaoda has already know it will be a "also ran car along with its cousins (read Polo and golf)" in this segment.
Old 26th September 2006, 13:00   #19
BANNED

OK if I have to spell it out I will
It was not for what segment that I made that statement.. it was for the 'DIESEL USP' thing.
I'll still be a fan of Skoda, no matter what people might say, just like there are fans of the Indica and Indigo..
As the saying goes.. to each his own.
Cheers.
Old 26th September 2006, 13:06   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was not for what segment that I made that statement.. it was for the 'DIESEL USP' thing.
Tons of cars sell on their diesel USP and its an accepted fact. Compare the sales figures and see how many people opt for petrol Indicas, Indigos, Innovas, Octavias etc. compared to the petrols?

I am a huge fan of the RS. Also, I will most certainly choose the Octy over the Corolla. But that doesnt change what I think of the Fabia.
Old 26th September 2006, 13:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
1. Space
3. Fuel Efficiency
4. Looks
5. Power
Atleast for the above points (I agree about after-sales service and high cost of spares)... I think you are forgetting that the current Fabia will be replaced by an all-new car early next year, and that is the one that will make it here too. While we don't know exactly what the new Fabia will look like, it will take design hints from the Roomster and Joyster concepts, and there have been numerous artists impressions (some of which have been posted in another thread in this forum).

The new Fabia is also expected to feature the latest TSI (petrol) and PD (diesel) powerplants which should give power and fuel-efficiency to match the competition. And it is supposed to have good interior space while still maintaining compact exterior dimensions.

So when comparing the Fabia to the competition, let us be fair to Skoda by comparing the latest Fabia and not an obsolete ancestor.

BTW, in the other thread someone was asking why Skoda would show the current Fabia at the 2006 auto expo if they are not planning to bring it into the indian market. I don't know, all I can say is that the exact same Fabia was also shown at the 1998 (or was it Jan 1999? I was in my final year at college then and I bused down to Delhi for the auto expo) expo too; so don't make conclusions just based on what was shown at the auto expo.

Last edited by johnjacob : 26th September 2006 at 13:23.
Old 26th September 2006, 13:23   #22
BHPian

IMO, the skoda guys have dug Fabia's grave by not introducing it as intended in 2005. They are too late to cache in on anything unless they have some aces up their sleeve.

Lookswise and performancewise, i think Fabia is decent and it really has to look at the following factors in the order if it has to get it right.

1) Price ( 5.75 to 7 lakhs for diesel) i guess its difficult.
2) Space and some unique features
3) Cost effective spares and better sales and service.

I guess it wont happen overnight and pretty much sums up what would happen.
Old 26th September 2006, 13:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

VW would have given Skoda the go ahead to launch the Fabia in 2004 itself had VW not decided to enter India directly and sell its Golf and Polo models.

If Skoda launches the new Fabia in 2007, I would be interested to know how they would price it. I feel they might bring in the more expensive versions like Combi etc.

>>BTW, in the other thread someone was asking why Skoda would show the current Fabia at the 2006 auto expo if they are not planning to bring it into the indian market. I don't know, all I can say is that the exact same Fabia was also shown at the 1998 (or was it Jan 1999? I was in my final year at college then and I bused down to Delhi for the auto expo) expo too; so don't make conclusions just based on what was shown at the auto expo.
Old 27th September 2006, 05:31   #24
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Skoda delaers are terrible when you visit them just as a potential customer, I have seen huge shouting matches going on between customers and the staff. This will be a major reason why many people will stick to 'safer' options like Honda, Hyundai etc.
Old 27th September 2006, 10:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

if it's ever launched it will sell in the south but only the diesel version..

skoda holds the highest brand value after merc here in andhra pradesh and to an extent in tamilnadu and karnataka..
Old 27th September 2006, 11:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Skoda india has got a luxury manufacturer tag in India which is helping them sell the octavias[diesel engine is another factor] while in countries like europe they have the tag for bringing out cheap cars.The fabia could bring down its brand value and being a hatchback it may not do as well as the octavia.So before risking their brand name they are actually waiting to see indian customer response to pricier hatchbacks like SRV.
Old 8th February 2007, 21:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

This thread was started some time back ,and the skoda fabia has undergone a change but the question is as relevant today as it was earlier,

With the introduction of the swift ddis even if skoda prices the fabia slightly wrong the fabia will go the srv way[mileage no longer remains the usp of skoda engines only].Also now that the logan,the getz crdi,fusion TDCi,Indigo dicor,will also be out very shortly,that means more bad news for skoda.

Ps:The indigo dicor has been launched.
Old 9th February 2007, 12:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
... being a hatchback it may not do as well as the octavia.
The Octavia is a hatchback too - just that most people dont realise it
Old 9th February 2007, 20:48   #29
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
With the introduction of the swift ddis even if skoda prices the fabia slightly wrong the fabia will go the srv way[mileage no longer remains the usp of skoda engines only].Also now that the logan,the getz crdi,fusion TDCi,Indigo dicor,will also be out very shortly,that means more bad news for skoda.

Ps:The indigo dicor has been launched.
Most of the companies are gearing up for the Indian market however many of them are just taking this market very lightly. And Maruti is already ahead of the others in the race. However others are going to give Maruti a good competition for sure. Oh Boy ! Hotter days ahead !!!
Old 9th February 2007, 21:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
The Octavia is a hatchback too - just that most people dont realise it
Its a Notchback and not hatchback.
Closed Thread