Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 18:01   #241
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
In the US, I see a number of pickups with a body built on the bed to make them into an SUV shape. Some are very professionally done, it is hard to make out that it is a pick up in the first place.

I wish someone would come up with the design and process to do this in India. Then we would make a proper looking SUV out of the Dmax for 2-3 lakhs more.
Tata xenon already has a canopy as added accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Isn't that just a canopy? I have seen that on Tata Xenon and I am sure it will be available for Vcross too.

-Ijeet
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
No it's a hard body not a canopy. My manager had one and used to store a lot of stuff in it all the time. Good place to protect the goods from elements.

Maddy
This is my Xenon XT with rear canopy which is MADE IN THAILAND.


More pics here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post3984320 (Isuzu D-Max vs Tata Xenon Crew Cab vs Mahindra Imperio)

Some from google baba.
Fiber canopy
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-isuzudmaxhardtopcanopy3.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-dmax_medium.jpg

Name:  m3206p4492img1.gif
Views: 4310
Size:  159.6 KB

Steel canopy
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-toyotahilux2011doublecabpickupcanopyfinishcolourcodedor236p.jpg
The Comfort of the SUV is much better than pickups even if the suv is built on same platform as the load carrying capacity is different & the suspension is different.

Last edited by jeepster : 1st June 2016 at 18:17.
jeepster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:48   #242
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 407
Thanked: 462 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Thanks, jeepster. This is very useful information. I found the article now that your red canopy piucture comes from.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/02/isu...-new-hard.html

This is seems to be a genuine Isuzu accessory offered in UK. Amazing accessory, with integrated central locking, matching body colors and roof racks, loading bay light, heated rear window etc. It is priced equivalent of around Rs. 1.25 lacs in the UK. I wish Isuzu would offer this accessory in India instead of just a lid as they are doing now.

I have another question - I see that the Dmax truck sold in many other countries (including UK) come with the 2.5 litre Diesel engine producing much higher horsepower and torque figures (160 hp and 400 NM torque) - Is this just a different engine tune or is it a fundamentally different engine?
84.monsoon is online now  
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:56   #243
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,272
Thanked: 2,112 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Thanks, jeepster. This is very useful information. I found the article now that your red canopy piucture comes from.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/02/isu...-new-hard.html

This is seems to be a genuine Isuzu accessory offered in UK. Amazing accessory, with integrated central locking, matching body colors and roof racks, loading bay light, heated rear window etc. It is priced equivalent of around Rs. 1.25 lacs in the UK. I wish Isuzu would offer this accessory in India instead of just a lid as they are doing now.

I have another question - I see that the Dmax truck sold in many other countries (including UK) come with the 2.5 litre Diesel engine producing much higher horsepower and torque figures (160 hp and 400 NM torque) - Is this just a different engine tune or is it a fundamentally different engine?
That is a twin turbo which is available in UK with 160 bhp and 400 NM torque. We get a VGT here. UK also gets a 5 speed Automatic option along with a 6 speed manual. I am waiting for them to launch the Auto as I just hated the hard and notchy gearshifts of the Vcross when I test drove it.
humyum is offline  
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:03   #244
BHPian
 
vvb8530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 204
Thanked: 289 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
That is a twin turbo which is available in UK with 160 bhp and 400 NM torque. We get a VGT here. UK also gets a 5 speed Automatic option along with a 6 speed manual. I am waiting for them to launch the Auto as I just hated the hard and notchy gearshifts of the Vcross when I test drove it.
Is there any information about an AT launch in the pipeline.
vvb8530 is offline  
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:43   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,272
Thanked: 2,112 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Is there any information about an AT launch in the pipeline.
From what the sales man told me, it maybe a year. Maybe he was just loose taking to get me to buy the manual or he really meant it, I don't know.

For personal use, I would not buy a manual. Constant shifting with the Vcross with its notchy and long shift action is bound to cause pain. In just a 1 kilometre of test driving it, I already realised I cannot live with this kind of gear shifts.
humyum is offline  
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:30   #246
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,084
Thanked: 2,284 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Test drove it today.

Isuzu test vehicle available till 6th June for trials on service road only as it is not a dealer demo car.

Drove for about 15 mins.

Initial observations.

Interior quality is like current fortuner.

Steering is too hard at standstill. Parking will be a pain.

Gearshifts are rubbery.

Ride bouncy like Scorpio but in control unlike scorpio.

Very impressive rear and side view. Front a bit commercial vehicle like.

If you like driving with some lights on to serve as DLRs the interior ligts get dimmed too much to be able to do it.

Initial launch offer on accessories is over.

600 units booked till date. 15 by JMD in Mumbai. Some 180 in Chandigarh, 50 in hyd, 100 in Bangalore and 20 odd in Pune.

Delivery in 2 months if booked now.

They have Carryboy hard canopy options for the back. Better than the official lid only option.

Rear camera needed.

Driver seat high if raised one looses thigh support as it is just a pivot that raises the back of the base.

No reach adjustment on steering.

Driver left knee can foul with the centre console.

Pedals soft but long.

Can tackle Rough roads well.

Pulls well from standstill in 3rd gear. Does not stall easily.

Bouncy rear can be felt.

Storme will be more livable but VCross is of better quality.

Wheels are small for the fender clearance given.

Sunvisors and roof of average quality.

Built to last but a truck.

Engine noise is well damped in the vehicle.

ACC is superb.

Much better than xenon overall

SatNav missed. Buy own audio unit?

Steering is a deal breaker for me. Need to recheck in another vehicle. Tyre upsize may make it impossible to live with.

Second row back rest a bit errect but livable.

Power fold mirrors are good.

Doors are heavy.

Back lid is heavy.

Lifestyle vehicle for sure.

Snaps later

Last edited by ACM : 2nd June 2016 at 19:35.
ACM is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:24   #247
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 407
Thanked: 462 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Thanks, ACM - Very crisp and concise.

I hope Isuzu is listening and the Steering feel improves in the full production version. My dealer informed me that the original Isuzu Test Cars were from initial production runs and a number of tweaks and improvements were being made in the final production versions.

BTW, here is a Funky and Unique Design from Carryboy UK for Canopy. Hope this is available as an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-canopy.jpg  

84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:13   #248
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,084
Thanked: 2,284 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Thanks, ACM - Very crisp and concise.

I hope Isuzu is listening and the Steering feel improves in the full production version. My dealer informed me that the original Isuzu Test Cars were from initial production runs and a number of tweaks and improvements were being made in the final production versions.

BTW, here is a Funky and Unique Design from Carryboy UK for Canopy. Hope this is available as an option.
The Dealer did mention the same and implied that the final production version would have a smoother steering. But there is no harm in waiting now that there are no special offers to take.

Plus the initial launch offer on accessories did not make sense for me since I may wish to have a different Audio Head Unit with SatNav and Reverse Camera included, Plus the Load Bay cover is not of the type would consider.

Liked the Carry Boy option you have shown, the Dealer had a carry boy brochure with many interesting options and this could be one of them, not sure. But it seemed to have something for everyone's taste.


Am seriously considering the VCross. A kitted up VCross should end up costing about 18L eventually.

Compared to Hexa:
I'll end up comparing this one with the Hexa. Yes different vehicles. I require only 5 seats. To me the VCross looks better from all but the front, the Hexa too is a good looking vehicle overall except from the sides. It would be much more comfortable, and have many more creature comforts (Plus aged parents can actually get into it) and will also end up at a higher OTR cost for the top variant. The HEXA will likely have AT & AWD. I prefer permanent AWD to one where we select the mode for specific off road use only and are going around in just 2WD most of the time. The big question if the Hexa AWD will come with AT combined or like in the Endy, if so that may be the best option for me. If AT and AWD variants are different they I would have to decide between an Hexa AWD and a VCROSS 4X4. If I am every going to pick up a pickup truck then this is the age for me to do it not 10 yrs later. (am in early 40's).

Compared to New Endy:
The new Endy is of course in a class of it's own but this lands at just about 45% the price of the Endy 4X4 AT top end model that I would consider. Yes lots of creature comforts and some not required. If compared to the Bigger engine Trent 4X4 AT too VCross is less than half the price OTR.

Compared to New Fortuner (when Launched)
New Endy is better in every way except possibly resale value and even price when new.

Compared to Xenon:
Only advantage for current Xenon is the Tata Support. Am of course only comparing with the 2.2 ltr 4X4 variant. The 3Lts engine is agricultural and best for moving milk. - No offence.

Compared to Safari Storme 400 Varicor:
Storme: It too will enjoy better service centre support. Is better in many ways, (Including engine torque and power) and more comfortable, but less rugged and less imposing from the side and rear compared to the VCross. (who would imagine saying something like this for the Storme) I have already lived the Safari life for 10 yrs, time to look beyond.

Compared to preowned Pajero Sport:
Can't buy this new due to the new one being round the corner and the risk of Mitsubishi presence in India. Can take this risk for ISUZU (though they have invested in AP plant.) The issue is Corporate Lease will not be possible for a preowned vehicle and I do wish to save on some Tax in the process. Otherwise a superb deal and vehicle with really good presence. Sadly no AT AWD combo.

Will wait it out and look at the final production version of the VCross. Would love it if an AT version were confirmed also if the bigger engine is coming to India. Could pay upto 2-3L more OTR for this. If there is clarity on Hexa Launch it could help me decide.

I guess I am going to end up waiting till Diwali season. The 2Ltr diesel engine ban issue too may get sorted out by then.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 18:52   #249
BHPian
 
mohanaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Test drove it today.

...
Lifestyle vehicle for sure.

Snaps later
Thanks you @ACM for a crisp review and view points.
What are the price ranges for carryboy canopy, as they import will it be expensive?
mohanaj is offline  
Old 4th June 2016, 00:46   #250
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 41
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

The Ironman canopy comes at 1.9L - http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/t...mo-plas-canopy - stock dealer options will be cheaper
digitalnirvana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 17:25   #251
BHPian
 
mohanaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Here is carryboy brochure for D-Max.
http://www.carryboy.com/download/isu...x_brochure.pdf
mohanaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 18:07   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,877 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

For all those who are looking to buy a pickup, please understand the compromises of buying and living with one. First it's a 4 seater, and no amount of jugaaad will change it into a seven seat uv. The rear bed is for goods, one can't carry passengers in it, unless your friends and relatives like travelling in the back of a truck. Second the rear cab even if enclosed can't be a like a car, there is no aircon , there are leaf springs and the bed sits on and behind the rear axle. Unless one wants to carry big/awkward sized packages a pickup is of no use to a person. Because of its long length it will not fit on narrow twisties and actual dirt tracks. Nor will it be comfortable with a load carrying leaf spring rear.
Be prepared for a light rear end which is prone to fish tailing at high speeds and no loads. Parking is a pain with the uv length of over five meters. Can you live with it as a primary car? I wouldn't. However I know of people who drive to Leh on 100cc mopeds as well...
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 18:43   #253
BHPian
 
SandyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KL
Posts: 238
Thanked: 474 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
guys excited about a pickup truck please hold your horses!! I suggest you rent out a double cab pickup (either Xenon, Gateway or the current DMax) for a weekend and live with it. The pickup truck is 'not' a SUV. It cannot ride as comfortably, its quite skittish without a load, tail happy and frankly not useful if one doesn't need its load carrying abilities. Looks wise, I agree nothing beats the macho appeal of a well kitted pickup, but as a family ride, city commuter and occasional weekend explorer it falls far short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
For all those who are looking to buy a pickup, please understand the compromises of buying and living with one. First it's a 4 seater, and no amount of jugaaad will change it into a seven seat uv. The rear bed is for goods, one can't carry passengers in it, unless your friends and relatives like travelling in the back of a truck. Second the rear cab even if enclosed can't be a like a car, there is no aircon , there are leaf springs and the bed sits on and behind the rear axle. Unless one wants to carry big/awkward sized packages a pickup is of no use to a person. Because of its long length it will not fit on narrow twisties and actual dirt tracks. Nor will it be comfortable with a load carrying leaf spring rear. Be prepared for a light rear end which is prone to fish tailing at high speeds and no loads. Parking is a pain with the uv length of over five meters. Can you live with it as a primary car? I wouldn't. However I know of people who drive to Leh on 100cc mopeds as well...
I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion but i wonder what exactly happened between you & pickup trucks.

About the section in bold, let me present another viewpoint. I guess that would be shared by many who frequent this specific thread.

Say i don't own a farm but have some extra bucks to splurge, gladly accept the reasonable comfort of a well made truck with coil shocks up front, loves the cool factor of a macho pickup truck, prospects of kitting it up, a fun loving nuclear family which shares the same interests, a love for broken roads & acceptable drivability on paved ones & maybe an occasional loaded trip to the unknown, will it be of no use to me? I'd say it'll be of every use to me. The V-cross is just perfect for that, where xenon xt or scorpio getaway doesn't even show up as options.

Can it be daily Indian city ride? Why should it be, it's like expecting a train to float on water. One might already have another vehicle for that. Not every person will dig pick ups so most people who frequent this specific thread must be doing so knowing exactly what they want from the product. Remember this is not touted as an alternate to comfy spoiling SUVs or primary or even secondary car, it's lifestyle class, a different breed.

Last edited by SandyX : 4th June 2016 at 18:51.
SandyX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 19:49   #254
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,877 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion but i wonder what exactly happened between you & pickup trucks.

About the section in bold, let me present another viewpoint. I guess that would be shared by many who frequent this specific thread.

Say i don't own a farm but have some extra bucks to splurge, gladly accept the reasonable comfort of a well made truck with coil shocks up front, loves the cool factor of a macho pickup truck, prospects of kitting it up, a fun loving nuclear family which shares the same interests, a love for broken roads & acceptable drivability on paved ones & maybe an occasional loaded trip to the unknown, will it be of no use to me? I'd say it'll be of every use to me. The V-cross is just perfect for that, where xenon xt or scorpio getaway doesn't even show up as options.

Can it be daily Indian city ride? Why should it be, it's like expecting a train to float on water. One might already have another vehicle for that. Not every person will dig pick ups so most people who frequent this specific thread must be doing so knowing exactly what they want from the product. Remember this is not touted as an alternate to comfy spoiling SUVs or primary or even secondary car, it's lifestyle class, a different breed.
Thank you for emphasising the same things I said in two posts. Lot of people comparing a pickup with an SUV on this very thread, commenting on hard clutches or long throws or canopies etc, it's for them that I am pointing out what a living with a pickup constitutes. It's not a negative rant against a pickup but more like a reality check. Just because you know what to expect in a pickup doesn't mean all feel the same. For heavens sake there are auto magazines which rant about lack of cornering abilities or zero to hundred times or non car like feel of SUVs in their road tests. just saying.
apachelongbow is offline  
Old 4th June 2016, 21:11   #255
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 407
Thanked: 462 Times
Default Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post
Here is carryboy brochure for D-Max.
http://www.carryboy.com/download/isu...x_brochure.pdf
Mohanraj, Can I ask if this is the offering in India or the international offering? In other words, are these accessories available in India through the Isuzu dealer? If so, do you have any information on the prices of the canopy items?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
For all those who are looking to buy a pickup, please understand the compromises of buying and living with one. First it's a 4 seater, and no amount of jugaaad will change it into a seven seat uv.
I beg to disagree on the DMax Vcross being a strict 4-seater. I looked very closely and drove briefly the Isuzu test vehicle and I can confidently say it has superb interior space as compared to any 5-seater car or SUV out there. Compared to the likes of Duster, Vitara Brezza etc., it has way superior interior space in all directions. The width of the rear seat squab, height of the cabin/headroom and the leg room are all very good.

Essentially, let us remember this vehicle comes from the class of mid-size pick-ups internationally such as the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger. D-max competes with these vehicles head on in most markets and is often higher rated by Auto magazines and reviewers there on various parameters. Hilux and Ranger are the base platforms for the Toyota Fortuner/Innova and the Ford Endeavour respectively. In fact one would be hard put to tell the difference between a Hilux, an Innnova Crysta and a Fortuner if you are sitting on the driver's seat, the interiors are identical up to the first two rows.

So it can easily seat 5 people in better comfort than most if not all of the 5-seater cars and SUVs out there. Of course, I am not comparing it to seven seaters like Innova or Fortuner. Also, there is of-course a slightly lower recline angle of the rear seat, which will will be the case for a pick-up always, but this not too bad at all from my driving test.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th June 2016 at 21:19.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross) S2!!! Commercial Vehicles 59 1st May 2016 13:07
Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs parrys Commercial Vehicles 79 30th June 2014 00:10
Isuzu planning Rs 1000 crore plant in India. EDIT: Andhra Pradesh chosen for LCVs Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 18 3rd April 2013 18:24
Bangalore - Manuguru (Andhra Pradesh) route info? benbsb29 Route / Travel Queries 5 11th August 2009 10:41
Andhra pradesh Getting Speed Limit 60kmph Vulken Auto The Indian Car Scene 24 2nd May 2005 12:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks