Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th May 2016, 12:00   #31
BHPian

Default re: Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too

Well, I guess for Indian sub-continent Black is a bad colour. It attracts too much of heat, very difficult to maintain due to high dust content in environment and also from cultural point of view, black is not a preferred good colour.

My first car was black. This was bought in-spite of strong resistance from my parents. Yes, I did realise the mistake during my 7 yrs of ownership But I always wondered who are these guys that buy boring whites! Now with tints banned and practicality I have moved away from black. Now I sail in the same boats of white

Last edited by LoneRidder : 9th May 2016 at 12:01.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 13:48   #32
BHPian

Default re: Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too

Hyundai had also discontinued the black colour from its line-up a couple of years into their life cycles; Santro Xing, i10, Grand i10, i20 (when the 2012 facelift was launched).
promit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 14:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Black is a real difficult color to maintain in our Indian conditions. I have learnt it the hard way.
A lot of superstitious people do not buy black cars, which brings down the resale value.
Also, Indian summers are not kind to a black car, and it's occupants.
But after that wash and TLC, a black car looks the best in the world.

Guess I was naive to buy a black car back in 2009 without paying heed to the above real world facts.
My next car would not be black, that I am sure about !
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 14:36   #34
BHPian

I don't see many Green cars either. Is it because green is reserved for defense vehicles?
frostbite911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 14:40   #35
BHPian

May be Maruti did not get the memo - "You can have it any color as long as it's black".

I have owned a white car, a black one and my current one is bluish. Like most, who posted here, I also believe that a black car has a great road presence. But its easier to maintain lighter shades, especially in India.

And, here is the black beauty, I used to own.
Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-2005-jeep-liberty-030.jpg

Last edited by dj78 : 9th May 2016 at 14:41. Reason: punctuation
dj78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 15:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

So I quickly went through all the manufacturer's websites (excluding premium luxury brands like Audi, Benz etc) to check out which all companies are following the trend of doing away with black color or if it is only Maruti that has started this trend.

Here are the results ->

*Hyundai

Available In Black -

-> Hyundai i20 Active, Hyundai Verna, Hyundai Elantra,Creta and Santa fe.

Not Available In Black

-> i10 iRDE, i10 Grand and Eon

*Honda

Available In Black -

-> Brio, Mobilio

Not Available In Black

-> Amaze, Jazz, City, BR-V, CR-V

*Tata

Available In Black -

-> Safari storme, Safari dicor

Not Available In Black

-> Tiago, Nano, Bolt, Indica, Indigo, Sumo

*Mahindra

Available In Black -

Scorpio, KUV, Thar, Verito, Bolero, xylo, TUV, XUV

Not Available In Black

- N/A

*Ford

Available In Black -

- Figo, Aspire, EcoSport, Fiesta, Endeavour

Not Available In Black

- N/A

*Toyota

Available In Black -

-> Etios Liva, Etios, Etios Cross, Altis, Fortuner,

Not Available In Black

-> Innova Crysta

*Volkswagen

Available In Black -

-> Cross Polo, Jetta

Not Available In Black

-> Polo, Vento,

*Chevrolet

Available In Black -

-> Spark, Beat, Sail, Enjoy, Tavera, Cruze

Not Available In Black

-> N/A

*Renault

Available In Black -

-> Pulse, Scala, Duster, Fluence, Koleos

Not Available In Black

-> Kwid, Lodgy

*Skoda

Available In Black -

-> Octavia, Yeti, Superb

Not Available In Black

-> Rapid

*Fiat

Available In Black -

-> Abarth Punto, Linea, Aventura, Punto

Not Available In Black

-> N/A

*Nissan

Available In Black -

-> Micra, Sunny, Evalia, Terrano,

Not Available In Black

-> N/A

For Maruti, we discussed in the opening post itself. If there is any correction, please do let me know.

As far as I can see, it's not that black is truly going away. Though there are certain models that might not be available in black anymore due to poor demand, resale etc. But the attitude that a car has when it wears black shade is simply unmatched.

And for people who say it is difficult to maintain black color, please do have a look at my 9-year-old black WagonR (Never ever took it to 3M car care or used any high-end expensive wax polishes except for once in a six month use of Formula One Carnauba Wax). Absorbing heat is understandable.

In the end, what all matters if you love the color or not. Matter of personal preference.

Long live the Black!

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-dsc_7070.jpg

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-dsc_7076.jpg

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-imag8288.jpg

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-imag8290.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 9th May 2016 at 15:14.
bluevolt is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 15:38   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
The upkeep is too much to handle for me. There is simply no point in cleaning it & after 6 years of use, it simply shows more age than any other color (even though it's spic & span inside).
Disagreed. Following the simple steps listed in the idiot's guide (Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny), here's how my car looked. 90,000 kms & 8th year running:

This is Vid6639's 7 year old / 60,000 km Altis:

While I agree that it takes a *little* more effort to maintain black, it's certainly not a deal breaker. Some people exaggerate the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
But feel white cars need tints more than black to make them look complete.
I think white looks hot even without tints (of course, even hotter with tints)!

Quote:
I am contemplating putting dark film on the rear windshield of my S and RS to make to enhance the looks from the rear
Why? The rear sunshade of German cars is enough to give a 'tinted look'. Just put the S-Class' screen up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I noticed that regardless of cars make and model a black colour paint job always hid the lines and curves of the design.
Completely & wholeheartedly agreed! It's why I made my brother pick a silver Jetta (he wanted black). Lighter colours just bring those subtle curves out.

GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 16:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
*Honda

Available In Black -

-> Brio, Mobilio

Not Available In Black

-> Amaze, Jazz, City, BR-V, CR-V
Just mentioning a small correction. Amaze and city is available in black, infact my amaze is black in colour. In the attachment you can see my black amaze parked next to a black city.
Black is quite a premium colour , the glossy finish and mirror effect of the black colour is simply gorgeous and no colour can match quite upto the level of it.
I live in the city of Trivandrum and to be frank black is quite a common colour here. Ps. All my cars are black ( Fluence, Amaze, Accent).
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-img_20160509_162753.jpg  

Last edited by AB@TVMBHP : 9th May 2016 at 16:35.
AB@TVMBHP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 17:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB@TVMBHP View Post
Just mentioning a small correction. Amaze and city is available in black, infact my amaze is black in colour. In the attachment you can see my black amaze parked next to a black city.
D
They used to be available in black but Honda has now discontinued black color on City and Amaze. You might check Honda's website.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 00:03   #40
BHPian

Nice medium or navy blues are also hard to find these days. Normally light bluish silver is available. Only a few cars from the maruti stable seem to have medium metallic blues
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 02:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

I wish Maruti launches black Ertiga. I am sure it will look hot in black. Indonesia has black Ertiga but we don't, that's really funny. Some small cars also look very cool in black. Few years back, Black Santro was my dream car. It used to look really good and upmarket than any other color. My friend has Black Alto K10, after few years also it really looks cool. Black color is little difficult to maintain for sure. Dust or mud looks really bad on black cars, looks like old car. But once you wash, it starts shining again
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 07:37   #42
BHPian

Am all for black.....the only colour where you can have "body coloured tyres"!!!!
roovee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 09:26   #43
BHPian

When I was in the market researching for my car, I was advised by Toyota and Skoda sales guy not to go for black colour. They gave three reasons for this:-

1. Black colour is difficult to spot in night by other drivers.

I partially agree to this but do not completely concur as with both the tail lamps functioning it can be easily spotted by fellow drivers. In lighter shades one can spot the make and model of the car while in black one can at least spot the car and easily so.

2. Black colour cars are difficult to maintain.

I love my car and feel that it's quarter of home to me. I have mostly used 3M products, often wax the car myself and while doing so sweat drips off my nose as if I ran few kms. I can assertively say that with this much of effort the gloss, gleam and sheen of a black car would be more accentuated than brilliant silver( As Skoda calls it).

3. Black cars would heat up more and AC will have to work harder as compared to lighter shades.

I feel pity on these kind of people. Irriatingly, I taught the second law of thermodynamics ( System and surrounding concept) to this man explaining how the AC is responsible for cooling the cabin(mostly beige colour) and cabin only which is completely insulated from the outer paint surface of the car.

But, all in all I learnt that demand for Black colour is less because of multiple reasons and so the car manufacturers completely remove the option.

I finally ended up buying a Silver colour car due to unavailability of Black and pressure from my parents for not buying a Black car. Today I am contemplating the idea and option of repainting it to Black (Though its a distant possibility).

It's the colour that symbolises power and confidence; at least in my books.

Last edited by cruising_rapid : 10th May 2016 at 09:30. Reason: Typing errors
cruising_rapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 12:11   #44
BHPian

The first reason I would not buy a black car is because of the amount of increased heat absorption and maintenance(cleaning)

IMO some of the more modern cars do not look so good in black.

Of course, the religious and social angle plays a major role in selecting a black car. Some people prefer a dark grey to a black.

At least bikes have black as an option, even considered as 'the' option.
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 12:12   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post
I feel pity on these kind of people. Irriatingly, I taught the second law of thermodynamics ( System and surrounding concept) to this man explaining how the AC is responsible for cooling the cabin(mostly beige colour) and cabin only which is completely insulated from the outer paint surface of the car.
Wrong! Im pretty sure we do not get heat repellent paint on cars. Where do you think all the heat absorbed by the body is going to? You can quote thermodynamics back here where in, heat flows from higher to lower temperatures to equate itself. And where do you think is the coldest area? Inside the cabin
vamsi2390 is offline   Reply With Quote