Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th May 2016, 10:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra TUV300 to get more powerful engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
On the contrary, I really hope M&M offers any acceptable and viable compensation, like what Maruti did to early S-Cross owners.
The example of Maruti may not hold good in this case. Maruti overpriced their 1.6 S cross at launch and then reduced the price. Here M&M is just introducing a new engine and that too at a higher price

Yes creates a bad vibe overall - since the new engine was all too soon. M&M can offer a special exchange plan, perhaps?
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 11:03   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand what the fuss is about Mahindra bringing an updated version of the vehicle with a more powerful engine!

Every single owner of the TUV 3OO knew exactly what he was getting when he purchased the vehicle. If the vehicle is underpowered, it always was and he knew it and still went ahead with the purchase. It's not like Mahindra shortchanged customers by giving them anything less that what was promised. Every manufacturer reserves the right to change the specifications of the vehicle in future models and existing owners cannot complain or seek compensation unless they received a faulty product or less that what was promised earlier when they booked the vehicle.

Many companies follow the agile trend now responding to costumer requirements and demands in a faster way. We see these examples commonly in the electronics industry. How many people complain about Apple introducing frequent updates to the iPhone? Even in the automobile industry- one well known example is Volkswagen. Polo has received so many updates so frequently that the current product is vastly different from what was launched initially in the market. Don't see many complaints about customers being made fools there! Or is it because Mahindra is an Indian company afterall?

I feel the main reason owners are not happy is because they went ahead and got the vehicle even after the reviews pointed out that it is underpowered. Now that there is a newer version with the power deficit sorted, the decision looks even more worse. But in any case, costumers knew exactly what they were getting into, and except in case of the AMT issues, I don't think Mahindra did anything wrong.

PS- That email is nothing more than a rant IMO. Customers need to be informed of upcoming improvements? Need the same resale as newer versions? Legal actions? Nothing stands ground except in case of the AMT issues IMHO.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th May 2016 at 11:06.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 12:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I don't understand what the fuss is about Mahindra bringing an updated version of the vehicle with a more powerful engine!
No fuss actually. Just some disappointed owners sharing their views.

Quote:
Many companies follow the agile trend now responding to costumer requirements and demands in a faster way. We see these examples commonly in the electronics industry. How many people complain about Apple introducing frequent updates to the iPhone?
Is comparing a 50k phone to a 10lakh car fair? Are their development cycles, costs, target audience, use cases same?

Quote:
Even in the automobile industry- one well known example is Volkswagen. Polo has received so many updates so frequently that the current product is vastly different from what was launched initially in the market. Don't see many complaints about customers being made fools there! Or is it because Mahindra is an Indian company afterall?
Please don't give this a desi-firangi (Indian vs Imported) color. There are plenty of posts on the VW threads as well where current/recent/prospective owners have expressed their displeasure with new features being introduced every 3-6 months.

Quote:
I feel the main reason owners are not happy is because they went ahead and got the vehicle even after the reviews pointed out that it is underpowered. Now that there is a newer version with the power deficit sorted, the decision looks even more worse. But in any case, costumers knew exactly what they were getting into, and except in case of the AMT issues, I don't think Mahindra did anything wrong.
Agree. But at the same time, I do hope M&M offers the AMT owners some kind of resolution.

For the MT owners, if RD box is a possibility, that could take care of the lesser power.

Quote:
PS- That email is nothing more than a rant IMO. Customers need to be informed of upcoming improvements? Need the same resale as newer versions? Legal actions? Nothing stands ground except in case of the AMT issues IMHO.
Agree, the email could have been better worded and that's exactly what I pointed out earlier. It is not a breach of contract so to say, but rather a matter of faith/principle. Whatever M&M decides to do for the early birds, it will completely be a goodwill gesture.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 13:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
That ain't a good example for customer feedback, buddy. It is the responsibility of the car manufacturer to ensure the safety of the customers. Please don't look it as a good will gesture rather it is the duty of the manufacturer to do the recall in such situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Completely agree! Mahindra are lucky in that no one sued them (atleast as far as I know), and also that the sales did not get any impact. That incidence was due to negligent Quality nAssurance in-house, IMO.
In an era of UV & X rays verification which have the sheer capability of findig impurities (Spectrum Analysis) right from Currency Notes, to Micro Chips used in PDAs/Smart Phones, a bunch of alloy wheels cracking due to impure composition is just unacceptable. Add the OEM factor to it, and Mahindra were due for a sue!
I have said this before during the entire alloy wheel breaking fiasco came up and will say it again - what the company should do ethically and morally is true but how many companies actually do it is the question... We have read far too many cases/horror stories from other reputed brands where the customers have been cheated and told on their face that the company is not responsible for their loss and that they are free go the legal way.

Here is one company who is wholeheartedly accepting their mistake and making amends.

I believe a product or a service can have issues, but if the company is willing to sort it out, then that is what earns the goodwill of the customer.

As you can see below, we have more examples of Mahindra listening to customer feedback -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
As per this Autocar report , there are changes to the rear seat as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
Low power and inadequate rear seat comfort were the main reasons for me to back out after making a booking for TUV 300 T8. I bought S Cross 200 Zeta afterwards. I mentioned these points while cancelling my booking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Short review of the updated TUV300 by Overdrive:

Mahindra claims to have increased the under thigh support in the second row.There is also now that provision for isofix seats.

Another addition, which Mahindra says is because of again listening to customers, is that male voice reminding you that you’re using the eco mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
I am copying the mail sent by one of the fellow TUV T8 owner to mahindra officials, as give below:

The purpose of this entire mail is just to bring to your kind attention that we(a group of 250+ TUV owners from various parts of the country) are collectively going to lodge a complaint against Mahindra as breach of trust and dissatisfaction in Consumer Court and with other regulatory authorities in case no solution is provided to us with immediate effect as this is simple cheating on the part of Mahindra and such a behavior is not at all expected and/or acceptable.

I am sorry that the above email is infact "not at all expected and/or acceptable".

He is literally threatening Mahindra that -
  • I test drive your product and knew that it comes with a 80 bhp engine
  • Now, that you have launched a new product with a better engine, I am envious and I want it too
  • If you do not bow in front of my demands, I will surely malign your reputation and take you to court

Going legal in this case is not going to help anyone as Mahindra has not signed any contract with anybody that they will not launch a refreshed version with so and so months or that they will inform everybody in advance before launching a new model!
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 13:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
We have read far too many cases/horror stories from other reputed brands where the customers have been cheated and told on their face that the company is not responsible for their loss and that they are free go the legal way.
Which brands are you talking about, buddy?

Did those brands had issues as severe as alloy breakage or similar?

Safety related problems should be taken very seriously.

Last edited by ecenandu : 14th May 2016 at 14:01.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 13:52   #51
BHPian

While the AMT issues definitely need to be sorted out, introducing a more powerful engine and new features is in no way ethically or morally wrong. Mahindra listed to feedback and improved their vehicle - this is a cause for legal action now?
It does not matter if the product is a 50k mobile phone or 10lakh car, continuous improvement is a fact of life today.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:08   #52
BHPian

Quote:

The purpose of this entire mail is just to bring to your kind attention that we(a group of 250+ TUV owners from various parts of the country) are collectively going to lodge a complaint against Mahindra as breach of trust and dissatisfaction in Consumer Court and with other regulatory authorities in case no solution is provided to us with immediate effect as this is simple cheating on the part of Mahindra and such a behavior is not at all expected and/or acceptable.[/indent]
Were you not aware that the Quanto already had a 100BHP engine? In fact lot of questions were raised as to why M&M were launching TUV with the 84BHP engine when they already had a 100BHP engine? So, if the owners went ahead and bought the initial batch of TUV300 then why blame M&M now if they are bringing in a better engine?

Wasn't the Safari launched with the old 3.0 litre diesel engine before it was replaced by 2.2 DiCor?

Wasn't the Scorpio launched with 2.5CRDe diesel engine before it was replaced by a modern 2.2 mHawk?

Wasn't the Storme launched with the 2.2 Varicor with 320NM and now we have a 400NM Varicor?

Wasn't the Polo launched with the three cylinder 1.2 TDi before it was replaced with the 1.6/1.5 TDi?

Are people planning to sue the above manufacturers as well?
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Were you not aware that the Quanto already had a 100BHP engine? In fact lot of questions were raised as to why M&M were launching TUV with the 84BHP engine when they already had a 100BHP engine? So, if the owners went ahead and bought the initial batch of TUV300 then why blame M&M now if they are bringing in a better engine?

Wasn't the Safari launched with the old 3.0 litre diesel engine before it was replaced by 2.2 DiCor?

Wasn't the Scorpio launched with 2.5CRDe diesel engine before it was replaced by a modern 2.2 mHawk?

Wasn't the Storme launched with the 2.2 Varicor with 320NM and now we have a 400NM Varicor?

Wasn't the Polo launched with the three cylinder 1.2 TDi before it was replaced with the 1.6/1.5 TDi?

Are people planning to sue the above manufacturers as well?
I thing you guys are reading it wrong, its not related to launching or improving their vehicle. Its all about discontinuing a model in just 6 months after launch i.e. TUV 300 AMT mHawk80.

The model is no more listed on specifications page of Mahindra TUV official site and prices are given only till stock last.
ezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:25   #54
BHPian

Going by the present trend, a four cylinder 1.99 ltr engine may just be launched with 4x4. Then what? will the guys who are buying the 100bhp 3cyl feel betrayed?
windiesel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I thing you guys are reading it wrong, its not related to launching or improving their vehicle. Its all about discontinuing a model in just 6 months after launch i.e. TUV 300 AMT mHawk80.

The model is no more listed on specifications page of Mahindra TUV official site and prices are given only till stock last.
Not just AMT but the regular T8 will also be discontinued once stocks are over. Who will buy the normal T8/T8AMT when you can get a better version for just 10k more? Why would Mahindra keep offering the normal T8/T8AMT when no one is going to buy them?
timuseravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:41   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Is comparing a 50k phone to a 10lakh car fair? Are their development cycles, costs, target audience, use cases same?
Even more so in the case of a 10L car. The manufacturer has to be improve constantly, specially when the initial product had a lot of scope for improvement. My test drive experience of the TUV was far from satisfactory. I hated the design and the car was underpowered (but had nice low end torque). I'm glad to see them address atleast one major flaw immediately.

Quote:
Please don't give this a desi-firangi (Indian vs Imported) color. There are plenty of posts on the VW threads as well where current/recent/prospective owners have expressed their displeasure with new features being introduced every 3-6 months.
Have seen only in the recent thread where it was spotted with DRLs days after the facelift. Did we see any complaints when GT TSI replaced the earlier 1.6? When the 90hp diesel replaced the earlier noisy three cylinder?

Quote:
Whatever M&M decides to do for the early birds, it will completely be a goodwill gesture.
That letter was asking for a goodwill gesture while threatening at gunpoint.

Quote:
Its all about discontinuing a model in just 6 months after launch i.e. TUV 300 AMT mHawk80.

Buddy, you agree that the old AMT model had issues and that the new one is supposed to iron the flaws. You also agree that the changes made to the TUV are welcome.

That said, are we blaming Mahindra for acting too fast now?

By the way, your post reminds me of SCross 1.6 (about to), Fabia 1.6, Xcent SX(o) AT etc which went under the axe quite early in their life cycles. It's all about adapting to the market demands as quickly as possible.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 14:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:

That's just one of the point in the email. If that wassuch an important then that should have been the crux of the email but rather it's the last point in the email.

I agree that it's not good on the manufacturer's part to discontinue AMT M80 just 6 months after the launch but you should not be blaming the manufacturer for launch better spec variants!

Last edited by searacer932 : 14th May 2016 at 14:42.
searacer932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 11:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Which brands are you talking about, buddy?

Did those brands had issues as severe as alloy breakage or similar?

Safety related problems should be taken very seriously.
I am not taking names here because more often that not, it does not go well with car owners and results in unnecessary heated debates.

But have we not heard about safety issues like faulty airbags, accelerator pedals, issues with brakes, cars accelerating without driver input, etc.? These are products from well knows giants from Japan and Germany.

As I mentioned, a product should not fail in the ideal world. But realistically, any piece of machinery is prone to some issues. What matters at that point is - how the manufacturer is willing to support it's customers.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 15:29   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

I'd pat Mahindra on the back for updating a car so early in its life.

While I do feel for those who bought the TUV300 84 BHP, well, these are market dynamics. Plain & simple. The more you wait for any purchase, the better a product you will get.

How do those customers feel who:

- Take delivery of their car and the very next day, a facelift is launched.

- Bought an EcoSport, and then Ford slashed the prices?

- Got tired of waiting for the XUV500 AT, bought an MT, only to hear about the AT's launch a week later.

I'm sorry, but you bought the 84 BHP variant fully aware of what lies under the bonnet. Expecting any kind of update or compensation is ridiculous.

On the other hand, Mahindra should definitely make good on the AMT owners who are stuck with troublesome vehicles.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2016 at 16:04.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 15:37   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd pat Mahindra on the back for updating a car so early in its life.
I think the Quanto influenced this move. People realized that a 1.5 L diesel powers these cars, hence they would have given the feedback that they'd prefer a TUV with 100 BHP.

Mahindra waited and launched the TUV 300 with the 100 HP engine after the NuvoSport as they didn't want to kill the product.

Quote:
- Got tired of waiting for the XUV500 MT
Did you mean AT?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote