Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th May 2016, 14:36   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Rumour: BMW evaluating possible launch of the M2 and 330i

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

BMW is evaluating the possibility of launching the M2 in India. Frank Schloeder, the new President of BMW Group India, is known to be a proper enthusiast. So, there is a high possibility of this turning into a reality.

Rumour: BMW evaluating possible launch of the M2 and 330i-1.jpg

The M2 is a 2-door coupe that is powered by a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that puts out 365 BHP and 465 Nm of torque. The engine comes with an Overboost function that helps it produce an extra 35 Nm of torque. Transmission duties are handled by a 7-speed, double-clutch automatic gearbox. BMW claims that the M2 can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in 4.5 seconds and reach a top speed of 250 kph. The car will be brought to India via the CBU route. Hence, it will not take much of an effort to launch it.

Rumour: BMW evaluating possible launch of the M2 and 330i-2.jpg

The 328i sedan will now be called the 330i. BMW is also likely to launch the car in India this year. It comes with a 2-0-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that develops 248 BHP and 350 Nm of torque. The engine is coupled to an 8-speed automatic transmission.

Rumour: BMW evaluating possible launch of the M2 and 330i-3s.jpg

The automobile market in India has swung towards petrol engines over the past months, thanks to the diminishing difference in the prices of petrol and diesel and the ban on the registration of cars with large diesel engines in the National Capital Region. BMW, who had pulled out most of its petrol cars from the market, reintroduced the petrol version of the 3-Series sedan earlier this month. The petrol version of the 5-Series (520i) is also likely to be launched soon.
Aditya is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 14:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: BMW evaluating possible launch of the M2 and 330i

Yes , Its already updated on their website for a while and don't forgot to pick Gigi

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th May 2016 at 14:46.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 17:19   #3
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the information. It would be really great if BMW were to launch the 330i this year.

I have been very patiently waiting for this model. Just hope they price it sensibly.

Also, if possible could you kindly ask your source , when is the launch planned.

Thanks a lot.
Strella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 12:55   #4
BHPian

Feel like a fool for buying the 320d LCI. Damn! I so wanted the Petrol 330i.

Always been a petrolhead.

Any expected launch date? and we are sure the 330i would come in a s CKD?

BMW hasnt even started assembling the 320i or 520i in India, though I am guessing that would start soon.
Nucliomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 21:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

BMW is evaluating the possibility of launching the M2 in India. Frank Schloeder, the new President of BMW Group India, is known to be a proper enthusiast. So, there is a high possibility of this turning into a reality.

Attachment 1508046

The M2 is a 2-door coupe that is powered by a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that puts out 365 BHP and 465 Nm of torque. The engine comes with an Overboost function that helps it produce an extra 35 Nm of torque. Transmission duties are handled by a 7-speed, double-clutch automatic gearbox. BMW claims that the M2 can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in 4.5 seconds and reach a top speed of 250 kph. The car will be brought to India via the CBU route. Hence, it will not take much of an effort to launch it.

Attachment 1508047

The 328i sedan will now be called the 330i. BMW is also likely to launch the car in India this year. It comes with a 2-0-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that develops 248 BHP and 350 Nm of torque. The engine is coupled to an 8-speed automatic transmission.

Attachment 1508048

The automobile market in India has swung towards petrol engines over the past months, thanks to the diminishing difference in the prices of petrol and diesel and the ban on the registration of cars with large diesel engines in the National Capital Region. BMW, who had pulled out most of its petrol cars from the market, reintroduced the petrol version of the 3-Series sedan earlier this month. The petrol version of the 5-Series (520i) is also likely to be launched soon.
Any update on the possible timing of the launch of the BMW 330i.

Thanks.
Old 26th August 2016, 22:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strella View Post
Any update on the possible timing of the launch of the BMW 330i.

Thanks.
I really don't think the 330i will be launched anymore. The 320i has been launched recently, i think they'll stick to that as their petrol 3 series.

I spoke to an SR from BMW, I've known him a few years and he's a good chap, he said they haven't been updated bout any 330i. He said the current 3 line up will stay on, i.e. 320d, 320i and the M3. Though as we all know, best not to trust a salesman.

He did however say that the M2 is possible to launch next year. He specifically said with a wide grin, 2017 will be BMW's year. Quite a few products planned.
New ones; X3, X4, 5 series, 4 series, 2 series and possibly the 7 in a bulletproof avatar. Though this is just me speculating.
I just hope they launch M2 in India, I think its the perfect car.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 22:17   #7
Team-BHP Support

Heard it from the President, Frank himself, that M2 is not planned anytime soon. But he did say lots of exciting products coming soon!
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 10:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Heard it from the President, Frank himself, that M2 is not planned anytime soon. But he did say lots of exciting products coming soon!
Great to hear that. I hope exciting meant cars like 330i or something similar and not cars costing a crore plus, which only sell in very limited numbers.

Why don't these companies spell out their future plans with regard to the cars being launched, so people can plan and wait for the car of their choices. At the auto expo BMW was telling everyone that they will be also launching the X1 with a petrol engine sometime later in the year, but have yet to do the same.