Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th June 2017, 16:04   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Threatening Diesel Bans: Keep or Sell older car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Then, the news of Kerala banning 10+ year old diesel has left me heart-broken. Why? I fear all states govt. including mine (Odisha) will follow the same rule blindly, just to show-off their concern for the society and the environment. Bhubaneswar, being listed at the top of the Smart City list doesn't help my case either.

My concern: My 15-yr old Indica DLS (2001). It has done 1,80,000kms and still going strong, no troubles whatsoever. Not a driver's car, but it has a special place in my heart. I always thought to keep it with me and use it forever, but it seems my dreams will come to an end soon.

I wonder, why should someone sell of his/her vehicle:

1) If it is maintained properly and kept in pristine condition.
2) Checked by RTO, and termed healthy for another 5 years.
3) If it clears the pollution check standards set by Govt.
I agree.

In the US, I've seen extremely well-maintained 20 year old vehicles plying on the roads.

Sadly, we have it in our mindset to *not* preserve things, and we are experts in destroying old things (this is seen in the way we maintain anything, be it roads, footpaths, streetlights, or vehicles; Just see a few YouTube clips from 1950's and 60's and see how lovely our cities used to look in those days. In contrast, just see any Hollywood movie from the 1960s and even today in 2017, you will see some things unchanged, such as the way footpaths were constructed then and now, the way a postbox looked then and now, etc).

This mindset of "its ok to destroy" has then been carried forth by the babudom to be extended to privately owned cars too (amongst other vehicles), not realizing that privately owned cars are often maintained very well. Of course, there are exceptions.

Instead of a blanket ban, they should require an annual RTO check along with a decal sticker system as in the US, etc so that the the decal sticker is easily visible from 10 meters away for any peace officer (cops) to check. (but of course, knowing our public, someone would then figure out to make fake decal stickers!)

Its possible that this ban is also a result of the SIAM lobby, to increase vehicle sales. But I dread to think of the disposal menace. Where would the outgoing cars be junked? I dont see our cities having space for junkyards, nor a system in place for manufacturers to buy back junk for scrap value or whatever and smelt and recycle them, etc. Sad.

Last edited by vharihar : 13th June 2017 at 16:07.
vharihar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 07:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
....Instead of a blanket ban, they should require an annual RTO check along with a decal sticker system......
Though I sympathize with all members who love their old diesel cars (my Scorpio is an immaculate 2004 non-CRDE model which I love dearly), the above observation I feel, is misplaced optimism.

It is so easy to bye-pass RTO regs. concerning pollution (just recall how many times one actually faces an emission check with a sensor up the tail pipe at a PUC check van, as against the casual exchange of a 100 rupee note for a brand new PUC-checked sticker for the wind-shield - I have Lucknow, UP in mind) that one doesn't give a thought before going in for a check.

In order to enforce anti-pollution checks in India, the mind-set of the decades-ingrained tendency to opt for easy short-cuts at the interface of public/babu-dom, must first be permanently erased. This is why we have the planet's largest list of civil regulations/laws with zero enforcement - starting from anti-littering & anti-nuisance (read public urination/defecation) rules to the more serious ones like the million loop-holes in our real-estate acquisition/disposal/construction bye-laws.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 09:55.
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 09:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post

It is so easy to bye-pass RTO regs. concerning pollution (just recall how many times one actually faces an emission check with a sensor up the tail pipe at a PUC check van, as against the casual exchange of a 100 rupee note for a brand new PUC-checked sticker for the wind-shield - I have Lucknow, UP in mind) that one doesn't give a thought before going in for a check.
Quite surprised to read this actually. In the past 10-15 years never once have I done (or even offered) PUC test without sensor up the tail pipe. I am speaking about Kerala and Karnataka. Seems to be an issue to be dealt at your place. Or may be I never requested them
sam_sant2005 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 15:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Quite surprised to read this actually. In the past 10-15 years never once have I done (or even offered) PUC test without sensor up the tail pipe. I am speaking about Kerala and Karnataka. Seems to be an issue to be dealt at your place. Or may be I never requested them
All too true! Each time I have to request them to carry out an actual up-the-tail-pipe check. They are quite used to the other kind - casual exchange, one for the other.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 13:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
I am speaking about Kerala and Karnataka. Seems to be an issue to be dealt at your place. Or may be I never requested them
Can be easily done in Tamil Nadu. They will do a formality check only if you take the vehicle .

Instead you can take a photo of the vehicle and give it to them , they will issue PUC without any checking.

The cops don't check for PUC here. So it's not a big deal. Anyways the reports even when checked show pollution level at 10-20% of the maximum limit.
Ragavsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 00:20   #36
BHPian

Question Re: Threatening Diesel Bans: Keep or Sell older car?

What are the rules in Karnataka?

Our 2009 Swift Diesel will complete 10 years in another couple of years. Would have to plan now, if this rule is going to be implemented here.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote